Prove the existance of a subsequence such that

In summary: S = limsup S = lim S).In summary, In summary, we are given a sequence (a_n) such that lim inf |a_n| = 0 and we need to prove that there exists a subsequence (a_{n_k}) such that the series SIGMA a_{n_k} from k=1 to +infinity converges. To do so, we can first note that lim inf |a_n| = 0 implies that for any e > 0, there exists an infinite number of terms in the sequence such that |a_n| < e. Then, we can choose a subsequence (a_{n_k}) such that |a_{n_k}| <
hages

Homework Statement

Notation:
|a_n| is the absolute value of a_n.
(s_n) signifies a sequences; s_n signifies the value of the sequence at a particular n.

Problem:
Let n, k be arbitrary elements in N.
Let (a_n) be a sequence such that lim inf |a_n| = 0. Prove that there is a subsequence (an_k) such that the series, SIGMA an_k from k=1 to +infinity converges.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just at a complete loss for how to solve this problem.

Here's my outline:
Let s_n = SIGMA |a_k| from k = 1 to n. Since for all n, |a_n| => 0, (s_n) is nondecreasing.

Now if I can show that (s_n) is bounded, I'd know that (s_n) converges and thus would know there is a convergent subsequence (sn_j) where sn_j = SIGMA |an_k| from k=1 to j. Thus we'd say that SIGMA |an_k| from k=1 to j would be convergent. And thus we'd have that SIGMA an_k from k=1 to +infinity would be convergent because absolutely convergent series are convergent.

But following this route means I have to prove that (s_n) is bounded and that is where I happen to be stuck. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so I'm fairly new to this stuff (disclaimer), but we need to find a subsequence sk (changed notation as the n was confusing) is

as the sequence an converges to zero for any e>0, there exists N>0 such that for all n>N, |an|<e

so why not pick each k such that the kth term will be less than some convergent sequence we know of, at least for some k>K. this should guarantee the convergence of sk

so how about |ank|<1/k2, can pick each of these, due to the convergence of an to zero and this should absolute convergence

ie sum |ak|< A + sum (1/k^2)
where A is some bounded constant

Last edited:
lanedance said:
ok so I'm fairly new to this stuff (disclaimer), but we need to find a subsequence sk (changed notation as the n was confusing) is

as the sequence an converges to zero for any e>0, there exists N>0 such that for all n>N, |an|<e

so why not pick each k such that the kth term will be less than some convergent sequence we know of, at least for some k>K. this should guarantee the convergence of sk

so how about |ank|<1/k2, can pick each of these, due to the convergence of an to zero and this should absolute convergence

ie sum |aSUB]k[/SUB]|< A + sum (1/k^2)
where A is some bounded constant

I don't think its entirely correct to say that the sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] converges to zero. Note that it is only given that [tex]\liminf |a_n| = 0[/tex] and we have [tex]\lim |a_n|= 0[/tex] if and only if [tex]\liminf |a_n| = \limsup |a_n|[/tex].

i read it as "lim n goes to inf -> |an|->0"

but in your description, hopefully we only need a small change

lim inf{|an|} implies that for any e>0, there's an infinite amount of an, such that |an| < 0+e, thus implying the existence of a subsequence convergent to zero anyway?

Last edited:
lanedance said:
i read it as "lim n goes to inf -> |an|"

but in your description, hopefully we only need a small change

Actually, liminf and limsup (i.e. limit inferior and limit superior) are precisely defined as follows. Let [tex](s_n)[/tex] be a sequence of real numbers. Then define [tex]u_N = \inf\{s_n : n > N\}[/tex]. Then [tex]\liminf s_n = \lim_{N \to +\infty}u_N[/tex]. Limit superior is defined analogously. There are many ways of defining liminf and limsup but I'm just providing one of the definitions here.

lanedance said:
lim inf{|an|} implies that for any e>0, there's an infinite amount of an, such that |an| < 0+e
If you interpret liminf like that, then there's no difference between the liminf and the usual limit.

