Upper trianglar matrix is a subspace of mxn matrices

In summary, the argument presented is enough to show that the upper triangular matrices form a subspace of ##\mathbb{M}_{m \times n}## over a field ##\mathbb{F}##. This is proven by showing that the zero matrix is an upper triangular matrix, that the sum of two upper triangular matrices is still an upper triangular matrix, and that a scalar multiple of an upper triangular matrix is still an upper triangular matrix. Therefore, the set of upper triangular matrices satisfies all the properties of a subspace.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that the upper triangular matrices form a subspace of ##\mathbb{M}_{m \times n}## over a field ##\mathbb{F}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We can prove this entrywise.

1) Obviously the zero matrix is an upper triangular matrix, because it satisfies the property that whenever ##i > j##, ##A_{ij} = 0##.

2) There are two cases; when ##i \le j## and when ##i > j##.
When ##i \le j## we have that ##(A + B)_{ij} = A_{ij} + B_{ij}##. When ##i > j## we have that ##(A + B)_{ij} = A_{ij} + B_{ij} = 0 + 0 = 0##. Therefore, ##A + B## is still an upper triangular matrix.

3) When ##i \le j## we have that ##(cA)_{ij} = c(A_{ij})##. When ##i > j##, we have that ##(cA)_{ij} = c(A_{ij}) = c(0) = 0##. Therefore, ##cA## is still an upper triangular matrix.

Is this argument enough to show that the upper triangular matrices form a subspace of mxn matrices over a field F?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is an upper triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix is a type of square matrix where all the elements below the main diagonal are equal to zero. The main diagonal is the diagonal line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner of the matrix.

2. How is a subspace defined?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under vector addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. In other words, if we add two vectors or multiply a vector by a scalar within the subspace, the result will still be within the subspace.

3. Why is an upper triangular matrix a subspace?

An upper triangular matrix is a subspace because it satisfies the three conditions of a subspace. It contains the zero vector since all the elements below the main diagonal are equal to zero. It is closed under vector addition, as adding two upper triangular matrices will still result in an upper triangular matrix. Lastly, it is closed under scalar multiplication, as multiplying a scalar by an upper triangular matrix will still result in an upper triangular matrix.

4. Can an upper triangular matrix be a subspace of any mxn matrix?

No, an upper triangular matrix can only be a subspace of mxn matrices where m=n. This is because an upper triangular matrix is a square matrix and the conditions for a subspace only apply to vector spaces of the same dimension.

5. What is the significance of an upper triangular matrix being a subspace?

The fact that an upper triangular matrix is a subspace is significant because it allows us to use properties and operations of vector spaces to solve problems involving upper triangular matrices. This makes it easier to analyze and manipulate these types of matrices in various applications such as engineering and data analysis.