Proving direct band gap property of a semiconductor

In summary, the speaker is seeking ways to prove the direct band gap property of a Transition Metal Dichalcogenide through experimentation. They mention using PL measurements and mention the possibility of using Band edge absorption spectroscopy. They also mention that ARPES is not suitable due to the small channel length and their use of the scotch tape method for exfoliation. They ask for any other equipment or techniques that can help prove the direct band gap property and provide a link for further information.
hasniali
Hi,
How can I prove direct band gap property of a Transition Metal Dichalcogenide electrically and optically through experimentation? I can use PL measurements to prove this for optical band gap. Is there any other equipment or technique to prove this? I can not use ARPES because channel length is around 5 um. I think ARPES requires larger films. I am using scotch tape method for exfoliation. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Another way is Band edge absorption spectroscopy. Absorption curve is much sharper for direct band semiconductors.
See this:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_can_you_know_the_material_is_of_direct_band_gap_or_indirect_bandgap

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the direct band gap property of a semiconductor proven?

The direct band gap property of a semiconductor can be proven through various experimental techniques, such as photoluminescence spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and transmission electron microscopy. These techniques involve measuring the energy levels and interactions of electrons in the semiconductor material.

2. Why is the direct band gap property important in semiconductors?

The direct band gap property is important because it allows for efficient light emission and absorption, making it a crucial factor in the design and functionality of optoelectronic devices such as solar cells, LEDs, and lasers.

3. What is the difference between direct and indirect band gap semiconductors?

In direct band gap semiconductors, the minimum energy level of the conduction band and the maximum energy level of the valence band occur at the same momentum in the electronic band structure, allowing for direct transitions between the bands. In indirect band gap semiconductors, these energy levels occur at different momenta, making direct transitions less likely and resulting in weaker light emission.

4. Can the direct band gap property of a semiconductor be changed?

Yes, the direct band gap property of a semiconductor can be changed through various methods such as doping, strain engineering, and alloying. These techniques can alter the energy levels and band structure of the semiconductor, resulting in a change in the direct band gap property.

5. What are some applications that rely on the direct band gap property of semiconductors?

The direct band gap property of semiconductors is crucial in the development of optoelectronic devices, such as solar cells, LEDs, and lasers. It is also important in the field of quantum computing, as direct band gap semiconductors are used in the creation of qubits for quantum computation.