Prove $R$ is a Field: Finitely Generated Modules are Free

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of showing that a commutative ring with unit $R$ is a field if every finitely generated $R$-module is free. The conversation includes hints and clarification on the definition of a finitely generated $R$-module and its implications for the proof. It is concluded that the statement is only correct if "each finitely generated $R$-module is free" is replaced with "each finitely generated nontrivial $R$-module is free".
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $R$ be a commutative ring with unit.

I want to show that if $R\neq 0$ such that each finitely generated $R$-module is free then $R$ is field. Could you give me some hints how we could show that? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that if $I$ is an ideal of the commutative ring $R$ and it is a free $R$-module, then it has a basis, i.e., a generating set consisting of linearly independent elements.

Does a finitely generated $R$-module is free when the basis is finite? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that if $R\neq 0$ such that each finitely generated $R$-module is free then $R$ is field. Could you give me some hints how we could show that? (Wondering)

It suffices to show that $R$ is a simple $R$-module. Let $J$ be a proper ideal of $R$. Then $R/J$ is a finitely generated $R$-module, hence free by hypothesis. Free modules have trivial annihilators, so $\operatorname{Ann}_R(R/J) = 0$. On the other hand, $\operatorname{Ann}_R(R/J) = J$. Hence, $J = 0$.
mathmari said:
Suppose that if $I$ is an ideal of the commutative ring $R$ and it is a free $R$-module, then it has a basis, i.e., a generating set consisting of linearly independent elements.

Does a finitely generated $R$-module is free when the basis is finite? (Wondering)

That does not make sense. A finitely generated $R$-module need not have a basis, but the ones that do are free by definition.

Euge said:
It suffices to show that $R$ is a simple $R$-module.

Why does this suffice? (Wondering)
Euge said:
Let $J$ be a proper ideal of $R$. Then $R/J$ is a finitely generated $R$-module, hence free by hypothesis.

Why does it follow that $R/J$ is a finitely generated $R$-module? (Wondering)

It suffices to show that $R$ is simple, since then $aR = R$ for every nonzero $a\in R$, and consequently, all nonzero elements are invertible.

Since $R/J$ is a quotient of a finitely generated $R$-module (namely, $R$ itself), then $R/J$ is finitely generated as an $R$-module.

Hi mathmari,

I don't think this is debatable, but is $0$ considered not to be a finitely generated $R$-module in your class? If that's not the case, then there is an issue with the problem statement

mathmari said:

I want to show that if $R\neq 0$ such that each finitely generated $R$-module is free then $R$ is field.

If we say an $R$-module $M$ is finitely generated if there is a surjection $R^n \to M$ for some positive integer $n$, then $0$ is finitely generated. In the hypothesis of your problem, $0$ would also be a free $R$-module, which would imply $0 \cong R^n$ for some positive integer $n$; this forces $R = 0$, contrary to assumption. The statement would be correct if "each finitely generated $R$-module is free" is replaced with "each finitely generated nontrivial $R$-module is free".

1. What does it mean for a module to be finitely generated?

A finitely generated module is one that can be generated by a finite set of elements. This means that every element in the module can be expressed as a linear combination of a finite number of generators.

2. How is freeness related to being a field?

In the context of modules over a field, being free means that the module has a basis, which is a set of linearly independent elements that span the entire module. A field is a special type of commutative ring where every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. Proving that finitely generated modules over a field are free is significant because it allows us to better understand the structure of fields.

3. What is the significance of proving that finitely generated modules are free?

This result is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the structure of fields. It also allows us to apply techniques from linear algebra to study fields, which can be useful in various areas of mathematics and science.

4. How is this proof related to the concept of dimension?

The proof of this result relies on the concept of dimension, as the dimension of a vector space (or module) is the number of elements in a basis. In the case of finitely generated modules over a field, the dimension is finite and thus the module is free. This also means that the dimension of the module is equal to the number of generators.

5. Can this result be extended to other types of modules?

Yes, this result can be extended to Noetherian modules over a Noetherian ring. A Noetherian ring is a commutative ring in which every ideal is finitely generated. Noetherian modules are those that satisfy a similar condition, where every submodule is also finitely generated. In this more general setting, it can be proven that Noetherian modules are free if and only if they are finitely generated.