Proving lim_{x->\frac{1}{10}}\frac{1}{x}=10

In summary, the student attempted to find a solution to a homework problem that required going from 1/x to x, but was unable to due to an error in the denominator. Epsilon/200 was found to be the solution.
Metal_Zelda

Homework Statement

Prove [tex]lim_{x->\frac{1}{10}}\frac{1}{x}=10[/tex]

Homework Equations

|f(x)-L|<epsilon, |x-a|<delta

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to go from 1/x to x, so I applied an initial condition of delta<1/20
[tex]
\frac{-1}{20}<x-\frac{1}{10}<\frac{1}{20}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{10}<x<\frac{3}{10}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{x}<10
[/tex]

Moving on to the left side of the proof,
[tex]
|\frac{1}{x}-10|<\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]-\epsilon<\frac{1}{x}-10<\epsilon[/tex]

This is where I am stuck. If I use the fact that 1/x<10, I end up with -epsilon<10-10<epsilon, which isn't helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Metal_Zelda said:

Homework Statement

Prove [tex]lim_{x->\frac{1}{10}}\frac{1}{x}=10[/tex]

Homework Equations

|f(x)-L|<epsilon, |x-a|<delta

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to go from 1/x to x, so I applied an initial condition of delta<1/20
[tex]
\frac{-1}{20}<x-\frac{1}{10}<\frac{1}{20}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{10}<x<\frac{3}{10}[/tex]

I like that so far. Now look at your original problem$$
\left| \frac 1 x - 10\right| = \frac{|1-10x|}{|x|}= \frac{|\frac 1 {10}- x|}{|\frac x{10}|}$$which you are trying to make small. Can you underestimate the denominator using your last line above?

Last edited:
Okay, so I took |1/x-10|<epsilon and did

[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{10x}{x}<\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1-10x}{x}<\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-10(x-\frac{1}{10})}{x} <\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]-10(x-\frac{1}{10})<\delta, \; \; \mbox{where} \; \; \delta=\frac{1}{20}[/tex]

which leaves me with [tex]\frac{1}{200}<x-\frac{1}{10}<-\frac{1}{200}[/tex]
,Which is impossible. epsilon/200 seems to satisfy the requirement, though.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to switch the inequality symbols. It should be

[tex]\frac{1}{200}>x>-\frac{1}{200}[/tex]

Last edited:
I wasn't done editing and accidentally posted. Look at it now.

LCKurtz said:
I like that so far. Now look at your original problem$$
\left| \frac 1 x - 10\right| = \frac{|1-10x|}{|x|}= \frac{|\frac 1 {10}- x|}{|\frac x{10}|}$$which you are trying to make small. Can you underestimate the denominator using your last line above?

LCKurtz said:
I wasn't done editing and accidentally posted. Look at it now.

I made a few errors in my post as well. I'm going to retype everything I've done, please let me know if I've reached a solution.

[tex]|\frac{1}{x}-10|<\epsilon \; \; \mbox{when} \; \; |x-\frac{1}{10}|<\delta[/tex]

Let δ=1/20. Then, expanding the left side, we get

[tex] -\frac{1}{20}<x-\frac{1}{10}<\frac{1}{20} \; \rightarrow \; \frac{1}{10}<x<\frac{3}{10} \; \iff \; \frac{1}{10}<x \; \; \mbox {and} \; \; x<\frac{3}{10}[/tex]
Inverting the left side, we get
[tex]\frac{1}{x}<10[/tex]

Moving on to the right side,

[tex]
\frac{1}{x}-\frac{10x}{x}<\epsilon \; \rightarrow \; \frac{1-10x}{x}<\epsilon \; \rightarrow \;
\frac{-10(x-\frac{1}{10})}{x} <\epsilon[/tex]

We assume that
[tex]
-10(x-\frac{1}{10})<\delta, \; \; \mbox{where} \; \; \delta=\frac{1}{20}[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{1}{200}>x-\frac{1}{10}>-\frac{1}{200} \; \iff \; x-\frac{1}{10}< \frac{1}{200}[/tex]
Which implies that
[tex]\delta=min \{ \frac{1}{20},\frac{1}{200} \} \; \rightarrow \; \delta=\frac{1}{200}[\tex]

I'm assuming that I made a mistake on that last bit as 1/200 seems an odd bound.

Edit: I'm not sure why that last bit of latex isn't working. It should look like http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex...ightarrow&space;\;&space;\delta=\frac{1}{200}

Your ##\delta## must depend on ##\epsilon##. I think if you are careful you will find, with your original assumptions that ##\delta =\frac \epsilon {200}## will work. I suggest you work with absolute values. Think about underestimating ##\frac {|x|}{10}## in the denominator as I suggested. It's only another step or two.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The definition of a limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value or point.

2. How do you prove a limit using epsilon-delta definition?

To prove a limit using the epsilon-delta definition, you must show that for every epsilon (a small positive number), there exists a delta (a small positive number) such that if the distance between the input and the limit is within delta, then the distance between the output and the limit is within epsilon.

3. Can you use algebra to prove a limit?

Yes, algebra can be used to prove a limit. You can manipulate the function and use algebraic properties to simplify the expression and show that it approaches the desired limit.

4. What is the significance of the limit being equal to the function's value at that point?

If the limit is equal to the function's value at that point, it means that the function is continuous at that point. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function's graph at that point.

5. How do you prove the given limit of lim_{x->\frac{1}{10}}\frac{1}{x}=10?

To prove this limit, we must show that for any epsilon > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that if |x - 1/10| < delta, then |1/x - 10| < epsilon. We can start by choosing delta = 1/100, which makes the distance between x and 1/10 smaller than 1/100. Then, we can manipulate the inequality to get |1/x - 10| < 100|x - 1/10|. Since we have control over the value of delta, we can make sure that the right side of the inequality is less than epsilon. Therefore, the limit is proven.