Proving a mapping from Hom(V,V) to Hom(V*,V*) is isomorphic

In summary: It means that if you have a function from V to V*, then the first ##T(V)## is the same as the second ##T##, since they are both linear. If you have a function from V* to V*, then the first ##T(V*)## is not the same as the second ##T##, since the first is transposed.
Adgorn

Homework Statement

Let V be of finite dimension. Show that the mapping T→Tt is an isomorphism from Hom(V,V) onto Hom(V*,V*). (Here T is any linear operator on V).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us denote the mapping T→Tt with F(T). V if of finite dimension, say dim (V)=n. Than dimension of V*=n as well, and dim(Hom(V,V))=dim(Hom(V*,V*))=n2. So in order to prove F(T) is an isomorphism I only need to prove it is linear and non-singular.

First, F(aT1+bT2) = (aT1+bT2)t = ##\phi##(aT1+bT2) = a##\phi##(T1) + b##\phi##(T2)= aT1t + bT2t = aF(T1)+bF(T2) for some a,b ∈ K and ##\phi## ∈ V*.

Thus, F is linear. Now the only thing left to proof is that Ker F={0}, and this is where I got stuck. I don't know how to prove that the function is non-singular, so I need some assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adgorn said:

Homework Statement

Let V be of finite dimension. Show that the mapping T→Tt is an isomorphism from Hom(V,V) onto Hom(V*,V*). (Here T is any linear operator on V).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us denote the mapping T→Tt with F(T). V if of finite dimension, say dim (V)=n. Than dimension of V*=n as well, and dim(Hom(V,V))=dim(Hom(V*,V*))=n2. So in order to prove F(T) is an isomorphism I only need to prove it is linear and non-singular.

First, F(aT1+bT2) = (aT1+bT2)t = ##\phi##(aT1+bT2) = a##\phi##(T1) + b##\phi##(T2)= aT1t + bT2t = aF(T1)+bF(T2) for some a,b ∈ K and ##\phi## ∈ V*.

Thus, F is linear. Now the only thing left to proof is that Ker F={0}, and this is where I got stuck. I don't know how to prove that the function is non-singular, so I need some assistance.
You have an inverse, don't you? Linearity, regularity and with comparison of dimension you have all you need, but why is ##F(\varphi) \in \operatorname{Hom}(V^*,V^*)## for ##\varphi \in \operatorname{Hom}(V,V)##? Where is the definition of a transposed mapping used?

Well, my book's definition of transpose mapping (which may not be the general one) is as follows:
Let T:V→U be a linear mapping from V to U, and let ##\phi## be a linear functional from U to U*. Then the transpose mapping Tt is a linear mapping from V* to U* is defined as Tt:V*→U*=##\phi \circ T##. Thus (Tt(##\phi##))(v)=##\phi##(T(v)).

Therefore if T ∈ Hom(V,V) (since it's a linear operator on V), then F(T)=Tt ∈ Hom(V*,V*) (since it's a linear operator on V*).

Also I'm afraid I am not advanced enough in my knowledge of the field to know what solution to deduce from what you said about linearity, regularity, and comparison of dimension. So more specification is required for me.

Adgorn said:
Also I'm afraid I am not advanced enough in my knowledge of the field to know what solution to deduce from what you said about linearity, regularity, and comparison of dimension. So more specification is required for me.
You have shown that transposing ##F## is linear. You also have compared dimensions, which are equal for ##\operatorname{Hom}(V,V)## and ##\operatorname{Hom}(V^*,V^*)##. Regular here is only another word for bijective. And as you already said, due to the dimensions, even injectivity is sufficient. Thus you asked about the kernel of transposing, but as ##F^2(T)=T## and thus ##F^2=1##, it has to be zero. Or you can assume ##F(T)=0##. Then ##0=F(T)(\phi(V))=\phi(T(V))## with the isomorphism ##\phi : V \rightarrow V^*##. Now what does that mean for first ##T(V)## and then for ##T##?

1. How do I prove that a mapping from Hom(V,V) to Hom(V*,V*) is isomorphic?

To prove that a mapping from Hom(V,V) to Hom(V*,V*) is isomorphic, you need to show that the mapping is a bijection, meaning that it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This can be done by showing that for every element in Hom(V,V), there exists a unique element in Hom(V*,V*) that maps to it, and vice versa.

2. What does it mean for a mapping to be isomorphic?

A mapping is isomorphic if it preserves the underlying structure of the objects being mapped. In this case, it means that the mapping from Hom(V,V) to Hom(V*,V*) preserves the linear transformations between vector spaces V and V*, and the two spaces are essentially the same in terms of their linear properties.

3. How does proving a mapping to be isomorphic in Hom(V,V) and Hom(V*,V*) relate to linear algebra?

Proving a mapping to be isomorphic in Hom(V,V) and Hom(V*,V*) is important in linear algebra because it allows us to identify and study the properties of vector spaces that are preserved under linear transformations. It also helps us understand the relationship between a vector space and its dual space, and how they behave under linear transformations.

4. What is the significance of proving a mapping to be isomorphic in Hom(V,V) and Hom(V*,V*)?

Proving a mapping to be isomorphic in Hom(V,V) and Hom(V*,V*) has several important implications in mathematics. It allows us to simplify complex problems and equations involving linear transformations, and it helps us identify common properties and structures among different vector spaces. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Can you provide an example of a mapping that is isomorphic in Hom(V,V) and Hom(V*,V*)?

One example of a mapping that is isomorphic in Hom(V,V) and Hom(V*,V*) is the transpose mapping. In this mapping, a linear transformation T in Hom(V,V) is mapped to its transpose T^T in Hom(V*,V*). This mapping is a bijection and preserves the linear properties of both vector spaces, making it an isomorphism. This mapping is commonly used in linear algebra and has important applications in areas such as matrix operations and eigenvalue problems.