Proving Least Positive Residue Using m-Cycle Permutations

In summary, the theorem states that for any ##m##-cycle ##(a_1 ~ a_2 ... a_m)## and any ##i \in \{1,...,m\}##, the element ##a_{k+i}## can be obtained by applying ##i## shifts to the element ##a_k##, where ##k+i## is replaced by its least positive residue ##\mod m##. This can be proven using induction, with the base case being when ##i=1## and the induction step relying on the fact that ##\sigma^{i+1}(a_k) = \sigma (\sigma^i(a_k)) = \sigma (a_r) = \sigma^1 (a
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##\sigma## is the ##m##-cycle ##(a_1 ~ a_2 ... a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \{1,...,m\}##, ##\sigma^{i}(a_k) = a_{k+i}##, where ##k+i## is replaced by its least positive residue ##\mod m##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is embarrassingly simple. What is the least positive residue? Would it be that number ##x \in \mathbb{Z}^+## for which ##x \equiv k+1 (\mod m)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##\sigma## is the ##m##-cycle ##(a_1 ~ a_2 ... a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \{1,...,m\}##, ##\sigma^{i}(a_k) = a_{k+i}##, where ##k+i## is replaced by its least positive residue ##\mod m##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is embarrassingly simple. What is the least positive residue? Would it be that number ##x \in \mathbb{Z}^+## for which ##x \equiv k+1 (\mod m)##?
It simply means the remainders in ##\{1, \ldots , m\}## which is necessary for the index ##i+k## to make sense.
E.g. You can write ##16 = 2 \cdot 7 + 2## or ##16 = 1 \cdot 7 + 9## or ##16 = 4 \cdot 7 - 12##. All these numbers ##2,9,-12## are possible remainders of a division by ##7##. However, we usually only consider the ##2## as the one we want to look at. And ##2## is the least positive one.

Okay, I hate to revive this thread, but I haven't been able to look at the problem for some time. I am still having trouble with this least positive residue business. What happens if ##k+1## is a multiple of ##m##? Wouldn't the remainder be zero, which is a not a positive number? Don't we need to prove that ##k+1## divided by ##m## has a least positive residue in ##\{1,...,m\}##? I am not even sure I worded that last sentence correctly. I am trying to see the connection between the remainder you get from the division algorithm and the one the problem demands (i.e., the remainder in ##\{1,...,m\}##).

If ##k+1## is a multiple of ##m##, then the least positive residue is ##m## for the reason you noted, i.e., 0 is not a positive number.

Okay, I think I am starting to see now. Perhaps someone could help me with proving the theorem now. We will prove the theorem by induction. When ##i=1##, we have the formula says ##\sigma^1(a_k) = a_{k+1}##. Now, either ##k+1 \in \{1,...,m\}## or ##k+1 = m+1##. In in first case, we have ##k+1 = m \cdot 0 + k+1## and therefore the least positive residue is ##k+1##, implying ##\sigma^1 (a_k)=a_{k+1}##. In the second case, the least positive residue is ##1## and ##k=m##, so that ##\sigma^1(a_k) = \sigma(a_m) = a_1##. In either case, however, the formula agrees with how ##\sigma## is defined to map the elements ##\{a_1,...,a_m\}##.

I feel that the above is correct, but it could perhaps be stated more precisely, especially the line ##\sigma^1(a_k) = \sigma(a_m) = a_1##.

Now I am trying to work on induction, but I am having a little trouble. Suppose that ##\sigma^i(a_k)= a_{r}##, where ##r## is the least positive residue, holds for some ##i## (which ##i##? How many?). Then ##\sigma^{i+1}(a_k) = \sigma (\sigma^i(a_k))##. Since this holds for ##i##, ##\sigma^i(a_k) = a_r##. I am having trouble seeing what ##\sigma## does to ##a_r##; i.e., what does ##\sigma (a_r)## equal?

Bashyboy said:
Okay, I think I am starting to see now. Perhaps someone could help me with proving the theorem now. We will prove the theorem by induction. When ##i=1##, we have the formula says ##\sigma^1(a_k) = a_{k+1}##. Now, either ##k+1 \in \{1,...,m\}## or ##k+1 = m+1##. In in first case, we have ##k+1 = m \cdot 0 + k+1## and therefore the least positive residue is ##k+1##, implying ##\sigma^1 (a_k)=a_{k+1}##. In the second case, the least positive residue is ##1## and ##k=m##, so that ##\sigma^1(a_k) = \sigma(a_m) = a_1##. In either case, however, the formula agrees with how ##\sigma## is defined to map the elements ##\{a_1,...,a_m\}##.

I feel that the above is correct, ...
Yes.
... but it could perhaps be stated more precisely, especially the line ##\sigma^1(a_k) = \sigma(a_m) = a_1##.
To me, it's fine.

Now I am trying to work on induction, but I am having a little trouble. Suppose that ##\sigma^i(a_k)= a_{r}##, where ##r## is the least positive residue, holds for some ##i## (which ##i##? How many?).
It holds for all numbers from ##1## to ##i##. We simply pretend as if we had checked them all. And from that, we show, that it has to be also true for the next one, that is ##i+1##.

Then ##\sigma^{i+1}(a_k) = \sigma (\sigma^i(a_k))##. Since this holds for ##i##, ##\sigma^i(a_k) = a_r##.
Correct.
I am having trouble seeing what ##\sigma## does to ##a_r##; i.e., what does ##\sigma (a_r)## equal?
Now you get a little bit lost. What you have (by induction hypothesis) is ##\sigma^{i+1}(a_k) = \sigma (\sigma^i(a_k)) = \sigma (a_r) = \sigma^1 (a_r)##. You just have written it (in the line above my "correct"). But you know more about ##r##. You constructed it with ##i## by doing ##i## additions ##+1## and reduced every of the ##i## results modulo ##m##, step by step from ##1## until ##i##. So is this the same as reducing the entire ##r=k+i## in one step instead? From here on, simply apply the same argument to ##a_r## as you did in the induction base for ##a_k##.

1. What is the definition of "Least Positive Residue"?

The least positive residue is the smallest positive integer that is congruent to a given number modulo another number. In other words, it is the remainder when the number is divided by the other number.

2. How is the least positive residue calculated?

The least positive residue can be calculated using the formula (a mod n), where a is the given number and n is the number it is being divided by.

3. What is the importance of finding the least positive residue?

Finding the least positive residue is important in many mathematical and scientific fields, such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science. It allows for simplification of calculations and helps in solving complex problems involving congruence.

4. Can the least positive residue be negative?

No, the least positive residue is always a positive integer. If the result of the calculation (a mod n) is a negative number, it can be converted to a positive number by adding n to it.

5. How is the least positive residue related to the concept of congruence?

The concept of the least positive residue is closely related to congruence. When two numbers are congruent modulo n, it means that they have the same least positive residue when divided by n. In other words, they have the same remainder when divided by n.