Prove that 2xmodn is a bijection for all odd n

• Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the function f(x) = 2x mod n is a bijection for all odd n and how to prove it. The individual arguing believes that the fact that gcd(2,n) = 1 implies an inverse for 2x mod n, but acknowledges that this argument does not hold for all functions mod prime as shown with the example of x^2 mod 7. The other individual clarifies that f(x)=2x is not the same as f(x)=x^2 and that exponents cannot be reduced mod n.
freshman2013
1. State whether or not f(x) = 2x mod n is a bijection for all odd n and prove it

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm pretty sure it is a bijection over testing it for some odd n, and the fact that gcd(2,n) = 1, thus there must exist an inverse for 2x mod n. However, I realize this proof makes no sense since I can make this argument for any function mod (a prime number) that it is a bijection, although not all functions mod prime are bijections. Any thoughts on where to go now?

Physics news on Phys.org
freshman2013 said:
1. State whether or not f(x) = 2x mod n is a bijection for all odd n and prove it

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm pretty sure it is a bijection over testing it for some odd n, and the fact that gcd(2,n) = 1, thus there must exist an inverse for 2x mod n. However, I realize this proof makes no sense since I can make this argument for any function mod (a prime number) that it is a bijection, although not all functions mod prime are bijections. Any thoughts on where to go now?

Why are you worried about 'all functions'? You are only dealing with the function f(x)=2x mod n. Yes, there is an inverse for multiplication by 2 mod n where n is odd. What are you worried about?

Dick said:
Why are you worried about 'all functions'? You are only dealing with the function f(x)=2x mod n. Yes, there is an inverse for multiplication by 2 mod n where n is odd. What are you worried about?
Forexample, I'm saying that you can argue that x^2 is coprime with n for all primes n. Then argue that x^2 mod n is bijective for all primes n. But that's not that case. E.g. x^2mod 7
x=3 x^2mod7 = 9mod7 = 2mod7
x = 4 x^2mod7 = 16mod7 = 2mod7
Thus x^2mod7 is not bijective but I can use the exact same argument from my 2xmod(n) "proof" to say that x^2mod7 is bijective. Hence, I don't think you can argue that 2x is coprime with all odd n as automatically implying that 2xmodn is bijectgive.

freshman2013 said:
Forexample, I'm saying that you can argue that x^2 is coprime with n for all primes n. Then argue that x^2 mod n is bijective for all primes n. But that's not that case. E.g. x^2mod 7
x=3 x^2mod7 = 9mod7 = 2mod7
x = 4 x^2mod7 = 16mod7 = 2mod7
Thus x^2mod7 is not bijective but I can use the exact same argument from my 2xmod(n) "proof" to say that x^2mod7 is bijective. Hence, I don't think you can argue that 2x is coprime with all odd n as automatically implying that 2xmodn is bijectgive.

The only thing those have in common is the digit '2'. f(x)=2x isn't like f(x)=x^2. 3^2 mod 7=2. 2=9 mod 7. But 3^9 mod 7=6. You can't reduce exponents mod n. Is that what you are asking?

Related to Prove that 2xmodn is a bijection for all odd n

1. What does 2xmodn mean?

2xmodn is a mathematical operation that stands for "2 times x modulo n". It is used to calculate the remainder when 2x is divided by n.

2. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a function that maps elements from one set to another in a one-to-one and onto manner. This means that each element in the first set is paired with a unique element in the second set, and every element in the second set has a corresponding element in the first set.

3. Why does n have to be odd in the statement "2xmodn is a bijection for all odd n"?

If n is an even number, then 2xmodn will always be an even number as well. This means that the function will not be onto, as there will be no way to map an odd number to an even number. Therefore, in order for the function to be a bijection, n must be an odd number.

4. How can you prove that 2xmodn is a bijection?

The proof for this statement involves showing that the function is both one-to-one and onto. To prove it is one-to-one, we can assume that 2xmodn = 2ymodn, and then show that x = y. To prove it is onto, we can show that for any element y in the second set, there exists an element x in the first set such that 2xmodn = y.

5. Can you provide an example of 2xmodn being a bijection for an odd n?

Yes, if we take n = 5, the function 2xmod5 would be a bijection. For example, when x = 2, 2xmod5 = 4, and when x = 3, 2xmod5 = 1. This shows that every element in the range (1,2,3,4) has a corresponding element in the domain (2,3), and vice versa.