Proofs with continuity and absolute values

In summary, the conversation is about proving three different propositions, related to a continuous function f on [0,1]. The first proposition states that for any number c, the maximum value of |cf| on [0,1] is equal to the product of |c| and the maximum value of |f| on [0,1]. The second proposition states that the maximum value of |f+g| on [0,1] is less than or equal to the sum of the maximum values of |f| and |g| on [0,1]. The third proposition states that the maximum value of |h-f| on [0,1] is less than or equal to the sum of the maximum values of |
mscbuck

Homework Statement

-F is a continuous function on [0,1], so let ||f|| be the maximum value of |f| on [0,1]

a. Prove that for any number c we have ||cf|| = |c|[tex]\ast[/tex]||f||

b. Prove that ||f + g|| [tex]\leq[/tex] ||f|| + ||g||.

c. Prove that ||h - f|| [tex]\leq[/tex] ||h - g|| + ||g - f||

Homework Equations

Based on the statement, we know f is continuous so we know a limit exists for f(x), f(a) exists, and that the limit of f(x) as x-->a = f(a).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have solved part a.). My attempt begins by saying that since |cf| (x) = |c| [tex]\ast[/tex] f(x), so if y is where |f| will reach its maximum value. Therefore:

f|y| = ||f|| , so therefore:

|c|[tex]\ast[/tex]|f(y)| [tex]\geq[/tex] |cf(x)|

|cf(y)| = ||cf||

Is that enough for part a? I am stuck somewhat at parts b and c. My instructor said this is an exercise in placing the absolute value signs and parentheses perfectly at just the right times, but I"m afraid I'm not seeing those times! Some first steps to take would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do know that [tex] |f| [/itex] is continous, so there is some point [tex] y \in [0,1] [/tex] that satisfies

[tex]
|f(y)| = \max_{x \in [0,1]} |f(x)|
[/tex]

This should help with `a'.

For the others, think along these lines to start

a) For any numbers (or function values) [tex] |a + b| \le |a| = |b|[/tex]

b) It is also true that [tex] |a - b| \le |a - c| + |c - b| [/tex].

Related to Proofs with continuity and absolute values

1. What is continuity in mathematics?

Continuity in mathematics refers to the property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, a function is continuous if it has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph.

2. How is continuity related to limits?

Continuity is closely related to limits, as it is defined in terms of limits. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function as the input approaches that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the definition of absolute value?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on a number line. It is always a positive number, as distance cannot be negative. It is denoted by |x|, and can be calculated as the positive value of x if x is positive, or the negative value of x if x is negative.

4. How do you prove a function is continuous?

To prove a function is continuous, you must show that it satisfies the definition of continuity. This means showing that the limit of the function exists at a given point, and is equal to the value of the function at that point. Additionally, you must also show that the function is continuous at all other points in its domain.

5. How do absolute values affect continuity of a function?

Absolute values do not affect the continuity of a function, as they only change the output of the function and not its behavior. However, when working with absolute values, it is important to consider the cases where the input is positive or negative, as the function may have different behavior or limits at these points.