Properties of -COOR functional group?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of COOR, an electron withdrawing group. It is compared to other functional groups in terms of its +I or -I effect and whether it induces a +R or -R effect. While it is considered a weaker +I group compared to COOH and SO3H, it may still have a resonance effect due to the C=O bond rather than the O-R bond. It is also noted that COOR may have a meta-directing effect in electrophilic substitutions on Ar-COOR and may undergo addition in beta in alpha-beta unsaturated esters.
kay
By properties I mean the +I or -I effect as compared to other functional groups along with whether it induces a +R or -R effect?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
COOR is an electron withdrawing group. But I don't think it shows resonance due to O-R bond.
It is a weaker +I group than COOH and SO3H

Likes kay
AdityaDev said:
COOR is an electron withdrawing group. But I don't think it shows resonance due to O-R bond.
It is a weaker +I group than COOH and SO3H
Thank you. :D

I think I was taught COOR was a meta-directing group in electrophylic substitutions on Ar-COOR; and alpha-beta unsaturated esters do undergo addition in beta.
So in theory it does have a 'resonance' effect. Not because of the O-R bond, but because of the C=O bond.

Likes kay
lavoisier said:
I think I was taught COOR was a meta-directing group in electrophylic substitutions on Ar-COOR; and alpha-beta unsaturated esters do undergo addition in beta.
So in theory it does have a 'resonance' effect. Not because of the O-R bond, but because of the C=O bond.
Thank you. :)

Related to Properties of -COOR functional group?

1. What is the chemical structure of the -COOR functional group?

The -COOR functional group is composed of a carbonyl group (-C=O) bonded to an alkyl or aryl group (-R) and a single bonded oxygen (-O). This functional group is commonly found in esters, which are organic compounds formed by the reaction of an alcohol and a carboxylic acid.

2. What are the physical properties of compounds containing the -COOR functional group?

Compounds containing the -COOR functional group tend to have low boiling points, are generally insoluble in water, and have distinct odors. They also exhibit polar properties due to the presence of the carbonyl group, making them capable of forming hydrogen bonds with other molecules.

3. What are the chemical properties of the -COOR functional group?

The -COOR functional group is prone to hydrolysis, meaning it can be broken down by water. This reaction produces a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. Additionally, esters can undergo transesterification, a reaction in which the -COOR group is replaced with another alcohol, and saponification, a reaction in which the -COOR group is cleaved by a strong base to form a carboxylate salt and an alcohol.

4. How does the -COOR functional group affect the reactivity of a compound?

The -COOR functional group is electron-withdrawing, meaning it can pull electrons away from neighboring atoms. This results in a more polar and reactive compound, as the carbonyl group can act as an electrophile in nucleophilic substitution reactions. The presence of the -COOR group also makes a compound more susceptible to hydrolysis and other reactions mentioned above.

5. What are the common uses of compounds containing the -COOR functional group?

Compounds with the -COOR functional group are commonly used as flavorings and fragrances in the food and cosmetic industries. They are also used as solvents, plasticizers, and in the production of pharmaceuticals. In addition, esters are important intermediates in the production of other organic compounds.