Proving Divisibility Using Fermat's Theorem

In summary, the problem is to prove that 2^15-2^3 divides a^15-a^3 for any integer a. This can be shown by proving that 4080 divides a^15-a^3, which is equivalent to showing that a^15-a^3 = k * 5*7*8*9*13. Using Euler's theorem, it can be shown that a^15-a^3 is divisible by 7 and 13, and using Fermat's theorem, it can be shown that a^15-a^3 is divisible by 5. For 8 and 9, the proof is more direct as if a is even, a^15-a^3 is clearly divisible by
bobby2k

Homework Statement

Prove that 2^15-2^3 divides a^15-a^3 for any integer a.
Hint: 2^15-2^3 = 5*7*8*9*13

Homework Equations

fermats theorem
eulers theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the problem is equal to show that 4080 divides any number a^13-a^3, that is

a^15-a^3 = k * 5*7*8*9*13

I was thinking about using Eulers theorem on each 5,7,8,9,13

phi(5)=4
phi(7)=7
phi(8)=4
phi(9)=6
phi(13)=12But my problem is this. This works for all the prime numbers because then gcd(a^15-a^3, prime)=1

But 8 and 9 we do not have prime numbers, so in order to use Eulers theorem i must show that
gcd(a^15-a^3,8)=1 and gcd(a^15-a^3,9)=1, correct?

How do I do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobby2k said:

Homework Statement

Prove that 2^15-2^3 divides a^15-a^3 for any integer a.
Hint: 2^15-2^3 = 5*7*8*9*13

Homework Equations

fermats theorem
eulers theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the problem is equal to show that 4080 divides any number a^13-a^3, that is

a^13-a^3 = k * 5*7*8*9*13

I was thinking about using Eulers theorem on each 5,7,8,9,13

phi(5)=4
phi(7)=7
phi(8)=4
phi(9)=6
phi(13)=12But my problem is this. This works for all the prime numbers because then gcd(a^13-a^3, prime)=1

But 8 and 9 we do not have prime numbers, so in order to use Eulers theorem i must show that
gcd(a^13-a^3,8)=1 and gcd(a^13-a^3,9)=1, correct?

How do I do this?

I'm not sure what you are planning on doing with those phi's. You need to show that each of the numbers 5,7,8,9,13 divides a^15-a^3 (I'm not sure why you switched to a^13-a^3 - typo I assume). Can you show ANY of those numbers divides a^15-a^3? Just using Fermat's theorem will let you prove some of them.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I'm not sure what you are planning on doing with those phi's. You need to show that each of the numbers 5,7,8,9,13 divides a^15-a^3 (I'm not sure why you switched to a^13-a^3 - typo I assume). Can you show ANY of those numbers divides a^15-a^3?

Hey
Sorry it was a typo yes. I am able to show it easy for the prime numbers. Like seven for example:
Eulers theorem gives that
a^15=a^7*a^7*a = a*a*a=a^3 (mod 7)
So a^15-a^3 = 0 (mod 7).The problem comes in 8 and 9. Since we have that phi(8)=4.
We have that
a^15 = a^5*a^5*a^5=a*a*a=a^3(mod 8).
So a^15-a^3 = 0 (mod 8).

However in order for what I did to be legal for 8 and 9, I have to have that gcd(a^15-a^3, 8)=1(and the same for 9). If not, what I did in the last paragraph would not be legal.
If this is not the case, Eulers theorem can not be used, correct?

So i have to show that gcd(a^15-a^3,8)=1 and gcd(a^15-a^3,9)=1?

bobby2k said:
Hey
Sorry it was a typo yes. I am able to show it easy for the prime numbers. Like seven for example:
Eulers theorem gives that
a^15=a^7*a^7*a = a*a*a=a^3 (mod 7)
So a^15-a^3 = 0 (mod 7).The problem comes in 8 and 9. Since we have that phi(8)=4.
We have that
a^15 = a^5*a^5*a^5=a*a*a=a^3(mod 8).
So a^15-a^3 = 0 (mod 8).

However in order for what I did to be legal for 8 and 9, I have to have that gcd(a^15-a^3, 8)=1(and the same for 9). If not, what I did in the last paragraph would not be legal.
If this is not the case, Eulers theorem can not be used, correct?

So i have to show that gcd(a^15-a^3,8)=1 and gcd(a^15-a^3,9)=1?

Yes, the primes are easy. But I don't see how you can say that is legal even if gcd(a^15-a^3,8)=1, in fact, that contradicts a^15-a^3=0 (mod 8). I did 8 and 9 more directly without using either of those theorems. Take 8. If a is even then a^15-a^3 is clearly divisible by 8. If a is odd then a=2n+1 for some integer n. Can you show it's divisible by 8 in that case as well? Think about applying the binomial expansion to (2n+1)^15 and (2n+1)^3. You won't need the whole expansion, just the last few terms.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Yes, the primes are easy. But I don't see how you can say that is legal even if gcd(a^15-a^3,9)=1, in fact, that contradicts a^15-a^3=0 (mod 8). I did 8 and 9 more directly without using either of those theorems. Take 8. If a is even then a^15-a^3 is clearly divisible by 8. If a is odd then a=2n+1 for some integer n. Can you show it's divisible by 8 in that case as well? Think about applying the binomial expansion to (2n+1)^15 and (2n+1)^3. You won't need the whole expansion, just the last few terms.

Sorry i really screwed up. It was supposed to be that we must have that gcd(a,8), and gcd(a,9)=1, in order for that to work. But then I guess we must check what happens if they are not coprime. That is if either 2 or 3 is a factor of a, then still 8|(a^15-a^3) or 9|(a^15-a^3), but I guess we can see that this still happens.

I'll try your method, thanks!

What is Number Theory Fermat's Theorem?

Number Theory Fermat's Theorem, also known as Fermat's Last Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

Who discovered Number Theory Fermat's Theorem?

The theorem was first proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. However, the first complete proof of the theorem was not discovered until 1994 by British mathematician Andrew Wiles.

Why is Number Theory Fermat's Theorem important?

Fermat's Last Theorem is considered one of the most famous and important unsolved problems in mathematics. Its proof has significant implications in number theory and has led to advancements in other areas of mathematics.

What are some applications of Number Theory Fermat's Theorem?

Although the theorem itself may not have direct practical applications, its proof has led to the development of new mathematical techniques and has advanced our understanding of number theory, algebra, and geometry.

Is Number Theory Fermat's Theorem still an open problem?

No, the theorem has been proven to be true for all values of n greater than 2. However, there are still many open questions and unsolved problems related to Fermat's Last Theorem that continue to be studied by mathematicians.