Proof involving ##ω(ξ,n)=u(x,y)## - Partial differential equations

In summary: in summary, the coefficients of the derivatives of w are found by taking the derivative of the transform with respect to each variable and adding them together.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
kindly see attached.
Relevant Equations
Partial differential equations
1650259579487.png

I am going through this page again...just out of curiosity, how did they arrive at the given transforms?, ...i think i get it...very confusing...
in general,
##U_{xx} = ξ_{xx} =ξ_{x}ξ_{x}= ξ^2_{x}## . Also we may have
##U_{xy} =ξ_{xy} =ξ_{x}ξ_{y}.## the other transforms follow in a similar manner.

Physics news on Phys.org
The chain rule for derivatives.
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: kindly see attached.
Relevant Equations:: Partial differential equations

i think i get it...very confusing...
in general,
Uxx=ξxx=ξxξx=ξx2 . Also we may have
Uxy=ξxy=ξxξy. the other transforms follow in a similar manner.
No, this is incorrect. You are missing the derivatives of w. For example:
$$
u_x = w_\xi \xi_x + w_\eta \eta_x
$$
and so on. There seems to be an implicit assumption that the transformation is linear or the higher derivatives would also contain higher derivatives of the new variables.

Likes chwala
ok the way i understand it is,
##ω(ξ, n)=u(x,y)##
##ω(ξ, n)=ξ(x,y)+η(x,y)##
##u_x##=##\frac{∂ω}{∂ξ}⋅\frac{∂ξ}{∂x}##+##\frac{∂ω}{∂η}⋅\frac{∂η}{∂x}##
##u_x=ω_ξ⋅ξ_x+ω_η⋅η_x##

chwala said:
ok the way i understand it is,
##ω(ξ, n)=u(x,y)##
##ω(ξ, n)=ξ(x,y)+η(x,y)##
##u_x=ω_ξ⋅ξ_x+ω_η⋅η_x##
No, this is incorret. You do not know that w is a sum of xi and eta. It may be any function.

Orodruin said:
No, this is incorret. You do not know that w is a sum of xi and eta. It may be any function.
Lol...let me look at this again...
The correct approach should be, since ##ξ =ξ (x,y)## is a function of ##x## and ##y## and
##η= η(x,y)## being also a function of ##x## and ##y##, then using the transform ##ω(ξ,n)=u(x,y)##, we shall have
##u_x=ω_ξ⋅ξ_x+ω_η⋅η_x##

Last edited:
Quite interesting how they came up with the transformations...its some bit of work. To go straight to the point we have,
##u_x=ξ_x ⋅ω_ξ+η_x⋅ω_η## it follows that,
##u_{xx}=u_x ⋅u_x=(ξ_x ⋅ω_ξ+η_x⋅ω_η)(ξ_x ⋅ω_ξ+η_x⋅ω_η)=ξ^2_x⋅ω_{ξξ}+2ξ_x⋅ η_xω_{ξη}+η^2_x⋅ω_{ηη}##
##u_{xy}=u_x ⋅u_y=(ξ_x ⋅ω_ξ+η_x⋅ω_η)(ξ_y ⋅ω_ξ+η_y⋅ω_η)=ξ_xξ_y ω_{ξξ}+(ξ_x⋅ η_y+ξ_y⋅ η_x)ω_{ξη}+η_xη_yω_{ηη}##
##u_{yy}=u_y ⋅u_y=(ξ_y ⋅ω_ξ+η_y⋅ω_η)(ξ_y ⋅ω_ξ+η_y⋅ω_η)=ξ^2_y⋅ω_{ξξ}+2ξ_y⋅ η_yω_{ξη}+η^2_y⋅ω_{ηη}##

Now what they simply did in finding ##α## for e.g is by putting all coefficients of ##ω_{ξξ}## together, i.e on the pde of the form;

##au_{xx}+2bu_{xy}+cu_{yy}+...##

##α##= ##[aξ^2_x+2bξ_xξ_y+cξ^2_y]ω_{ξξ}##

Coming to the coefficients of ##ω_{ξη}##, we shall be getting ##β## i.e;
##β##=##[2aξ_x⋅ η_x+2b(ξ_x⋅ η_y+ξ_y⋅ η_x)+2cξ_y⋅ η_y]ω_{ξη}##
##β##=##[aξ_x⋅ η_x+b(ξ_x⋅ η_y+ξ_y⋅ η_x)+cξ_y⋅ η_y]ω_{ξη}##

the other transforms, ##δ, ϒ ##and ##∈## can be found similarly... i always try to use my own way of thinking ...and also utilizing your input...much appreciated guys...cheers @Orodruin thanks mate. Bingo!

Last edited:

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What is the role of ##ω(ξ,n)=u(x,y)## in a partial differential equation?

The function ##ω(ξ,n)=u(x,y)## is the solution to the partial differential equation. It represents the relationship between the variables and their partial derivatives, and it can be used to predict the behavior of the system being studied.

3. How is the solution to a partial differential equation determined?

The solution to a partial differential equation is determined through a combination of mathematical techniques and physical interpretations. These techniques include separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical methods.

4. What is the significance of ##ω(ξ,n)=u(x,y)## in scientific research?

The function ##ω(ξ,n)=u(x,y)## is used in many areas of scientific research, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows researchers to model and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Can partial differential equations be solved analytically?

Some partial differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be obtained. However, many equations are too complex to be solved analytically, and numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.