PROOF: Quantum Fidelity with pure states

As a check, you could try it for two two-dimensional systems, where you can use ##\sigma_x, \sigma_y, \sigma_z## and Pauli matrices for the three possible bases.In summary, the quantum fidelity between two pure states is given by the square of the inner product of the two states. This can also be expressed as the trace of the product of the two states, when expressed in the same orthonormal basis. This can be derived by expanding the states in the same basis and then taking the trace, which results in the summation of the probabilities of the two states squared. This can also be confirmed by using the Pauli matrices for two two-dimensional systems.
Alex Dingo
Hi, I'm currently working on showing the relation of quantum fidelity:

The quantum “fidelity” between two pure states ρ1 = |ψ1⟩⟨ψ1| and ρ2 = |ψ2⟩⟨ψ2| is given by |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2.
Show that this quantity may be written as Tr(ρ1ρ2).

I've been following the wikipedia page on fidelity but can't understand it.

If I assume the statement is true and start from the Tr(ρ1ρ2) = Tr(|ψ1⟩⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩⟨ψ2|) I'm trying to find how I can reduce this, perhaps with summations to arrive at |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2 - can anyone suggest which direction to go in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expressing both states in the same orthonormal basis.

Thanks
Bill

Likes DarMM
bhobba said:
Try expressing both states in the same orthonormal basis.

Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill,

If I express Ψ1=∑√(p(x))|x> and Ψ2=∑√(q(x))|x> such that they are both expressed in the basis of x and compute |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2 I find Is equal to ∑[√p(x)√q(x)]^2 <x|x> such that I am left with Σp(x)q(x) which is a summation of their probabilities over x. Can I then relate the relation that the sum of p(x) and p(x) is 1 to make the link between the final result of Tr(p1p2) or have I made a mistake?
Thanks,
Alex.

Alex Dingo said:
If I express Ψ1=∑√(p(x))|x> and Ψ2=∑√(q(x))|x> such that they are both expressed in the basis of x and compute |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|^2 I find Is equal to ∑[√p(x)√q(x)]^2 <x|x> such that I am left with Σp(x)q(x) which is a summation of their probabilities over x.
First, get rid of those square roots, which don't make any sense, since the expansion coefficients are complex numbers:
$$
\psi_1 = \sum_n p_n | n \rangle
$$
with ##p_n \in \mathbb{C}##.

After you have done that and calculated ##| \langle \psi_1 | \psi_2 \rangle |^2##, do it also for the trace of ##\rho_1 \rho_2## over the same basis.

Likes bhobba
DrClaude said:
First, get rid of those square roots, which don't make any sense, since the expansion coefficients are complex numbers:
$$
\psi_1 = \sum_n p_n | n \rangle
$$
with ##p_n \in \mathbb{C}##.

After you have done that and calculated ##| \langle \psi_1 | \psi_2 \rangle |^2##, do it also for the trace of ##\rho_1 \rho_2## over the same basis.
Hi DrCloud,

So the result for calculating ##| \langle \psi_1 | \psi_2 \rangle |^2## I found it equat to ##\Sigma p^2_n q^2_n ##. As for the calculation with the trace. I find
## Tr(\rho_1 \rho_2) = Tr(\langle n | \Sigma p^2_n |n\rangle \langle n | \Sigma q^2_n |n\rangle ##

From this point I can take the summations outside the trace and which leave ## \Sigma p^2_n q^2_n Tr( \langle n|n \rangle \langle n|n \rangle) ##
Although this final result with a number inside the trace I'm not sure I've done correctly.

Thanks,
Alex.

Alex Dingo said:
From this point I can take the summations outside the trace and which leave ## \Sigma p^2_n q^2_n Tr( \langle n|n \rangle \langle n|n \rangle) ##
Although this final result with a number inside the trace I'm not sure I've done correctly.
You seem to be holding on too long to the trace operation. Consider
$$
\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{A}) = \sum_n \langle n | \hat{A} | n \rangle
$$

DrClaude said:
You seem to be holding on too long to the trace operation. Consider
$$
\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{A}) = \sum_n \langle n | \hat{A} | n \rangle
$$

Hi,
Okay this makes more sense, I forgot about this relationship.

I have computed this with ##\hat{A} = p1p2##
I find that ## \mathrm{Tr}(p1p2)=\Sigma\langle n | p_n|n\rangle \langle n | p_n q_n |n \rangle \langle n| q_n | n \rangle ##
which reduces to ## \Sigma p_n^2 q_n^2 ## as desired ?

Alex Dingo said:
I find that ## \mathrm{Tr}(p1p2)=\Sigma\langle n | p_n|n\rangle \langle n | p_n q_n |n \rangle \langle n| q_n | n \rangle ##
I'm not sure how you got there (that is, I can't vouch that you did everything right), but the final result is correct.

1. What is quantum fidelity?

Quantum fidelity is a measure of how similar two quantum states are. It is a way of quantifying the closeness or accuracy of a quantum system to its desired or ideal state.

2. How is quantum fidelity calculated?

Quantum fidelity is calculated by taking the inner product of the two quantum states and squaring the absolute value of the result. It can also be calculated using the trace of the square root of the density matrices of the two states.

3. What is the significance of quantum fidelity?

Quantum fidelity is important because it allows us to assess the performance of quantum systems and algorithms. It can also be used to measure the success of quantum error correction and fault-tolerant quantum computing.

4. How is quantum fidelity related to quantum entanglement?

Quantum fidelity is closely related to quantum entanglement, as entanglement is a key factor in determining the fidelity between two quantum states. In general, higher entanglement leads to higher fidelity.

5. Can quantum fidelity be greater than 1?

No, quantum fidelity is always between 0 and 1, with 1 representing perfect fidelity or an exact match between two states. A fidelity greater than 1 would imply a higher level of similarity than an exact match, which is not possible.