Prove that a^(1/n) is an integer or is irrational

In summary: But after studying the proof, one may see that the two disciplines can actually be quite helpful to one another.In summary, the proof of the irrationality of ## \sqrt 2 ## shows that the n-th root of ##p/q## is rational only if ##p/q =a^{nj}/b^{nk} ## for integers ## a,b,n,j,k ##.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let a and n be positive integers. Prove that a^(1/n) is either an integer or is irrational.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof:
If a^(1/n) = x/y where y divides x, then we have an integer.
If a^(1/n) = x/y where y does not divide x, then
a = (a^(1/n))^n = x^n/y^n is NOT an integer since y^n does not divide x^n. However, this is a contradiction as we declared a to be a positive integer.
Thus, a^(1/n) must be an integer.

However, is neglecting the important part of irrationality.
In my proof, I have convinced myself that a^(1/n) is an integer. But this is obviously not true as 4^(1/3) is irrational.
Where did I go wrong?

Perhaps there is another case?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Let a and n be positive integers. Prove that a^(1/n) is either an integer or is irrational.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof:
a = (a^(1/n))^n = x^n/y^n is NOT an integer since y^n does not divide x^n. However, this is a contradiction as we declared a to be a positive integer.
Thus, a^(1/n) must be an integer.

However, is neglecting the important part of irrationality.
In my proof, I have convinced myself that a^(1/n) is an integer. But this is obviously not true as 4^(1/3) is irrational.
Where did I go wrong?

Perhaps there is another case?
Looks ok until :"Thus, a^(1/n) must be an integer." Look more carefully at which hypothesis led to a contradiction.

Likes RJLiberator
So the hypothesis that led to the contradiction is "if a^(1/n) = x/y where y does not divide x"

This seems to imply that y does divide x. But the first if statement shows that If a^(1/n) = x/y where y divides x, then we have an integer.

Perhaps you are telling me that If a^(1/n) = x/y where y does not divide x, then we have an irrational number.
Is that the connection that I was missing?

RJLiberator said:
So the hypothesis that led to the contradiction is "if a^(1/n) = x/y where y does not divide x"

This seems to imply that y does divide x. But the first if statement shows that If a^(1/n) = x/y where y divides x, then we have an integer.

Perhaps you are telling me that If a^(1/n) = x/y where y does not divide x, then we have an irrational number.
Is that the connection that I was missing?
Correct, a^(1/n) = x/y where y does not divide x leads to a contradiction.

Which kind of real numbers can not be expressed as x/y where y does not divide x? (Although you didn't state it explicitly, I assume that x and y are integers.)

Likes RJLiberator
Which kind of real numbers can not be expressed as x/y where y does not divide x?
Irrational numbers!

Proof:
And so a^(1/n) cannot be expressed as a rational number or an integer, therefore it is irrational.
end.

So we have covered both possibilities and showed the routes to an integer and to an irrational number.

Likes WWGD and Samy_A
Hi again, RJ:If you want to generalize this, you can use the proof of the irrationality of ## \sqrt 2 ## to show that the n-th root of ##p/q## is rational only if ##p/q =a^{nj}/b^{nk} ## for integers ## a,b,n,j,k ##. Or it is just a good result to know, to keep handy, even without a proof.

Likes RJLiberator
Yes, We went over that proof in class prior to this homework question. I also noticed it elsewhere on the web when I checked in with this problem.

Seems like a highly popular proof to know.

RJLiberator said:
Yes, We went over that proof in class prior to this homework question. I also noticed it elsewhere on the web when I checked in with this problem.

Seems like a highly popular proof to know.
Yes, I see it as a fun combo of number theory and Calculus/Analysis, which one may believe at first have little overlap.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be written as a fraction of two integers. This means that the decimal representation of an irrational number never ends and never repeats.

2. How do you prove that a^(1/n) is an integer or irrational?

To prove that a^(1/n) is an integer or irrational, we can use proof by contradiction. Assume that a^(1/n) is a rational number. Then, it can be written as a fraction a/b where a and b are integers with no common factors. By raising both sides to the power of n, we get a^n/b^n = a, which means that a is a multiple of b^n. However, this contradicts the fact that a and b have no common factors. Therefore, a^(1/n) must be irrational.

3. Can a^(1/n) be both an integer and irrational?

No, a^(1/n) cannot be both an integer and irrational. An integer is a rational number with a denominator of 1, while an irrational number cannot be expressed as a fraction. Therefore, a^(1/n) can only be either an integer or irrational, but not both.

4. What is the significance of proving that a^(1/n) is an integer or irrational?

Proving that a^(1/n) is an integer or irrational has important applications in number theory and algebra. It can also help us understand the properties of roots and powers of numbers, and how they relate to each other. Additionally, it can be used to solve various mathematical problems and equations.

5. Are there any exceptions to the proof that a^(1/n) is either an integer or irrational?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to this proof. For example, if a is a perfect nth power of a rational number, then a^(1/n) can be an integer. Also, if a is a negative number, then a^(1/n) can be a complex number. However, in most cases, a^(1/n) will either be an integer or irrational.