Prove that the following mappings are Isometries.

• Thread starter Daron
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses verifying mappings as isometries on R^2, specifically reflection through the origin, translation, and rotation. The homework equations provided are the qualities of a metric, and the attempt at a solution involves trying to prove the mappings for a general metric. However, it is mentioned that there may not be a simple proof for a general metric, as it is not true for all cases such as with the taxicab metric and rotation.
Daron

Homework Statement

Verify that the following mappings are isometries on R^2

Reflection Through the Origin
Translation
Rotation

Homework Equations

Qualities of a metric:

d(x,y) = d(y,x)
d(x,x) = 0
d(x,y) = 0 <=> x = y
d(x,y) =< d(x,z) +d(z,y)

The Attempt at a Solution

As a metric hasn't been specified, I have been trying to prove this for a general metric using just the intrinsic qualities. I haven't had much luck, though.
I know that all three are straightforward to prove in Euclidean Space, which gives a metric. But is there a simple proof for a general metric?

I may have misunderstood the meaning of Verify, but would nevertheless like a proof if there is one.

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't true for general metrics. Think about the taxicab metric on R2 and rotation.

Related to Prove that the following mappings are Isometries.

1. What is an isometry mapping?

An isometry mapping is a type of mathematical transformation that preserves the distance between any two points in a given space. In other words, the shape and size of the object are not altered by the transformation.

2. How can I prove that a mapping is an isometry?

To prove that a mapping is an isometry, you need to show that it preserves the distance between any two points in the original object. This can be done by using the distance formula and showing that it remains unchanged after the transformation.

3. What are some common examples of isometry mappings?

Some common examples of isometry mappings include translations, rotations, reflections, and dilations. These transformations do not change the shape or size of the object, and therefore, they are considered isometries.

4. How are isometries used in real life?

Isometries are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as computer graphics, robotics, and structural engineering. They play a crucial role in creating accurate models and simulations of real-world objects and systems.

5. Can a mapping be an isometry in one space but not in another?

Yes, a mapping can be an isometry in one space but not in another. This is because the concept of distance may vary depending on the type of space. For example, a mapping that preserves Euclidean distances may not preserve distances in a non-Euclidean space.