Prove the sequence has a limit value and find it's limit value

In summary: Can I word it like this; n+1=t-->infinity & n--> infinity, when n-->infinty. So that lim(a(t)) = L & lim(a(n)) = L when n->infinity.
Jarfi

Homework Statement

Given the sequence: a(1) = 1, a(n+1)=0,5(a(n)+2/a(n))

n>=1

Homework Equations

I have found through speculations that the limit value is SQRT(2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by proving that for n>1; a(n+1) < a(n) and also proved that for n>1 the sequence is limited from below, by SQRT(2).

Now I have the conditions for the rule: if a function(or sequence(i think/hope)) f is decreasing, and is limited from below, it has the limit value;

Lim(f) = A when x-->infinity where A = inf(f(x)) where x is close to infinity.

Now the problem, I had two possible routes:

1: Find inf(f), I started by proving that for all n>1, a(n)>=SQRT(2)

then I made a K>SQRT(2) and tried proving that there existed an n+1>1 where a(n)<K, I am not sure of that but I think it can be done by choosing a domain for K and solving it for K, I got for a(n+1):

K-SQRT(k^2-2) < a(n) < K+SQRT(k^2-2) and this is where I was at so far.

2: Find the limit value of a(n) with conventional methods, whatever those are, because I have apparently done so a year ago when we were yet to explore sup and inf of functions, somehow you are suppost to get;

Lim(f) = SQRT(2) when x-->infinity but I'm not sure how you do that.

If anybody has a good tutorial or explanation on this, or help in general it would be greatly appreciated, I am suppost to give in my maths report tomorrow morning,

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:

Homework Statement

Given the sequence: a(1) = 1, a(n+1)=0,5(a(n)+2/a(n))

n>=1

Homework Equations

I have found through speculations that the limit value is SQRT(2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by proving that for n>1; a(n+1) < a(n) and also proved that for n>1 the sequence is limited from below, by SQRT(2).

Now I have the conditions for the rule: if a function(or sequence(i think/hope)) f is decreasing, and is limited from below, it has the limit value;

Lim(f) = A when x-->infinity where A = inf(f(x)) where x is close to infinity.

Now the problem, I had two possible routes:

1: Find inf(f), I started by proving that for all n>1, a(n)>=SQRT(2)

then I made a K>SQRT(2) and tried proving that there existed an n+1>1 where a(n)<K, I am not sure of that but I think it can be done by choosing a domain for K and solving it for K, I got for a(n+1):

K-SQRT(k^2-2) < a(n) < K+SQRT(k^2-2) and this is where I was at so far.

2: Find the limit value of a(n) with conventional methods, whatever those are, because I have apparently done so a year ago when we were yet to explore sup and inf of functions, somehow you are suppost to get;

Lim(f) = SQRT(2) when x-->infinity but I'm not sure how you do that.

If anybody has a good tutorial or explanation on this, or help in general it would be greatly appreciated, I am suppost to give in my maths report tomorrow morning,

Thank you.

If you have proved that the sequence is decreasing and bounded below, then you know it has a limit L. Now finding what the limit is is easy. If you let n->infinity in a(n+1)=0.5(a(n)+2/a(n)) you get L=0.5(L+2/L). Just solve for L.

Dick said:
If you have proved that the sequence is decreasing and bounded below, then you know it has a limit L. Now finding what the limit is is easy. If you let n->infinity in a(n+1)=0.5(a(n)+2/a(n)) you get L=0.5(L+2/L). Just solve for L.

How do you know that when n -> infinity, a(n+1) = a(n) = L getting L=0,5(l+2/L)

Do I just say that infinity + 1 is equal to infinity?

Jarfi said:
How do you know that when n -> infinity, a(n+1) = a(n) = L getting L=0,5(l+2/L)

Do I just say that infinity + 1 is equal to infinity?

"infinity + 1" doesn't have much meaning. I definitely wouldn't say it that way. a(n) is the sequence {a(1),a(2),a(3),a(4),...}, a(n+1) is the sequence {a(2),a(3),a(4),...}. They aren't the same sequence but if the limit of a(n) is L, then the limit of a(n+1) is also L, isn't it? Just think about the definition of limit.

Dick said:
"infinity + 1" doesn't have much meaning. I definitely wouldn't say it that way. a(n) is the sequence {a(1),a(2),a(3),a(4),...}, a(n+1) is the sequence {a(2),a(3),a(4),...}. They aren't the same sequence but if the limit of a(n) is L, then the limit of a(n+1) is also L, isn't it? Just think about the definition of limit.

yeah, that explains it well. Can I word it like this; n+1=t-->infinity & n--> infinity, when n-->infinty. So that lim(a(t)) = L & lim(a(n)) = L when n->infinity.

Is this a "clean"/legit wording or should I try to assert what you said in a technical way?

Jarfi said:
yeah, that explains it well. Can I word it like this; n+1=t-->infinity & n--> infinity, when n-->infinty. So that lim(a(t)) = L & lim(a(n)) = L when n->infinity.

Is this a "clean"/legit wording or should I try to assert what you said in a technical way?

That's one way to say it. Substitute the variable t=n+1. I guess I wouldn't worry about stating it all that formally unless you really have to. It's sort of obvious. I'd just stay away from saying things like "infinity+1=infinity".

Related to Prove the sequence has a limit value and find it's limit value

1. What is a sequence in mathematics?

A sequence in mathematics is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. It can be finite or infinite, and each element in the sequence is called a term.

2. How do you prove that a sequence has a limit value?

To prove that a sequence has a limit value, you need to show that the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value as the sequence progresses. This can be done by using the definition of a limit or by using the squeeze theorem.

3. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

In calculus, the limit of a function is defined as the value that the function approaches as the input value approaches a specific point. It represents the behavior of a function near a certain point.

4. How do you find the limit value of a sequence?

To find the limit value of a sequence, you can use various techniques such as the limit laws, the squeeze theorem, or the ratio test. These methods involve evaluating the terms in the sequence and determining the behavior of the sequence as it approaches infinity.

5. What is the significance of finding the limit value of a sequence?

Finding the limit value of a sequence is significant because it helps determine the long-term behavior of the sequence. It can also be used to solve problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics, such as determining the convergence or divergence of a series.