Proving Closure and Identity of aZ + bZ as a Subgroup of Z+

• Thread starter SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that aZ + bZ is a subgroup of Z+ and that a and b+7a generate aZ + bZ. It is stated that for something to be a subgroup, it must satisfy the properties of closure, identity, and inverses. The conversation then delves into how to prove these properties for this particular subset. It is also mentioned that a and b+7a generate a cyclic subgroup of aZ + bZ. The conversation ends with the individual stating that they have solved the problem.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

Let a and b be integers

(a) Prove that aZ + bZ is a subgroup of Z+
(b) prove that a and b+7a generate aZ + bZ

Homework Equations

Z is the set of all integers

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
In order for something to be a subgroup it must satisfy the following 3 properties:

(i)closure; that is that if aZ and bZ are in H (the subgroup of Z+) than aZ+bZ are in H.
(ii) identity: 0 is in H
(iii) inverses: if a(Z)+ b(Z) are in H, then so are -(a(Z) + b(Z)

i really don't know how to prove any of these are true for this particular subset.

I am also completley lost on part b.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:
In order for something to be a subgroup it must satisfy the following 3 properties:

(i)closure; that is that if aZ and bZ are in H (the subgroup of Z+) than aZ+bZ are in H.
(ii) identity: 0 is in H
(iii) inverses: if a(Z)+ b(Z) are in H, then so are -(a(Z) + b(Z)
It's simpler than that: For H to be a subgroup of a group G, H must be nonempty and if a, b are elements of H, then ab-1 is an element of H.

i really don't know how to prove any of these are true for this particular subset.
Start by proving that aZ + bZ is not empty. Then pick two arbitrary elements x and y in aZ + bZ and show that x - y is in aZ + bZ.

I am also completley lost on part b.
Do you know what "a and b + 7a generate aZ + bZ" means?

How do you show that aZ + bZ is non empty? it seems quite obvious to me but i don't know how to prove it.

Is it something like:

since a and b are integers, and when you mutiply integers with other integers, you get more integers.

I think that a and b+7a generate aZ+bZ means something like a cyclic subgroup generated by the elements a and b+7a is aZ + bZ

SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:
How do you show that aZ + bZ is non empty? it seems quite obvious to me but i don't know how to prove it.
Give me a putative element of aZ + bZ and prove that it actually belongs to aZ + bZ.

since a and b are integers, and when you mutiply integers with other integers, you get more integers.
And how does that relate to this problem.

I think that a and b+7a generate aZ+bZ means something like a cyclic subgroup generated by the elements a and b+7a is aZ + bZ
Something like that. Can you provide more details.

i know that the cyclic subgroup generated by a single element (lets say a) would be

(... a^-2 , a ^-1 , I , a, a^2, a^3, ...)

dunno how this works for 2 elements

NM i figured this whole problem out

Thanks.

feel free to lock mods.

Related to Proving Closure and Identity of aZ + bZ as a Subgroup of Z+

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger group that satisfies all of the same properties as the larger group. It must contain the identity element, be closed under the group operation, and have an inverse element for each element in the subgroup.

How do you prove that a set is a subgroup?

To prove that a set is a subgroup, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions of a subgroup: it contains the identity element, it is closed under the group operation, and it has an inverse element for each element in the subgroup. This can be done through direct proof or by showing that the subgroup is isomorphic to a known subgroup.

What is the difference between a subgroup and a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that for any element in the normal subgroup, conjugating it with any element in the larger group will result in an element that is still in the normal subgroup. Not all subgroups are normal, but all normal subgroups are also subgroups.

Can a set be a subgroup of multiple groups?

Yes, a set can be a subgroup of multiple groups. For example, the set of even integers is a subgroup of both the group of integers under addition and the group of integers under multiplication. In general, a subgroup must satisfy the properties of a group within the larger group it is a subset of, but it can still be a subgroup of multiple groups.

What is the significance of proving a set is a subgroup?

Proving a set is a subgroup allows us to further study and understand the structure of a larger group. It also allows us to use theorems and properties of the larger group to make conclusions about the subgroup. Additionally, subgroups are important in many areas of mathematics, including group theory, abstract algebra, and geometry.