Proving (A U B) x (A U B) = (A x A) U (B x B) with Discrete Math

In summary, Dimitry is seeking help in proving the equation (A U B) x (A U B) = (A x A) U (B x B) if and only if (A C B) or (B C A). He starts by stating that he needs to prove both sides, and shows his progress on the first side when ACB. He then asks for advice and confirmation on his approach.
sallaboy
Hello,

How do I proove :

(A U B) x (A U B) = (A x A) U (B x B)

if and only if : (A C B) or (B C A) ?

Please Advice,
Dimitry Haritonov

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you've done so far, as per the Guidelines you agreed to.

Dear Tom,

First of all I need to proove the two sides.

so I've started with first side when ACB:

(a,b)E(AUB)x(AUB) => aE(AUB) and bE(AUB) => if ACB so AUB=B => aEB and bEB => (a,b)E(BxB)

the second side:

(a,b)E(AxA)U(BxB) => here I have a little problem, I don't sure that I can to state that: if ACB so (AxA)U(BxB) = (BXB).

If It's right, I can continue:

...(a,b)E(BXB)

and we got the same result by the two sides.

Please Advice,
Dimitry Haritonov

Dear Tom,

are there any ideas ?

Please Advice,
Dimitry Haritonov

Related to Proving (A U B) x (A U B) = (A x A) U (B x B) with Discrete Math

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements. It is used to solve problems in computer science, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is discrete math different from other branches of math?

Unlike continuous math, which deals with continuous objects and structures, discrete math focuses on objects that have distinct and separate values. It also uses logical reasoning and algorithms to solve problems, rather than relying solely on equations and formulas.

3. What are some common applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has a wide range of applications, including cryptography, computer algorithms, network optimization, and data analysis. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and linguistics.

4. What are some key concepts in discrete math?

Some key concepts in discrete math include set theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and propositional logic. These concepts are used to analyze and solve problems involving discrete structures and objects.

5. Is discrete math difficult to learn?

Discrete math can be challenging for some people, as it involves abstract thinking and logical reasoning. However, with practice and a solid understanding of fundamental concepts, it can be a fascinating and rewarding subject to learn.