For instance, if we take a sequence of numbers like [tex]s_{2n} = +1, s_{2n +1} = -1[/tex], then clearly the sequence [tex](s_n)[/tex] does not have a limit. But it is clear that [tex]\liminf = -1, \limsup = +1[/tex].

Actually, the idea that you'd showed in the earlier post is good but the argument could be made more clear and precise. (see next post)

To clear up the OP's problem statement:

Let [tex](a_n)[/tex] be a sequence of reals such that [tex]\liminf |a_n| = 0[/tex]. Prove that there is a subsequence [tex](a_{n_k})[/tex] such that the series [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_{n_k}[/tex] converges.

Let [tex]\forall \varepsilon > 0[/tex]. Since [tex]\liminf |a_n| = 0[/tex], there [tex]\exists N > 0[/tex] such that for [tex]n \geq N[/tex] we have [tex]|a_n| < \varepsilon[/tex].

In particular, for [tex]n_1 > N [/tex], we have [tex]|a_{n_1}| < 1[/tex]. And again, for [tex]n_2 > n_1 > N [/tex], we have [tex]|a_{n_2}| < \frac{1}{2^2}[/tex]. (I'm omitting the induction argument here because I'm lazy) but eventually, you'll have that [tex]|a_{n_k}| < 1/k^2[/tex] for [tex]\forall k \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]. And since the RHS is a p-series, which converges, and thus by the Comparison Test, we have that [tex]\sum |a_{n_k}|[/tex] converges. Since absolute convergence implies convergence, it follows that [tex]\sum a_{n_k}[/tex] converges.

Last edited:
Actually, an even easier argument could be made as follows. Since [tex]\liminf |a_n| = 0[/tex] and since the liminf is the infimum of the set of subsequential limits, there exists a subsequence [tex](|a_{n_k}|)[/tex] such that [tex]\lim_{k \to \infty} |a_{n_k}| = 0[/tex]. This means that [tex]\forall \varepsilon > 0, \exists N > 0[/tex] such that [tex]\forall k > N[/tex], we have [tex]| |a_{n_k}| | = |a_{n_k}| < \varepsilon[/tex]. Repeat the same argument that I'd provided above.

But note that in the first argument above, I never used any properties of the set of subsequential limits; in fact, I just went by definition of what liminf means and from that, I had to construct my subsequence. But in this argument, I already "know" there will be a subsequence that converges to the limit zero. And from this, we can use standard limit properties to construct what we'd desired. It's quite different in approach, IMHO, even though both use a similar argument and I would think that the subsequential limit approach is much more sophisticated (i.e. you need to actually prove that if [tex]S[/tex] is the set of subsequential limits of the sequence [tex](s_n)[/tex], then [tex]\inf S = \liminf s_n[/tex].)

Thank you all. As you can see from my original post, I hadn't thought of actually constructing a subsequence with the desired property. I appreciate the help.

1. How can a subsequence prove the existence of something?

A subsequence is a sequence that is derived from a larger sequence by selecting certain elements and arranging them in the same order. By showing that a subsequence exists, we can demonstrate that there is a pattern or structure within the larger sequence.

2. Why is it important to prove the existence of a subsequence?

Proving the existence of a subsequence can provide evidence for the existence of a larger phenomenon or concept. It can also help us better understand the underlying structure or patterns within a sequence, which can have applications in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and biology.

3. What methods can be used to prove the existence of a subsequence?

There are various methods that can be used to prove the existence of a subsequence, such as the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, the pigeonhole principle, and the Cauchy principle. These methods rely on mathematical principles and techniques to demonstrate the existence of a subsequence within a larger sequence.

4. Can a subsequence only exist in numerical sequences?

No, a subsequence can exist in any type of sequence, including numerical, alphabetical, or even in a sequence of events or actions. As long as there is a pattern or structure within the larger sequence, a subsequence can exist.

5. What are some real-world examples of subsequence existence?

One example of subsequence existence is in genetics, where a DNA sequence can be broken down into subsequences that represent specific genes. Another example is in computer science, where data can be organized and analyzed by finding subsequences within larger data sets. Additionally, in music, a melody can be seen as a subsequence within a larger musical piece.