Prove Quantum Spin Problem: θ, Su11, Su22, Sz1, Sz2, Sx2

In summary: For example, if σx=-1 then |↓↑>=-(1,0) (and vice versa for σx=+1). In summary, the homework statement is that -ħ2/4 * u1⋅u2 = |00>.
Cracker Jack

Homework Statement

It was noted that <00|Su11Su22|00> = -ħ2/4 * u1⋅u2.

where u1 and us are unit vectors along which the two spin operators are measured and θ is the angle between. |00> is the singlet state that the two electrons are entangled in (corresponding to total spin values ). Prove this relationship using

Su11=Sz1

and Su22=cosθ*Sz2+sinθ*Sx2

Also use |00>=1/√(2) * (|↓↑>-|↑↓>)

and that Su11 and Su22 act on particle 1 and 2, respectively.

Homework Equations

Su22=cosθ*Sz2+sinθ*Sx2

Also use |00>=1/√(2) * (|↓↑>-|↑↓>)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the matrix representations of these states (i.e. |↑>=(1,0) and |↓>=(0,1)) then writing out

|↓↑>=|↓>*|↑> = (0,1)*(1,0)

and trying to use the respective spin matrices on each particle but I keep getting zero each time I try.

i.e. when I try the first multiplication <00|Su11Su22|

I get -ħ2/4√(2)* {(0,1)*σz*[(1,0)*σzcosθ+sinθ*(1,0)*σx]-(1,0)*σz*[(0,1)*σz*cosθ+sinθ*(0,1)*σx]}

where the σ are the pauli spin matricies.

my answer for <00|Su11Su22| is then just zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cracker Jack said:
writing out

|↓↑>=|↓>*|↑> = (0,1)*(1,0)
That's not the way you translate a composite system into the matrix representation. Two or more systems paired together to form a new vector space becomes a single vector space and all vectors in this space must admit the usual column matrix notation. Here you are pairing two two-dimensional vector spaces, the result is a 4 dimensional vector space and the state vector in there will be a 4 elements column matrix.

Cracker Jack said:
I get -ħ2/4√(2)* {(0,1)*σz*[(1,0)*σzcosθ+sinθ*(1,0)*σx]-(1,0)*σz*[(0,1)*σz*cosθ+sinθ*(0,1)*σx]}

I think this is OK, but the notation is a bit intimidating. I don't think you should get zero.

For example, what do you get when you simplify this part: (0,1)*σz*[(1,0)*σzcosθ]

This will not cancel out with the other cosθ term: -(1,0)*σz*[(0,1)*σz*cosθ]

TSny said:
I think this is OK, but the notation is a bit intimidating. I don't think you should get zero.

For example, what do you get when you simplify this part: (0,1)*σz*[(1,0)*σzcosθ]

This will not cancel out with the other cosθ term: -(1,0)*σz*[(0,1)*σz*cosθ]
I get zero for both terms, with σz=[(1,0),(0,-1)] (the 2x2 form)

(0,1)*[(1,0),(0,-1)] =(0,-1)

then (0,-1)*(1,0)=0

blue_leaf77 said:
That's not the way you translate a composite system into the matrix representation.

I believe Cracker Jack is just using direct product notation: |↓↑>=|↓>*|↑> means |↓↑>=|↓>⊗|↑> = (0,1)T⊗(1,0)T where Cracker Jack did not bother to write the transpose symbols to indicate column vectors.

Cracker Jack said:
with σz=[(1,0),(0,-1)] (the 2x2 form)

(0,1)*[(1,0),(0,-1)] =(0,-1)
OK

then (0,-1)*(1,0)=0
No. You cannot multiply these two vectors like this. The two "factors" correspond to different particles.
The first factor is (0, -1) = -(0, 1) = - <↓| and refers to particle 1. The second factor is (1, 0) = <↑| and refers to particle 2.
So, (0,-1)*(1,0) = - <↓|⊗<↑| = - <↓↑|.

The OP seems to be not quite familiar with the direct product, which is necessary if he/she wants to work in the matrix representation. In fact, the OP does not need to resort to the matrix representation if he knows how to proceed with the braket notation (this is what he has been doing actually only that the bras and kets are written in matrix form which can turn out to be misleading).

blue_leaf77 said:
The OP seems to be not quite familiar with the direct product, which is necessary if he/she wants to work in the matrix representation. In fact, the OP does not need to resort to the matrix representation if he knows how to proceed with the braket notation (this is what he has been doing actually only that the bras and kets are written in matrix form which can turn out to be misleading).
I agree. It's easier to stay with the arrow notation as long as the student knows the effect of σx on |↑> or |↓>.

1. What is the Quantum Spin Problem?

The Quantum Spin Problem refers to the difficulty in accurately predicting the behavior of particles with spin, a quantum property that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. This problem arises because the laws of classical physics cannot fully explain and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What do θ, Su11, Su22, Sz1, Sz2, and Sx2 represent in the Quantum Spin Problem?

These symbols represent different parameters used in the mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of particles with spin. θ represents the angle of rotation, Su11 and Su22 represent the spin operators for two particles, and Sz1, Sz2, and Sx2 represent the spin components along the z and x axes respectively.

3. How do scientists attempt to solve the Quantum Spin Problem?

Scientists use various mathematical models and theories, such as quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, to try to explain and predict the behavior of particles with spin. These theories involve complex mathematical equations and calculations to describe the properties and interactions of these particles.

4. What is the significance of the Spin Problem in the field of quantum physics?

The Spin Problem is significant because it highlights the limitations of classical physics in explaining and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing new technologies, such as quantum computing, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any potential solutions to the Quantum Spin Problem?

While there is no definite solution to the Quantum Spin Problem, scientists continue to make progress in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles with spin. They use advanced mathematical techniques and experimental data to refine and improve existing theories, and new theories are constantly being proposed and tested to better explain the quantum world.