Proving a matrix is orthogonal.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an orthogonal matrix and its inverse. The question at hand is how to prove that the inverse of an orthogonal matrix is equal to its transpose. The conversation also touches on the definition of an inverse and the use of summation in finding the elements of a vector. The individual is seeking help in understanding how to approach this proof.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

Question 10a of the attached paper.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If a matrix is orthogonal, its transpose is its inverse.

The inverse [itex]U^{-1}[/itex] is defined by Ʃ[itex]U^{-1}[/itex]ij Vj = uj

I don't know how to go about proving this. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• cp3.pdf
    85.5 KB · Views: 350
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no attached paper! Also your given definition of "inverse" can't be true because it makes no sense- you haven't said what Vj and uj are (and you must mean ui, not uj because you should be summing over j). If you are given a specific matrix, you need to answer three questions:
1) What is its transpose?
2) What is its inverse?
3) Are they the same?

I attached the paper about a minute after I posted; I think it's there now. :-)

Also, the sum is from j=1 to n. So the ith element of the vector u is the sum of the elements of one row of the matrix U with the elements of the vector j.

Take the inner product of vi and vj using their expansion in terms of u's, and consider how your answer relates to matrix multiplication

Related to Proving a matrix is orthogonal.

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be orthogonal?

A matrix is considered orthogonal if its columns and rows are all orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. This means that the dot product of any two columns or rows is equal to 0, indicating that they are at right angles to each other.

2. How can I tell if a matrix is orthogonal?

To determine if a matrix is orthogonal, you can calculate the dot product of its columns or rows. If the dot product is 0 for all pairs, then the matrix is orthogonal. Another way is to check if the inverse of the matrix is equal to its transpose. If this is true, then the matrix is orthogonal.

3. Can a non-square matrix be orthogonal?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be orthogonal. For a matrix to be orthogonal, it must have the same number of rows and columns, meaning it must be a square matrix. This is because the dot product can only be calculated for two vectors of the same dimension.

4. How do I prove that a matrix is orthogonal?

There are a few methods for proving that a matrix is orthogonal. One way is to calculate the dot product of its columns or rows and show that it is equal to 0 for all pairs. Another way is to show that the inverse of the matrix is equal to its transpose. You can also use the Gram-Schmidt process to orthogonalize the columns or rows of the matrix.

5. Are all orthogonal matrices also orthonormal?

Yes, all orthogonal matrices are also orthonormal. In addition to being orthogonal (having perpendicular columns and rows), an orthonormal matrix also has columns and rows that are unit vectors (length of 1). This means that the dot product of any two columns or rows is not only equal to 0, but also equal to 1.