Proton + Antiproton annihilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a proton and an antiproton annihilating into an electron, a positron, and an electron neutrino. One participant initially believes this is not allowed due to conservation of lepton number, but is convinced otherwise. The conversation also mentions the possible spins of the particles involved.
mateomy
I'm asked to state whether or not a proton and an antiproton can annihilate into an electron, a positron, and an electron neutrino.

[tex]
p + \overline{p} \rightarrow e + e^+ + \nu_e
[/tex]

It doesn't seem allowed to me but I can't fully justify it with any conservation law. I've reasoned that because the electron is a lepton an annihilation of a proton/antiproton pair will not produce such a particle as the former is composed solely of quarks. It seems reasonable to me but which law is broken? I believe its conservation of lepton number. But I can't convince myself for some reason.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The quarks have nothing to do with it. The proton and antiproton annihilate. You've got me convinced it violates lepton number. Write down the lepton number for each particle. Not sure why you are harder to convince.

Dick said:
The quarks have nothing to do with it. The proton and antiproton annihilate. You've got me convinced it violates lepton number. Write down the lepton number for each particle. Not sure why you are harder to convince.

Got it. For some reason i was thinking [itex]\nu_e[/itex] had a lepton number of 0.

Thanks.

There is an even more fundamental reason that this doesn't happen. Write down the possible spins of the left and right hand sides.

Your reasoning is correct. The annihilation of a proton and antiproton into an electron, positron, and electron neutrino violates the conservation of lepton number. Lepton number is a fundamental property that is conserved in all particle interactions. It states that the total number of leptons (such as electrons, neutrinos, and their antiparticles) must remain constant.

In this annihilation process, one lepton (the electron) is produced, but there is no corresponding antilepton produced to balance out the lepton number. Therefore, this process is not allowed according to the conservation of lepton number.

Additionally, the conservation of baryon number is also violated in this process. Baryon number is another fundamental property that states that the total number of baryons (such as protons and neutrons) must remain constant. In this case, two baryons (the proton and antiproton) are annihilated, but no new baryons are produced to balance out the baryon number.

Overall, the annihilation of a proton and antiproton into an electron, positron, and electron neutrino is not allowed due to violations of both lepton number and baryon number conservation laws.

1. What is the process of Proton + Antiproton annihilation?

Proton + Antiproton annihilation is a particle collision process in which a proton and an antiproton collide and are converted into energy in the form of photons or other particles.

2. What is the significance of Proton + Antiproton annihilation in particle physics?

Proton + Antiproton annihilation is significant in particle physics because it helps scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the interactions between particles.

3. How is Proton + Antiproton annihilation different from other types of particle collisions?

Proton + Antiproton annihilation is different from other types of particle collisions because it involves the annihilation of both particles, resulting in the complete conversion of their mass into energy.

4. What are the potential applications of Proton + Antiproton annihilation?

Proton + Antiproton annihilation has potential applications in fields such as medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in the development of new energy sources and technologies.

5. How do scientists study Proton + Antiproton annihilation?

Scientists study Proton + Antiproton annihilation by using particle accelerators to create and collide proton and antiproton beams, and then analyzing the resulting energy and particles produced.