Proving Equality of Interiors Under Homeomorphism

• Thread starter Mandelbroth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty with proving a statement involving homeomorphisms and continuity. The relevant equations and attempts at a solution are mentioned, with the use of invariance of domain and properties of homeomorphisms being key in solving the problem.
Mandelbroth
A friend gave me this to prove as part of an ongoing "game." I'm having a serious amount of difficulty with it, and I don't know what I need to do.

Homework Statement

"Prove the following:
If ##U\subset\mathbb{R}^n## is open, ##A\subset U## is homeomorphic to ##S^{n-1}##, and ##\varphi:U\to\mathbb{R}^n## is a continuous bijection from ##U## to ##\mathbb{R}^n##, then ##\varphi(\operatorname{int} A)=\operatorname{int} \varphi(A)##."2. Relevant [strike]equations[/strike] lemma
My friend said that I "might" need to know that "if ##B\subset\mathbb{R}^n## is homeomorphic to ##D^n=\left\{x\in\mathbb{R}^n : |x|\leq 1\right\}##, then ##\mathbb{R}^n\setminus B## is connected."

Here, the ##|x|## means ##\displaystyle \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know where to start on this one. From the lemma that I "might" need, I know that ##\mathbb{R}^n\setminus \operatorname{int} A## is connected, but I don't know what this implies or how this gets me anywhere.

I'm really confused. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused, A is a codimension 1 submanifold of Rn so has no interior.

Use invariance of domain.

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Use invariance of domain.
So, by invariance of domain, we know that, since ##\operatorname{int} A## is open, then ##\varphi(\operatorname{int} A)## is also open, right? I also know that ##\operatorname{int} \varphi(A)## is open. This is at least something, but I don't know where this goes. Could you please give another hint?

Prove that if ##\varphi## is a homeomorphism, then for each set ##B## holds that ##int \varphi(B) = \varphi(int(B))##.

micromass said:
Prove that if ##\varphi## is a homeomorphism, then for each set ##B## holds that ##int \varphi(B) = \varphi(int(B))##.
I'm sorry. I knew that comes next because ##\varphi## being a homeomorphism follows from invariance of domain. I should have said that I don't know what property of a homeomorphism implies that equality. I think what I'm looking for can be stated in the form "[property] is conserved under homeomorphism," but I don't know. :confused:

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. Invariance of domain implies homeomorphisms between subsets of ##\mathbb{R}^n## map interior points of one subset to interior points of the other. The result follows from this. Thank you for your patience. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is "Proof using interiors"?

"Proof using interiors" is a method of mathematical proof where the interior points of a set are used to prove a statement about the boundary of that set.

2. How does "Proof using interiors" differ from other methods of proof?

Unlike other methods of proof, "Proof using interiors" focuses on the interior points of a set rather than the entire set itself. This can often lead to more concise and elegant proofs.

3. What types of statements can be proved using "Proof using interiors"?

"Proof using interiors" can be used to prove statements about the boundary of a set, such as continuity, differentiability, and convergence of functions.

4. What are the advantages of using "Proof using interiors"?

Using "Proof using interiors" can often simplify proofs and make them more intuitive. It also allows for more creative and unique approaches to solving problems.

5. Are there any limitations to "Proof using interiors"?

While "Proof using interiors" can be a powerful tool, it may not always be applicable to every problem. It is important to consider other methods of proof as well to ensure the most efficient and effective solution.