Prove that ##\psi## is a solution to Schrödinger equation

In summary: Suggestion:$$ \Big\langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)(\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \Big\rangle = \Big\langle (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \Big\rangle $$$$ = \Big\langle \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi \mid \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi \Big\rangle $$Now, I remember that an
Sofie RK

Homework Statement

For a wavefunction ##\psi##, the variance of the Hamiltonian operator ##\hat{H}## is defined as:

$$\sigma^2 = \big \langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)^2 \psi \big\rangle$$

I want to prove that if ##\sigma^2 = 0##, then ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation (##\hat{H}\psi = E\psi##).

##\psi## is a normalized wavefunction.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Let ##\phi## be a wavefunction. The norm ##\parallel \phi \parallel = \sqrt{\langle \phi \mid \phi \rangle} ## is equal to zero if and only if the wavefunction ##\phi## is equal to zero (##\phi = 0 \Leftrightarrow \parallel \phi \parallel = 0) ##

Given hint: ##\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle## is a hermitian operator.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think maybe the equation can be written as:

$$ \sigma^2 = (\hat{H}\psi - E\psi)\psi $$

I know that ##\sigma^2 = 0##.

##\psi## is a normalized wavefunction ##\Rightarrow \sqrt{\langle \psi\mid\psi \rangle} = 1##, and ##\psi \neq 0##. Then, ##\hat{H}\psi = E\psi = 0##, and ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've written doesn't make much sense to me, I'm afraid. Note that ##\langle \hat{H} \rangle## is a real number. Although in this notation it also means the operator which is this multiple of the identity operator.

You need to look at what ##(\hat{H} - \langle \hat{H} \rangle)^2## means. And use the hint.

PeroK said:
What you've written doesn't make much sense to me, I'm afraid. Note that ##\langle \hat{H} \rangle## is a real number. Although in this notation it also means the operator which is this multiple of the identity operator.

You need to look at what ##(\hat{H} - \langle \hat{H} \rangle)^2## means. And use the hint.

##\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle ## is a hermitian operator, which means that its eigenvalues must be real. But I don't understand what happens when a hermitian operator is squared.

Sofie RK said:
##\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle ## is a hermitian operator, which means that its eigenvalues must be real. But I don't understand what happens when a hermitian operator is squared.
An operator squared is simply the operator applied twice. So you can split it, ##\hat{A}^2 = \hat{A} \hat{A}## and then use its hermiticity.

DrClaude said:
An operator squared is simply the operator applied twice. So you can split it, ##\hat{A}^2 = \hat{A} \hat{A}## and then use its hermiticity.

Hermitian operators have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenfunctions.

$$(\hat{H} - \langle \hat{H} \rangle)\psi = \lambda\psi,$$ where ##\lambda## is a real number. Is this something I can use?

Then,

$$ \sigma^2 = \big\langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)(\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \big\rangle $$

$$\sigma^2 = \lambda \big\langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle) \psi \big\rangle$$

$$\sigma^2 = \lambda^2 \big\langle \psi \mid \psi \big\rangle$$

But this does not makes sense either because then ##\lambda## has to be zero.

Sofie RK said:
Hermitian operators have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenfunctions.

$$(\hat{H} - \langle \hat{H} \rangle)\psi = \lambda\psi,$$ where ##\lambda## is a real number. Is this something I can use?

Then,

$$ \sigma^2 = \big\langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)(\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \big\rangle $$

$$\sigma^2 = \lambda \big\langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle) \psi \big\rangle$$

$$\sigma^2 = \lambda^2 \big\langle \psi \mid \psi \big\rangle$$

But this does not makes sense either because then ##\lambda## has to be zero.

You need to get some concepts clear:

A Hermitian operator, ##\hat{H}## is defined as an operator for which:

##\forall \psi, \phi: \ \langle \phi | \hat{H} \psi \rangle = \langle \hat{H} \phi | \psi \rangle##

You can show that the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator are real and that the eigenvectors corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal.

But, Hermitian operators do not have a monopoly on real eigenvalues, or othogonal eigenvectors!

Also, the question did not say that ##\psi## was an eigenvector of ##\hat{H}##, which is what you effectively assumed. In other words, if you have a Hermitian operator, ##\hat{H}##, you cannot just pick the first vector you find lying around, ##\psi## say, and declare that ##\psi## is an eigenvector of ##\hat{H}##!

