Prove that the components of a vector can be written as follows

In summary, the notation [a,b,c] refers to the scalar triple product, which is calculated by taking the cross product of two vectors and then taking the dot product of the resulting vector with a third vector. This notation is often used to uniquely write a vector as a linear combination of a given basis.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below, well
Relevant Equations
All below
1592759390018.png

That is, the triad forms a basis.

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
[a,b,c] = a ^ b . c

I thought that i could begin with a matrix, immediately i see the problem seeing by this way, so "never mind". I don't know how the properties would help me here, i think i will need to evaluate by geometry approach, but i am not sure.

Since ##\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}## is a basis, you can uniquely write ##x=a_1e_1+a_2e_2+a_3e_3.## To solve for ##a_1##, for example, try crossing both sides with ##e_2## and then dotting both sides by ##e_3.##

• Love
Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
[a,b,c] = a ^ b . c
What does this notation mean, particularly '^'?

I assumed cross/exterior product (the latter is more general, but in ##\mathbb{R}^3## is basically equivalent). The latex would be "##\wedge##".

Likes LCSphysicist
So does the notation ##[\vec{a}, \vec{b}, \vec{c}]## mean the vector triple product (in ##\mathbb{R}^3##)?

It means the scalar triple product, ##[a,b,c]=(a\times b)\cdot c.##

Likes LCSphysicist and etotheipi
Infrared said:
It means the scalar triple product, ##[a,b,c]=(a\times b)\cdot c.##

Whoops, yes that's the one I was thinking of. Apparently what's called the vector triple product is something else. Makes sense, thanks!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of its magnitude.

2. What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the individual parts that make up its magnitude and direction. These are typically represented as the x and y coordinates of the vector's tip, with the origin (0,0) being the vector's tail.

3. Why is it important to write the components of a vector in a specific way?

Writing the components of a vector in a specific way allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the vector's properties. It also allows for the vector to be easily graphed and visualized.

4. What is the significance of writing the components of a vector as (x,y)?

The components of a vector are written as (x,y) because this notation corresponds to the position of the vector's tip in the x-y plane. The x component represents the horizontal distance from the origin, while the y component represents the vertical distance.

5. Can the components of a vector be written in other ways?

Yes, the components of a vector can also be written in terms of other coordinate systems, such as polar coordinates. In this case, the components would be written as (r, θ), where r is the vector's magnitude and θ is the angle it makes with the positive x-axis.