Help with the Proof of an Operator Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the operator identity typically used in the Mori projector operator formalism for Generalized Langevin Equations. The identity is shown to hold by defining the function F(t) as exp(tL) and showing that the right-hand side of the equation also fulfills the same differential equation and initial condition. It is not necessary for the projection operator P and the Liouville operator L to commute for this identity to hold.
Opus_723
I'm trying to come up with a proof of the operator identity typically used in the Mori projector operator formalism for Generalized Langevin Equations,

[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+\int_{0}^{t}dse^{(t-s)L}PLe^{s(1-P)L}[/tex],

where L is the Liouville operator and P is a projection operator that projects onto a finite subset of Hilbert space, abstractly defined by

[tex]PB = \sum_{j,k}(B,A_j)((A,A)^{-1})_{j,k}A_k[/tex]

Where A is the set of functions to be projected onto and ( . , . ) denotes an unspecified inner product.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty rusty with operators in general, and although I can write down a "derivation," it relies on an assumption that I can't figure out a justification for. Here is what I did:

[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+e^{tL}-e^{t(1-P)L}[/tex]
[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+e^{tL}(1-e^{-tPL})[/tex]
[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+e^{tL}(e^{-0*PL}-e^{-tPL}) [/tex]
[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+e^{tL}(-e^{-tPL})\bigg|_0 ^t[/tex]
[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+e^{tL}\int_{0}^{t}\frac{d}{ds}(-e^{-sPL})[/tex]
[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+e^{tL}\int_{0}^{t}PLe^{-sPL}[/tex]
[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+e^{tL}\int_{0}^{t}PLe^{-sL+s(1-P)L}[/tex]
[tex]e^{tL} = e^{t(1-P)L}+\int_{0}^{t}e^{(t-s)L}PLe^{s(1-P)L}[/tex]

Notice, however, that throughout this process I liberally assumed, in many steps, that the projection operator P and the Liouville operator L *commute*, mostly by blithely using the typical properties of the exponential as if the operators were numbers, but also in the last step more explicitly. So I see 3 options:

1) L and P are guaranteed to commute for some reason that's not obvious to me.
2) This is a bad way to prove the identity and if I did it some other way I wouldn't need them to commute, or maybe I am completely misunderstanding how to manipulate these objects.
3) This assumption is *not* guaranteed, but it *is* actually necessary for the identity to hold even though I haven't seen this assumption stated explicitly anywhere.

My guess is that either 1 or 2 is the correct answer, but I'm not able to puzzle it out. Can anyone with more experience with projection operators help me understand this identity? Thank you for your time.

EDIT: If it helps, I'm following the treatment in Ch. 8 of Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics by Robert Zwanzig, although this same identity seems to pop up along with an "it is easy to show that..." in every treatment I can find.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's define
$$F(t)=\exp(t L).$$
Then ##F## is defined by the differential equation
$$\mathrm{d}_t F(t)=L F(t)=F(t) L, \quad F(0)=1.$$
The only thing we need to do is to show that also the right-hand side of the equation fulfills the same differential equation and initial condition. The latter is trivial.

Now let's take the derivative wrt. ##t## of the right-hand side, which we call ##\tilde{F}(t)##
$$\mathrm{d}_t \tilde{F}(t)=(1-P)L \exp[t (1-P)L]+P L \exp[t(1-P)L]+L \int_0^t \mathrm{d} s \exp[(t-s)L] P L \exp[s(1-P)L]=L \tilde{F}(t).$$
So indeed ##\tilde{F}## fulfills the differential equation and the initial condition as ##F##. So ##F=\tilde{F}##. Note that I've nowhere used that ##P## and ##L## maybe commute.

I hope, I've not overlooked any detail, because this looks so simple ;-).

1. What is an operator identity?

An operator identity is a mathematical equation that relates two or more operators. It states that the two operators are equivalent, meaning they have the same effect on any given input.

2. Why is proving an operator identity important?

Proving an operator identity is important because it allows us to understand the relationships between different operators and how they can be used interchangeably in certain situations. It also helps us to simplify complex mathematical expressions.

3. What is the process for proving an operator identity?

The process for proving an operator identity involves manipulating the operators and their inputs using established mathematical rules and properties. This can include using commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as algebraic manipulation and substitution.

4. What are some common techniques used in proving operator identities?

Some common techniques used in proving operator identities include using the definition of the operators, using known identities or properties, and simplifying the expressions using algebraic manipulation. It is also helpful to break down the operators into their individual components and work with them separately.

5. How can I check if my proof of an operator identity is correct?

You can check if your proof of an operator identity is correct by substituting different values for the inputs and verifying that the resulting outputs are equivalent. You can also compare your proof to other known identities or ask for feedback from other mathematicians or scientists.