Prove commutator [A,B^n]=nB^(n-1)[A,B]

• Thread starter rogeralms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary: Then you should be able to get the rest of the way to the desired conclusion.In summary, the problem asks to show that the commutator [A,B] commutes with [A,Bn], where A and B are two observables that both commute with [A,B]. Using the assumption that [A,Bn]=nBn-1[A,B] is true, we can show that [A,Bn+1]=(n+1)Bn[A,B]. This can be done by simplifying the term [A,Bn]B and using the fact that A and B commute with [A,B].
rogeralms

Homework Statement

Let A and B be two observables that both commute with their commutator [A,B].

a) Show, e.g., by induction, that [A,Bn]=nBn-1 [A,B].

The Attempt at a Solution

Prove for n=1
[A,B1]=1B1-1 [A,B].
[A,B]=B0[A,B]=[A,B]

Show that it is true for n+1
[A,Bn+1]=[A,BnB]=Bn[A,B]+[A,Bn]B

I am not sure how to continue. Could someone give me a hint what I should do next?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
rogeralms said:

I am not sure how to continue.
When using induction, you want to show that the relation holds for n+1 assuming it holds for n.

Last edited:
Thank you but I know how induction works. That is why I set up the problem with n+1.

I need a hint on how to manipulate the commutators to show this is true, that [A,Bn+1]=(n+1)Bn [A,B].

rogeralms said:

You're showing the relation is true for n+1 assuming it is true for n. You have not yet used the assumption that it is true for n. Note on the right hand side you have a term [A,Bn]B. Simplify this term.

I overlooked the part in the problem statement that said that A and B both commute.

Then we have
Assume [A,Bn]=nBn-1[A,B] is true
Show that it is true for n+1 [A,Bn+1]=(n+1)Bn[A,B] is true.
[A,Bn+1]=[A,BnB]=Bn[A,B]+[A,Bn]B=Bn[A,B]+B[A,Bn]
=Bn[A,B]+BnBn-1[A,B]=Bn[A,B]+nBn[A,B]=(n+1)Bn[A,B]

rogeralms said:
I overlooked the part in the problem statement that said that A and B both commute.
A and B are not assumed to commute. You are given that A commutes with [A, B]. Also, B commutes with [A, B]. But A does not necessarily commute with B.

Then we have
Assume [A,Bn]=nBn-1[A,B] is true
Show that it is true for n+1 [A,Bn+1]=(n+1)Bn[A,B] is true.

[A,Bn+1]=[A,BnB]=Bn[A,B]+[A,Bn]B=Bn[A,B]+B[A,Bn]
=Bn[A,B]+BnBn-1[A,B]=Bn[A,B]+nBn[A,B]=(n+1)Bn[A,B]

OK. One thing that you might consider is that in getting to the end of your first line you used [A,Bn]B= B[A,Bn]. It might not be clear to the reader why this is justified. You can avoid this by rewriting [A,Bn]B in a different way using the assumption that [A,Bn]=nBn-1[A,B] is true.

New user asked to start a new thread and show their work if they still want help with this question.
Could anyone post the solve answer for this question

Traditionally there are no full solutions shared here without showing prior work, in particular not in the homework part of the forum (though I think in this case most of the solution is above). If you are currently working on this as part of your now studies, maybe you want to share where you are stuck?

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
Traditionally there are no full solutions shared here without showing prior work, in particular not in the homework part of the forum (though I think in this case most of the solution is above). If you are currently working on this as part of your now studies, maybe you want to share where you are stuck?
True, but this question was asked almost 10 years ago.

So, how does that change things? I was replying to the post above mine (by someone else than the original OP, I assume someone being asked this HW question now) from this morning.

Likes PeroK
I mean, there is basically a full solution in this thread if you piece together the OP’s work … I don’t think we need to state it any more directly than that just so someone can copy it for their homework.

Likes berkeman
Sunita singh said:
Could anyone post the solve answer for this question
Welcome to PF. Please start a new schoolwork thread if you still need help with this question, and be sure to show your best efforts to work on the problem. Thank you.

This old thread is now closed.

Likes topsquark

1. What is a commutator in mathematics?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the degree to which two operations or elements do not commute, meaning their order matters. It is denoted by [A,B] and is defined as the operation AB-BA.

2. What is the significance of proving the commutator [A,B^n]=nB^(n-1)[A,B]?

This commutator relation is important in the study of linear algebra and quantum mechanics. It allows us to manipulate and simplify expressions involving operators and their powers.

3. How is the commutator [A,B^n]=nB^(n-1)[A,B] derived?

The proof for this commutator relation involves using the properties of linearity, distributivity, and associativity of operators, as well as the induction principle.

4. Can this commutator relation be applied to any two operators A and B?

Yes, this commutator relation holds for any two operators A and B, as long as they satisfy the necessary properties for commutativity.

5. What are the practical uses of the commutator relation [A,B^n]=nB^(n-1)[A,B]?

This commutator relation is commonly used in quantum mechanics to simplify and solve mathematical problems involving operators and their powers. It also has applications in other fields such as linear algebra and differential equations.