Proving Asymptotic Comparisons of Integrals

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, proving asymptotic comparisons of integrals involves using techniques from calculus to understand the behavior of functions as their input values approach infinity. This can be helpful in determining the rate of growth or decay of a function and its relation to other functions. Some common examples include comparing exponential and polynomial functions, and logarithmic and power functions. It is important to prove these comparisons as they allow for a better understanding of function behavior at infinity, which can have practical applications in various fields. However, there are limitations to these comparisons, as they may not work for all types of functions and may not accurately reflect the behavior of a function for all values.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Let ##f## be piecewise continuous from ##[0,+\infty[## into ##V = \mathbb{R} ## or ##\mathbb{C}##, such that ## f(x) \longrightarrow_{ x\rightarrow +\infty} \ell ##.

Show that ## \frac{1}{x}\ \int_0^x f(t) \ dt \longrightarrow_{ x\rightarrow +\infty} \ell##

Homework Equations

[/B]
Integration of asymptotic comparisons

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Can you tell me if this is correct please ?

Since ##f - \ell = o_{+\infty}(1) ##, and since ## u: x \rightarrow 1 ## is non-negative, piecewise continuous, and non-integrable on ##[0,+\infty[##, then

## \int_0^x f(t) - \ell \ dt = o_{+\infty}(\int_0^x u(t) \ dt)##

which is the same as saying that ##\int_0^x f(t) \ dt - x \ell = o_{+\infty}(x) ##.

Multiplying left and right by ##\frac{1}{x}##, I get that ## \frac{1}{x}\ \int_0^x f(t) \ dt - \ell = o_{+\infty}(1)## which proves that

## \frac{1}{x}\ \int_0^x f(t) \ dt \longrightarrow_{ x\rightarrow +\infty} \ell##.

Is this OK ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I've had confirmation. Thanks !

geoffrey159 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f## be piecewise continuous from ##[0,+\infty[## into ##V = \mathbb{R} ## or ##\mathbb{C}##, such that ## f(x) \longrightarrow_{ x\rightarrow +\infty} \ell ##.
I think this is nicer notation: ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \ell##
My LaTeX script is ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \ell##
geoffrey159 said:
Show that ## \frac{1}{x}\ \int_0^x f(t) \ dt \longrightarrow_{ x\rightarrow +\infty} \ell##

Homework Equations

[/B]

[/B]

Since ##f - \ell = o_{+\infty}(1) ##, and since ## u: x \rightarrow 1 ## is non-negative, piecewise continuous, and non-integrable on ##[0,+\infty[##, then

which is the same as saying that ##\int_0^x f(t) \ dt - x \ell = o_{+\infty}(x) ##.

Multiplying left and right by ##\frac{1}{x}##, I get that ## \frac{1}{x}\ \int_0^x f(t) \ dt - \ell = o_{+\infty}(1)## which proves that

## \frac{1}{x}\ \int_0^x f(t) \ dt \longrightarrow_{ x\rightarrow +\infty} \ell##.

Is this OK ?

geoffrey159 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]

[/B]

Since ##f - \ell = o_{+\infty}(1) ##, and since ## u: x \rightarrow 1 ## is non-negative, piecewise continuous, and non-integrable on ##[0,+\infty[##, thena
Surely you meant "integrable" not "non-integrable" here?

Is this OK ?

Mark44 said:
I think this is nicer notation: ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \ell##
My LaTeX script is ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = \ell##

:-) Ok thanks, I'll try to follow that notation in the future

HallsofIvy said:
Surely you meant "integrable" not "non-integrable" here?

No, why do you say that? ##u = 1## is non-integrable on ##[0,+\infty[## since ##\int_0^x u(t) \ dt ## does not have a finite limit as ##x## tends to infinity.

Related to Proving Asymptotic Comparisons of Integrals

1. What is the purpose of proving asymptotic comparisons of integrals?

The purpose of proving asymptotic comparisons of integrals is to understand the behavior of functions as their input values approach infinity. This can help determine the rate of growth or decay of a function and its relationship to other functions.

2. How are asymptotic comparisons of integrals proven?

Asymptotic comparisons of integrals are proven using techniques from calculus, such as integration by parts and the comparison test. These techniques help determine the convergence or divergence of integrals and their behavior at infinity.

3. What are some common examples of asymptotic comparisons of integrals?

Some common examples of asymptotic comparisons of integrals include the comparison of exponential and polynomial functions, and the comparison of logarithmic and power functions. These comparisons can help determine which function grows faster or slower as the input values approach infinity.

4. Why is it important to prove asymptotic comparisons of integrals?

Proving asymptotic comparisons of integrals is important because it allows for a better understanding of the behavior of functions at infinity. This can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the rate of growth or decay of a function is crucial to understanding a system or process.

5. Are there any limitations to proving asymptotic comparisons of integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to proving asymptotic comparisons of integrals. These techniques may not work for all types of functions, and some functions may have complex behavior at infinity that cannot be easily determined. Additionally, these comparisons may not accurately reflect the behavior of a function for all values, as they only consider the behavior at infinity.