Proving a couple of lines do not intersect a plane in ℝ4

In summary, to prove that two lines do not intersect a plane in ℝ4, it is necessary to show that the lines lie in parallel planes. This can be done by finding the equations of the lines and the equation of the plane, and determining if they lie in the same plane or not. ℝ4 represents four-dimensional Euclidean space and is used to describe the coordinates of points and determine if they intersect. A graph can be used to visually represent the lines and plane, but other techniques such as finding equations and using the dot product are necessary to prove non-intersection. While it is possible for two lines to intersect a plane in ℝ4, they must lie in the same plane or be parallel to do so.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi! I'm not sure the title I gave properly reflects my problem, but I did not know how to describe it in another way:

(roughly translated from German)
"In three dimensions, we can divide the space in two parts through a plane. In four dimensions, that does not work anymore. Given the plane in ℝ4:

E = { (x1, x2, 0, 0) | x1, x2 ∈ ℝ}

Show that two arbitrary points in ℝ4 not belonging to E can be joined by a maximum of two lines without intersecting with E."

Homework Equations

What gives me a headache is that we have not even started to talk about higher dimensions than 3 yet. Our teacher encourages us through the homework to make some research and learn on our own, but I could not find any relevant information about how to deal with such a problem.

However, we have mentioned scalar multiplication in ℝn and the fact that two coordinates of the plane are 0 makes me think that this problem might be easier than it seems.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start :( So far I only tried to formulate all I know in an algebraic way to avoid trying to "imagine" what four spatial dimensions might imply.

So I first defined two points:
P1, P2 ∈ ℝ4 ∧ P1, P2 ∉ E
For two lines to exist (and forget about the trivial case where one line would be enough), there must be a third point:
P3 ∈ ℝ4, ∉ E
And for ∀ Pi ∈ ℝ4, the lines A (P1, P2) and B (P2, P3) ∉ E

Unfortunately that didn't lead me anywhere... Any advice or suggestion of what to search for would be very much appreciated.Thank you in advance for your answers.J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the given points are not in E, you know that each is nonzero in one or other of the last two ordinates.
You can get from a point P to a point Q on a straight line by writing ##\lambda P+(1-\lambda)Q## and varying lambda from 1 to 0.
Your problem is that if P1 and P2 have opposite signs in their third ordinates, doing this will pass through a point which is zero in the third ordinate, so risks being in E.
So think in terms of making two transitions, one to get the third ordinate matching and one to get the fourth ordinate matching, that doesn't risk both those being zero at some intermediate point.

To begin, thank you very much for your answer. I already get a better idea of what's the direction to take. I give it a go:

We define three points P, Q, S ∈ ℝ4 ∧ P, Q, S ∉ E, which means that their coordinates cannot be equal to the corresponding coordinates of the plane:
P (p1, p2, p3, p4) with p1 ≠ x1, p2 ≠ x2, p3 ≠ 0, p4 ≠ 0
Q (q1, q2, q3, q4) with q1 ≠ x1, q2 ≠ x2, q3 ≠ 0, q4 ≠ 0
S (s1, s2, s3, s4) with s1 ≠ x1, s2 ≠ x2, s3 ≠ 0, s4 ≠ 0

You mentioned that we can define a straight line from P to Q by: λP+(1−λ)Q with 0 ≤ λ ≤ 1. Since I have never seen and even less used this formula before, I'm unsure as to what it really means and how to use it. In order for that line to never intersect E, I would assume that the coordinates of the line only need to never be equal to {x1, x2, 0, 0}, right?

If so, then the line equation would give me a linear system of equations with four unknowns:
λp1 + (1 - λ)q1 ≠ x1
λp2 + (1 - λ)q2 ≠ x2
λp3 + (1 - λ)q3 ≠ 0
λp4 + (1 - λ)q4 ≠ 0

Then of course the same for the second line from Q to S, but...That's too beautiful to be true, I'm sure I messed up somewhere! :DD

After reading the last line of your post again, I'm pretty sure that what I just wrote is completely wrong. I have to focus on the 3rd and 4th coordinates, so that both of them are never equal to 0 at the same time. Let me work on it for a while, and I'll come back again :)

I just have an extra question to feel more sure: if I have let's say a point P defined by (x1, x2, 7, 0). Does my point belong to E when three coordinates are equal to the ones of the plane?

A point belongs to a plane if and only if its coordinates satisfy the equations defining the plane. Here those equations are [itex]x_3= 0[/itex] and [itex]x_4= 0[/itex]. In the case of [itex](x_1, x_2, 7, 0)[/itex], [itex]x_1= 7\ne 0[/itex] so is NOT in the plane.

1. How do you prove that a couple of lines do not intersect a plane in ℝ4?

In order to prove that a couple of lines do not intersect a plane in ℝ4, you need to show that the lines lie in parallel planes. This can be done by finding the equations of the lines and the equation of the plane, and then determining if the lines lie in the same plane or not.

2. What is the significance of ℝ4 in this scenario?

ℝ4 represents four-dimensional Euclidean space, which is the space in which we live. In this scenario, it is used to describe the coordinates of points on the lines and the plane, and to determine if they intersect or not.

3. Can you use a graph to prove that two lines do not intersect a plane in ℝ4?

Yes, a graph can be used to visually represent the lines and the plane, and to determine if they intersect or not. However, a graph alone is not sufficient to prove that the lines do not intersect the plane.

4. What are some techniques that can be used to prove that two lines do not intersect a plane in ℝ4?

Some techniques that can be used include finding the equations of the lines and the plane, determining if the lines are parallel or not, and using the dot product to determine if the lines are perpendicular to the plane.

5. Can two lines ever intersect a plane in ℝ4?

Yes, it is possible for two lines to intersect a plane in ℝ4. However, in order for this to happen, the lines must lie in the same plane or be parallel to each other.