Properties of fields in quantum field theory

In summary, quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of particles and their interactions in terms of fields. These fields have properties such as energy and momentum, and they can be quantized to represent discrete particles. One key aspect of quantum field theory is the concept of symmetry, which dictates the interactions between particles and their corresponding fields. Another important property is renormalization, which accounts for the effects of virtual particles and allows for more accurate calculations. Overall, understanding the properties of fields in quantum field theory is crucial for studying the fundamental nature of matter and energy.
space-time
I have been studying quantum field theory and I am currently in the Lagrangian field theory chapter in my book. Now it says that the energy momentum tensor is as follows:

Tμν= [∂L/∂(∂μφ) * ∂νφ] - δμνL

Note: I am using L to symbolize Lagrangian density and not just Lagrangian since the latex box doesn't have the curly L in it. Those two indices on the term on the right go to the Kronecker delta, not to the L.

It follows up by saying that

T00 = [∂L/∂φ' * φ'] - L (in the book, they have φ with a dot over it instead of φ' )

Now I just want to verify some things:

Does φ with a dot over it (or φ' ) refer to ∂φ/∂t ?

If so, then this would be the velocity of the field correct, since it is the first time derivative? I ask this because unlike in the classical mechanics example problems that the book gave (where I was just dealing with position functions of time), fields φ(x,t) are functions of both time and space.

Also, how does a field itself have a velocity if it permeates all of space? I could see how the particles that are generated from fluctuations of said field have a velocity. How does the field itself have a velocity? Does velocity for a field refer to how fast the particles generated from that field move or how fast the field's fluctuations are? Is it something else?

Finally, how can a field itself have mass? If you plug a Lagrangian density into the Euler Lagrange equations for some given Lagrangian densities, then you sometimes get mass terms in the equations of motion that you derive? Once again, I see how a particle that comes from a field has mass, but I don't see how the field itself has mass (example, I see how the gluon has mass, but how does the strong field have mass?)

Physics news on Phys.org
As to the last question about the fields having mass, I would suppose (if I am incorrect please correct me) that since the fields have energy, they must also have a mass equivalent to that energy.

snatchingthepi said:
As to the last question about the fields having mass, I would suppose (if I am incorrect please correct me) that since the fields have energy, they must also have a mass equivalent to that energy.

That's not true. Its a VERY VERY common misconception and anyone that believes can be excused. E=MC^2 says mass is a form of energy. Energy comes in a lot of forms eg EM field energy - mas is simply one of those forms. It does not imply energy is a form of mass.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
That's not true. Its a VERY VERY common misconception an anyone that believes can be excused. E=MC^2 says mass is a form of energy. Energy comes in a lot of forms eg EM field energy - mas is simply one of those forms. It does not imply energy is a form of mass.

Thanks
Bill

May you please PM some of the details, or refer me to a section in a book or even a Wikipedia article so that I can learn more about what you're saying?

space-time said:
Does φ with a dot over it (or φ' ) refer to ∂φ/∂t ?

Yes

space-time said:
If so, then this would be the velocity of the field correct, since it is the first time derivative? I ask this because unlike in the classical mechanics example problems that the book gave (where I was just dealing with position functions of time), fields φ(x,t) are functions of both time and space.

No. Its the rate of change of the field value at a specific point. Think of a stretched rope with waves - the derivative gives a rate of change of the height of a little element of the rope - that's not the velocity of the waves of the rope.

space-time said:
Also, how does a field itself have a velocity if it permeates all of space?

The same way waves in a rope have a velocity.

space-time said:
Finally, how can a field itself have mass?

In QFT they can - but I will let someone more conversant in that subject explain why. In classical field theory the field doesn't have mass - it has energy via Noethers theorem and the modern definition of energy - but not mass.

Thanks
Bill

snatchingthepi said:
May you please PM some of the details, or refer me to a section in a book or even a Wikipedia article so that I can learn more about what you're saying?

Its simple logic.

The modern definition of energy is via Noether's beautiful and deep theorem:
http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/noetherth.htm

Although you may not have seen it done this way the correct derivation of E=MC^2 uses that:
http://fma.if.usp.br/~amsilva/Livros/Zwiebach/chapter5.pdf

It proves the energy of a free relativistic particle at rest is MC^2. It does not prove energy in a general sense has mass - indeed from the modern definition based on Noethers theorem it makes no sense.

The reason its a very common error is people are often very loose about reasoning with it - even some experts who should know better.

However if you want to pursue it start a thread in our relativity sub-forum.

Added Later

The following may also help:
http://www.quora.com/Does-energy-have-mass

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71

What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework used in physics to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the properties of fields and their interactions.

What are the properties of fields in quantum field theory?

The properties of fields in quantum field theory include their quantum states, energy, momentum, and interactions with other fields. They also have properties such as spin and charge, which determine how they behave and interact with other particles.

How do fields interact in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, fields interact through the exchange of particles called gauge bosons. These interactions are described by mathematical equations and are responsible for the forces between particles.

What is the role of symmetries in quantum field theory?

Symmetries play a crucial role in quantum field theory as they determine the properties and behavior of fields. These symmetries are described by mathematical transformations and can reveal deep connections between seemingly different physical systems.

What are the applications of quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory has many applications in physics, including understanding the behavior of subatomic particles, predicting the properties of new particles, and explaining the fundamental forces of nature. It is also used in fields such as cosmology and condensed matter physics.