Proof of integral identity (popped up in a Fourier transform)

In summary, a proof of integral identity is a technique used to show that two integrals are equal to each other. It involves manipulating the integrals using algebraic and trigonometric identities. These proofs are important in Fourier transforms as they show equivalence between a function and its Fourier transform. Different methods, such as substitution and integration by parts, can be used for proving integral identities. They can also be applied to other types of integrals, but are most commonly used in the context of Fourier transforms.
phagist_

Homework Statement

Prove;
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{sin(\gamma)}{cosh(\lambda)-cos(\gamma)} e^{i \omega \lambda}d \lambda= 2 \pi \frac{sinh(\omega(\pi-\gamma))}{sinh(\pi \omega)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Contour Integration/Residue Theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have messed around with the exponential for a bit, but to no avail - I was thinking maybe the Residue theorem might play a part? I'm not really sure how to continue from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas? I am legitimately stumped on this one..

Related to Proof of integral identity (popped up in a Fourier transform)

What is a "Proof of integral identity"?

A proof of integral identity is a mathematical technique used to show that two integrals are equal to each other. It is often used in the context of Fourier transforms, where it is used to show that a function and its Fourier transform are equivalent.

How does a proof of integral identity work?

A proof of integral identity works by manipulating the integrals using algebraic and trigonometric identities to show that they are equal. This often involves breaking down the integrals into simpler forms and then rearranging them until they are equivalent.

Why are proofs of integral identity important in Fourier transforms?

Proofs of integral identity are important in Fourier transforms because they allow us to show that a function and its Fourier transform are equivalent. This is useful in many applications, such as signal processing and data analysis.

Are there different methods for proving integral identities?

Yes, there are different methods for proving integral identities. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and using trigonometric identities. The specific method used will depend on the specific integral identity being proven.

Can proofs of integral identity be used for other types of integrals?

Yes, proofs of integral identity can be used for other types of integrals besides Fourier transforms. They can be used to show equivalence between any two integrals, as long as the appropriate techniques are used. However, they are most commonly used in the context of Fourier transforms.