Proof of convergence and divergence

In summary: If you've done series, try the ratio test to see if the series converges. If the series converges then the sequence must converge to zero.You can use ##4! > 4 \cdot 3 > 3^2##, ##5! > 3^3##, ##6! > 3^4##, etc., to get a useful bound on ##2^n/n!##. Alternatively, you can use Stirling's Formula for the asymptotic behavior of ##n!##, but that seems like overkill in the present case.
CookieSalesman

Homework Statement

Does \frac{2^{n}}{n!} converge or diverge?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there more than one way to prove this?
I would appreciate a few directions.
I've been trying the Squeeze theorem for a long time.
I said 1/n! was smaller, but I have no damn idea how to say what's bigger. I COULD figure out how to say \frac{n!}{n^{n}} was convergent, with the squeeze theorem, but this is really difficult.
Is the squeeze theorem the only way?
Would appreciate some good hints.

Wait, what the heck, how do I get latex to work?
Oh well I think you can all figure out what's written
The first equation is plainly (2^n)/n!
The second one is n!/(n^n)

Physics news on Phys.org
CookieSalesman said:

Homework Statement

Does \frac{2^{n}}{n!} converge or diverge?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there more than one way to prove this?
I would appreciate a few directions.
I've been trying the Squeeze theorem for a long time.
I said 1/n! was smaller, but I have no damn idea how to say what's bigger. I COULD figure out how to say \frac{n!}{n^{n}} was convergent, with the squeeze theorem, but this is really difficult.
Is the squeeze theorem the only way?
Would appreciate some good hints.

Wait, what the heck, how do I get latex to work?
Oh well I think you can all figure out what's written
The first equation is plainly (2^n)/n!
The second one is n!/(n^n)

For ##f_n = 2^n / n!##, do you really mean you want to know if ##t_n## itself converges (exactly as you have written), or do you actually want to determine if ##\sum t_n## converges? The reason I ask is that often posters write the former when they mean the latter.

Oh, I would like to know if the sequence converges, not the series.
But just wondering, if the sequence does converge it won't mean the series does, right?
Could you help me see if the series converges as well?

One way to look at it is that, for a given n, both n! and [itex]2^n[/itex] have n factors. But n- 2 of the factors of n! are larger than 2.

CookieSalesman said:
But just wondering, if the sequence does converge it won't mean the series does, right?

If you've done series, try the ratio test to see if the series converges. If the series converges then the sequence must converge to zero.

CookieSalesman said:

You can use ##4! > 4 \cdot 3 > 3^2##, ##5! > 3^3##, ##6! > 3^4##, etc., to get a useful bound on ##2^n/n!##. Alternatively, you can use Stirling's Formula for the asymptotic behavior of ##n!##, but that seems like overkill in the present case.

Related to Proof of convergence and divergence

What is proof of convergence and divergence?

Proof of convergence and divergence is a mathematical concept used to determine whether a sequence or series of numbers approaches a finite limit (convergence) or diverges to infinity (divergence).

What is the difference between convergence and divergence?

The main difference between convergence and divergence is that a convergent sequence or series approaches a specific limit, while a divergent sequence or series does not have a limit and continues to increase or decrease without bound.

How is proof of convergence and divergence used in real life?

Proof of convergence and divergence is used in various fields such as finance, physics, and engineering to model and predict the behavior of systems and processes. For example, it is used in the stock market to analyze trends and predict future prices, and in physics to model the behavior of particles and waves.

What are some common methods of proving convergence and divergence?

Some common methods of proving convergence and divergence include the ratio test, the root test, the integral test, and the comparison test. These methods involve comparing the given sequence or series to a known convergent or divergent sequence or series.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving convergence and divergence?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving convergence and divergence include assuming that a series is convergent or divergent without proper proof, using incorrect comparison sequences or series, and not considering the limit of the sequence or series in the final answer.