Prove Complex Inequality |Re(z)| + |Im(z)| \le \sqrt{2}|z|

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality |Re(z)| + |Im(z)| \le \sqrt{2}|z| using trig identities and the fact that (a-b)^2 \geq 0. The final solution involves using the maximum absolute value of cos+sin to show that |Re(z)| + |Im(z)| \le \sqrt{2}|z|.
cscott

Homework Statement

Prove

[tex]|Re(z)| + |Im(z)| \le \sqrt{2}|z|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to try to get from the LHS to RHS

I can only see squaring then square-rooting the LHS and somehow getting to

something involving [tex]\sqrt{|Re(z)|^2 + |Im(z)|^2}[/tex] to recover |z|, but I don't see it... any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find an equality relating just |Re(z)| and |z|?

Mmm..

[tex]z + \bar{z} = 2 Re(z)[/tex]

[tex]|z +\bar{z}| = 2 |Re(z)|[/itex]

[tex]|z| + |\bar{z}| \ge 2 |Re(z)|[/tex]

How about that?

re(z) = |z|cos(x)
im(z) = |z|sin(x)

use trig identities

cscott, your last inequality is almost the right one, in fact, you can get the one I'm thinking of from it. You're making it a bit more complicated than it needs to be though.

How about,

[tex]Re(z) + Im(z) = |z| \left (\cos \theta + \sin \theta \right )[/tex]

cos+sin has a maximum absolute value of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] so,

[tex]|Re(z)| + |Im(z)| \le \sqrt{2}|z|[/tex]

I know I'm still making this more difficult than necessary :s

That works. If [itex]z = a + bi[/itex] then you can also prove the inequality from the fact that [itex](a-b)^2 \geq 0[/itex].

It definitely works. The inequality I was looking for was |Re(z)|<=|z|, by the way.

Related to Prove Complex Inequality |Re(z)| + |Im(z)| \le \sqrt{2}|z|

1. What is a complex inequality?

A complex inequality is an inequality that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component.

2. What does the inequality |Re(z)| + |Im(z)| ≤ √2|z| mean?

This inequality means that the sum of the absolute values of the real and imaginary parts of a complex number is less than or equal to the square root of two times the absolute value of the complex number.

3. How do you prove a complex inequality?

To prove a complex inequality, you typically use algebraic manipulation and properties of complex numbers to show that the inequality holds for all possible values of the complex number.

4. What is the significance of the inequality |Re(z)| + |Im(z)| ≤ √2|z|?

This inequality is significant because it is a generalization of the triangle inequality for complex numbers, which states that the absolute value of the sum of two complex numbers is less than or equal to the sum of their absolute values. It also has applications in geometry and signal processing.

5. Can the inequality |Re(z)| + |Im(z)| ≤ √2|z| be proven using geometric methods?

Yes, the inequality can be proven using geometric methods such as the Pythagorean theorem and properties of right triangles. This approach can provide a visual understanding of why the inequality holds for all complex numbers.