Proper Time Interval: A Puzzler

In summary, the proper time interval in Special Relativity is defined as the time between two events measured by an observer who sees the events occur at the same point in space within their frame of reference. This can cause confusion when considering different perspectives, but ultimately it depends on the reference frame being used.
cdenne
Hello. I'm having trouble figuring out from which perspective to measure the proper time interval for Special Relativity. In the textbook, the definition says it's "the time interval between two events measured by an observer who sees the events occur at the same point in space." But in the derivation of the formula for time dilation, the authors use an example with two observers, one on a moving train, one stationary on Earth. The observer on the train measures the proper time interval as being the time it takes for a beam from a flashlight to go up (directly vertical), bounce off a mirror on the ceiling directly above the observer and return to the flashlight. But as I see it, the observer is not viewing the two events (the light leaving the flashlight and the light returning to the flashlight) at the same point in space because they've moved down the track and are in a different position from when the light left the flashlight. If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much Special Relativity, so sorry if I'm wrong.

cdenne said:
because they've moved down the track and are in a different position from when the light left the flashlight.

They've only "moved down the track" from the perspective of someone outside of the train. Within the train perspective, though, the flashlight's "position" is the same.

Thank you for your response. I thought about that as I was typing the post. "The same position in space" probably refers to the reference frame in which the two events take place. From that perspective, the observer on the train is still in the same position on the train when both events occur whereas the observer outside the train has moved by the time the second event occurs.

cdenne said:
In the textbook, the definition says it's "the time interval between two events measured by an observer who sees the events occur at the same point in space." .

Yes, you have figured it out (in post#3). It should say "by an observer who sees the events occur at the same point in space IN HIS FRAME OF REFERENCE".

There is no such thing as a "point in space" except as referenced against some OTHER point. That is "point in space" is frame dependent.

Great. Thank you.

1. What is a "Proper Time Interval"?

A Proper Time Interval is a concept used in the theory of relativity to measure the time between two events that occur at the same location in space. It takes into account the effects of time dilation, which is the slowing of time due to differences in relative velocity and gravitational fields.

2. How is a Proper Time Interval calculated?

The Proper Time Interval is calculated using the equation Δτ = √(Δt² - Δx²/c²), where Δτ is the Proper Time Interval, Δt is the time interval measured by a stationary observer, Δx is the distance between the two events, and c is the speed of light.

3. What does a positive or negative Proper Time Interval represent?

A positive Proper Time Interval represents the time measured by a stationary observer between two events that occur in the same location. A negative Proper Time Interval represents the time measured by an observer in motion between two events that occur at different locations.

4. How does time dilation affect the Proper Time Interval?

Time dilation, which is the slowing of time due to differences in relative velocity and gravitational fields, affects the Proper Time Interval by increasing it for observers in motion. This means that the Proper Time Interval measured by an observer in motion will be longer than the interval measured by a stationary observer.

5. Can the Proper Time Interval ever be negative?

No, the Proper Time Interval cannot be negative as it is a measure of the time between two events that occur at the same location. Even if an observer is in motion, the Proper Time Interval will always be positive.