Prove that diagonal matrices are symmetric matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the defining property of a diagonal matrix and how it relates to being symmetric. The question asks if starting with the statement that ##A_{ij} = A_{ji} ~~\forall i,j \le n## is enough to prove that a diagonal matrix is symmetric, or if further proof is needed. The answer suggests that in the case of a diagonal matrix, there is no need for further proof as all the elements satisfy the symmetry property.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Same as title.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A defining property of a diagonal matrix is that ##A_{ij} = A_{ji} ~~\forall i,j \le n##. This means that ##((A)^{t})_{ji} = A_{ji}##. Therefore, we know that ##A^t = A##. This shows that a diagonal matrix is symmetric.

Is this an okay proof? Am I making too big of a leap in logic to start with ##A_{ij} = A_{ji} ~~\forall i,j \le n##? Or do I need to first prove that that statement is true for diagonal matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say, in the case of a diagonal matrix, there is nothing to prove, since all ##A_{ij} = 0 = A_{ji}## for ##i \neq j## and of course is ##A_{ii}=A_{ii}## for the rest.

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all entries outside of the main diagonal (from the top left to bottom right) are equal to zero. The main diagonal consists of the entries that run from the top left to bottom right of the matrix and can have any non-zero values.

2. How do you prove that a diagonal matrix is symmetric?

A diagonal matrix is symmetric if it is equal to its transpose. In other words, if the matrix is flipped along its main diagonal, the resulting matrix would be identical to the original. To prove this, we can compare the entries of the original matrix with the entries of its transpose. Since a diagonal matrix only has non-zero entries along the main diagonal, and the transpose of a diagonal matrix results in the same matrix, we can conclude that a diagonal matrix is indeed symmetric.

3. Can a non-square diagonal matrix be symmetric?

No, a non-square diagonal matrix cannot be symmetric. A symmetric matrix must be square (have the same number of rows and columns) in order for its transpose to be defined. Since a non-square diagonal matrix does not have an equal number of rows and columns, its transpose would not exist and therefore cannot be equal to the original matrix.

4. Are all symmetric matrices diagonal matrices?

No, not all symmetric matrices are diagonal matrices. A symmetric matrix can have non-zero entries outside of the main diagonal, whereas a diagonal matrix only has non-zero entries along the main diagonal. Additionally, a symmetric matrix does not need to be square, while a diagonal matrix must be square.

5. How are diagonal matrices used in real-world applications?

Diagonal matrices are commonly used in linear algebra and data analysis. They are useful for representing and manipulating systems of linear equations, as well as for performing operations such as matrix multiplication and inversion. In data analysis, diagonal matrices are often used to represent variables that are uncorrelated with each other, making them useful for dimensionality reduction techniques such as principal component analysis.