Prove or Disprove: a 3x3 matrix A can have 0 as a eigenvalue

In summary: If 0 is an eigenvalue, then Mx = 0 for some nonzero x. This is possible if and only if M is singular (not invertible). Do you see why?
nicknaq

Homework Statement

Prove or Disprove: a 3x3 matrix A can have 0 as a eigenvalue

Homework Equations

(xI-A)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it's false just because I've never seen it. I have no idea how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need is one example of a 3x3 matrix with zero as an eigenvalue. Hint: Finding one is a trivial task.

D H said:
All you need is one example of a 3x3 matrix with zero as an eigenvalue. Hint: Finding one is a trivial task.

Any 3x3 matrix with a column of zeros? A homogeneous system?

Do you know any types of matrices for which you can immediately determine all the eigenvalues by inspection?

jbunniii said:
Do you know any types of matrices for which you can immediately determine all the eigenvalues by inspection?

The identity matrix, the zero matrix and triangular matrices I suppose?

nicknaq said:
The identity matrix, the zero matrix and triangular matrices I suppose?

OK, let's look at the first two. What are the eigenvalues of those matrices?

jbunniii said:
OK, let's look at the first two. What are the eigenvalues of those matrices?

For the identity matrix the eigenvalue will be 1. For the zero matrix the eigenvalue will be 0.

nicknaq said:
Any 3x3 matrix with a column of zeros? A homogeneous system?
Could be. Can you come up with a specific example and check it?

WOOPS!
I forgot one vital piece of information guys! I'm sorry.

The matrix must be invertible.

So that rules out the zero matrix or any matrix with a column/row of zeros.

nicknaq said:
WOOPS!
I forgot one vital piece of information guys! I'm sorry.

The matrix must be invertible.

So that rules out the zero matrix or any matrix with a column/row of zeros.

That changes everything!

To see if such a matrix can exist, consider the definition: [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of [itex]M[/itex] if there is a nonzero vector [itex]x[/itex] such that

[tex]Mx = \lambda x[/tex]

If [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex] is an eigenvalue of [itex]M[/itex], what does that imply?

jbunniii said:
That changes everything!

To see if such a matrix can exist, consider the definition: [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of [itex]M[/itex] if there is a nonzero vector [itex]x[/itex] such that

[tex]Mx = \lambda x[/tex]

If [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex] is an eigenvalue of [itex]M[/itex], what does that imply?

[tex]Mx[/tex]=0 so there's only the trivial solution. However x cannot be zero so there's no solution? Is this my proof or is there more to it?

nicknaq said:
[tex]Mx[/tex]=0 so there's only the trivial solution. However x cannot be zero so there's no solution? Is this my proof or is there more to it?

I'm not sure - your wording is a bit unclear.

If 0 is an eigenvalue, then [itex]Mx = 0[/itex] for some nonzero [itex]x[/itex]. This is possible if and only if [itex]M[/itex] is singular (not invertible). Do you see why?

Related to Prove or Disprove: a 3x3 matrix A can have 0 as a eigenvalue

1. Can a 3x3 matrix have 0 as an eigenvalue?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have 0 as an eigenvalue.

2. How can we prove or disprove that a 3x3 matrix has 0 as an eigenvalue?

We can prove or disprove this by finding the eigenvalues of the matrix using the characteristic equation and solving for the roots. If any of the roots is 0, then the matrix has 0 as an eigenvalue.

3. What does it mean for a matrix to have 0 as an eigenvalue?

Having 0 as an eigenvalue means that the matrix has a non-trivial kernel, or in other words, there exists a non-zero vector that when multiplied by the matrix results in the zero vector.

4. Can a matrix have more than one 0 eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple 0 eigenvalues. This means that there are multiple linearly independent vectors that result in the zero vector when multiplied by the matrix.

5. Is it possible for a matrix to have 0 as an eigenvalue but still be invertible?

No, if a matrix has 0 as an eigenvalue, it is not invertible. This is because having 0 as an eigenvalue means that the matrix is not full rank, and an invertible matrix must be full rank.