Likes DrClaude
PeroK said:
You need to get some concepts clear:

A Hermitian operator, ##\hat{H}## is defined as an operator for which:

##\forall \psi, \phi: \ \langle \phi | \hat{H} \psi \rangle = \langle \hat{H} \phi | \psi \rangle##
Suggestion:$$ \Big\langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)(\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \Big\rangle = \Big\langle (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \Big\rangle $$
$$ = \Big\langle \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi \mid \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi \Big\rangle $$

Now, I remember that an expectation value is not an observable, but a mean value of the observables/eigenvalues given the probability to get the value. I want to prove that if ##\sigma^2 = 0##, then ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which means that ##\hat{H}\psi = E\psi##. I am thinking that if I can argue that ##\hat{H}\psi = \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi## or/if ##\langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi = E\psi##, then I have proved that ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation.

Are these equations and arguments right? Am I missing anything so far?

Sofie RK said:
Suggestion:$$ \Big\langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)(\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \Big\rangle = \Big\langle (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)\psi \Big\rangle $$
$$ = \Big\langle \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi \mid \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi \Big\rangle $$

Now, I remember that an expectation value is not an observable, but a mean value of the observables/eigenvalues given the probability to get the value. I want to prove that if ##\sigma^2 = 0##, then ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which means that ##\hat{H}\psi = E\psi##. I am thinking that if I can argue that ##\hat{H}\psi = \langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi## or/if ##\langle\hat{H}\rangle\psi = E\psi##, then I have proved that ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation.

Are these equations and arguments right? Am I missing anything so far?

First, there's something about the way you do the maths that does sort of mean you miss things. In this case, you are given:

$$\sigma^2 = \big \langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)^2 \psi \big\rangle$$

And, you need to show that if ##\sigma^2 = 0##, then ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation (##\hat{H}\psi = E\psi##).

But, you never once wrote, as your starting point:

$$\big \langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)^2 \psi \big\rangle = 0$$

You seem to leave ##\sigma^2 = 0## in the background somewhere. It never quite makes it into the equations somehow!

PeroK said:
First, there's something about the way you do the maths that does sort of mean you miss things. In this case, you are given:

And, you need to show that if ##\sigma^2 = 0##, then ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation (##\hat{H}\psi = E\psi##).

But, you never once wrote, as your starting point:

$$\big \langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)^2 \psi \big\rangle = 0$$

You seem to leave ##\sigma^2 = 0## in the background somewhere. It never quite makes it into the equations somehow!

What about this:

$$\sigma^2 = 0 \Rightarrow \big \langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)^2 \psi \big\rangle = 0 $$

Hermiticity:
$$ \big \langle (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle) \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle) \psi \big\rangle = 0 $$
$$ \big \langle \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi \mid \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi \big\rangle = 0 $$
$$ \Rightarrow \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi = 0 \Rightarrow \hat{H}\psi = \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi $$

Sofie RK said:
What about this:

$$\sigma^2 = 0 \Rightarrow \big \langle \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle)^2 \psi \big\rangle = 0 $$

Hermiticity:
$$ \big \langle (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle) \psi \mid (\hat{H} - \langle\hat{H}\rangle) \psi \big\rangle = 0 $$
$$ \big \langle \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi \mid \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi \big\rangle = 0 $$
$$ \Rightarrow \hat{H}\psi - \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi = 0 \Rightarrow \hat{H}\psi = \langle\hat{H}\rangle \psi $$

Yes, that's it.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It was first proposed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926 and is written in terms of the wave function, denoted by the symbol ##\psi##.

2. How do you prove that ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation?

To prove that ##\psi## is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, we substitute the wave function into the equation and show that it satisfies the equation. This involves taking the derivatives of the wave function and comparing them to the other terms in the equation.

3. What are the conditions for a wave function to be a solution to the Schrödinger equation?

A wave function must satisfy certain mathematical conditions in order to be a valid solution to the Schrödinger equation. These conditions include being continuous, single-valued, and square-integrable, as well as satisfying boundary conditions.

4. How does the Schrödinger equation relate to the behavior of particles?

The Schrödinger equation is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It describes how the wave function of a particle changes over time and how it is affected by external forces.

5. Can the Schrödinger equation be solved exactly for all systems?

No, the Schrödinger equation can only be solved exactly for a limited number of simple systems. In most cases, it must be solved numerically using computational techniques. However, even when exact solutions are not possible, the equation still provides valuable insights into the behavior of quantum systems.