Proving a Trigonometric Identity Involving Inverse Functions

In summary: Thanks for catching that!In summary, the author attempted to solve a homework problem, but was not able to do so.
cr7einstein

Homework Statement

After having struggled yesterday with this as much as I could, I am posting this problem here-
if ##ax+bsec(tan^{-1}x)=c## and ##ay+bsec(tan^{-1}y)=c##, then prove that ##\frac{x+y}{1-xy}=\frac{2ac}{a^2-c^2}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt- Comparing both the equations, ##x=y## clearly(it is a dummy variable, sort of). So we basically need to find ##\frac{2x}{1-x^2}##. Put ##x=tan\theta##; so the given equation becomes-

##a tan\theta +b sec\theta=c##. From here, I don't know what to do. I tried to put it in the form of ##a sin\theta -(c) cos\theta=-b##, then divide and multiply it with ##\sqrt{(a^2+c^2)}## and put it in the auxiliary form(using ##a=rcos\theta,c=rsin\theta##); but alas; no help. By just working backwards, we see that the transformations ##a=rcos\theta## and ##c=rsin\theta## give the answer; and these are also the transforms I need to get my auxiliary form I mentioned above. But how do I connect them beats me. and Please help; I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know a relationship between tan and sec?

I doubt that it is necessarily true that x=y, that will hold only if one proves that the equation ##ax+bsec(tan^{-1}x)=c## has unique solution and I doubt a trigonometric equation has unique solution.

From what i can see from wolfram solver, the equation does not has unique solution in real numbers, at least not in all cases.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=ax+bsec(arctan(x))=c

Last edited:
@Delta² and @haruspex I found the answer-make the equation a quadratic with roots being x and y; then use properties of sum and products. OR, make an equation with an auxiliary angle, and then solve the resulting trig equation. Thanks for the time though!

Likes Delta2
Ok.
Fwiw, I was hinting at using sec2=1+tan2, from which sec(tan-1(x))=√(1+x2). Maybe that's what you did.

Likes Delta2
@haruspex yes that's what I did...and even going by my initial attempt as stated in the problem, I got the same result.

1. What is an inverse trigonometry problem?

An inverse trigonometry problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the angle or angles that would produce a given trigonometric ratio. For example, if given the ratio of the sides of a right triangle (such as sine, cosine, or tangent), the inverse trigonometry problem would involve finding the angle(s) that would produce that ratio.

2. How do you solve an inverse trigonometry problem?

To solve an inverse trigonometry problem, you would use inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, or arctangent. These functions take in the trigonometric ratio and return the angle(s) that would produce that ratio. You can use a calculator or a trigonometric table to find the value of these inverse functions.

3. What are the common inverse trigonometric functions?

The most commonly used inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine (sin^-1), arccosine (cos^-1), and arctangent (tan^-1). These functions are the inverse of sine, cosine, and tangent, respectively. Other inverse trigonometric functions include secant (sec^-1), cosecant (csc^-1), and cotangent (cot^-1).

4. How do you use inverse trigonometric functions to solve real-world problems?

Inverse trigonometric functions can be used to solve real-world problems involving right triangles. For example, if you know the length of one side of a right triangle and the measure of one of the angles, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the length of the other sides. This can be useful in fields such as engineering, surveying, and navigation.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving inverse trigonometry problems?

Common mistakes when solving inverse trigonometry problems include using the wrong inverse function, not converting between degrees and radians, and not using the correct order of operations. It is also important to pay attention to the given information and make sure it is relevant to the problem at hand. Additionally, it is important to check for extraneous solutions, which are solutions that do not make sense in the context of the problem.