Property of a generalised helix

In summary, a generalized helix is a space curve whose unit tangent makes a constant angle with a fixed unit vector in Euclidean space. It can be proven that if the torsion is not equal to zero everywhere, the curve is a generalized helix if and only if the ratio of its curvature to torsion is a constant. This can be shown through the Frenet-Serret formulae and the conditions for the unit vector A being in the T-B plane.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A generalized helix is a space curve whose unit tangent makes ##T## makes a constant angle ##\theta## with the a fixed unit vector ##A## in Euclidean space, I.e ##T \cdot A = \cos \theta = \text{const}##. Prove that if the torsion ##\tau \neq 0## everywhere then the space curve is a generalized helix iff ## \kappa/\tau = \text{const}##

2. Homework Equations

Frenet-Serret Formulae

The Attempt at a Solution

##(\Rightarrow)##WLOG, assume curve is unit speed parametrised. Then $$\frac{d}{ds} (T \cdot A) = T' \cdot A = \kappa N \cdot A \Rightarrow N \cdot A = 0$$ Then $$ \frac{d}{ds} (N \cdot A) = (- \kappa T + \tau B) \cdot A = 0$$ using the Frenet serret formulae. This is equal to ##-\kappa \cos \theta + \tau B \cdot A = 0##. I would nearly be there if I can show that ##B \cdot A = \text{const}##. I managed to see that ##A## lives in the plane spanned by T and B. So ##A = aT + bB## for some a and b. Then ##A \cdot A = 1 = a \cos \theta + b B \cdot A \Rightarrow B \cdot A = (1 - a \cos \theta)/b## which certainly is constant provided a and b are constant. But since T and B revolve around the curve, I think a and b are parameter dependent. So I don't think my argument works. Thanks for any help here. Any hints on how to start the reverse implication would be great too, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone any pointers? thanks.

CAF123 said:
I would nearly be there if I can show that ##B \cdot A = \text{const}##.

Consider ##{d \over ds} \left( B \cdot A \right) ##.

Likes CAF123
Hi voko! Thanks, I got it from that. Do you have any hints on the reverse implication please?

Since you have ##N \cdot A = 0##, ##A## must be in the T-B plane, as you concluded earlier. Your coefficients ##a## and ##b## are simply ##\cos \theta## and ##\sin \theta##. What condition do you get for ##\kappa, \tau## and ##\theta## from that? Can you use it to complete the proof?

1. What is a generalised helix?

A generalised helix is a three-dimensional curve that can be described by a combination of a linear and a circular motion. It is a spiral-like shape that can be formed by various mathematical equations.

2. What are the properties of a generalised helix?

The properties of a generalised helix include its curvature, torsion, and pitch. Curvature is the measure of how much the helix deviates from a straight line, torsion is the measure of twisting along the helix, and pitch is the distance between each turn of the helix.

3. How is a generalised helix different from a regular helix?

A regular helix is a specific type of generalised helix where the linear and circular motions are constant and uniform. In a generalised helix, these motions can vary and result in a more complex shape.

4. What are some real-world examples of generalised helices?

Generalised helices can be found in various natural and man-made structures. Examples include the shape of DNA, spiral staircases, and the structure of certain shells and horns in animals.

5. How is a generalised helix used in science and engineering?

Generalised helices have various applications in science and engineering, such as in the design of springs, screws, and corkscrews. They are also used in fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics to model and understand the structure and behavior of complex molecules and materials.