Proving Maximum Volume of a Right Circular Cone: Optimization Problem Solution

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation for a right circular cone and the exploration of its maximum volume for a fixed surface area. It is shown that the maximum volume occurs when the semi-vertical angle, theta, is equal to tan theta=1/2(root 2). The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the second derivative test to determine if the maximum is a local min or max.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

A right circular cone of base radius r and height h has a total surface area S and volume V . Show that 9V2=r2(S2-2pir2S) . (i can do this part) . Hence or otherwise , show that for a fixed surface area S , the maximum volume of the cone occurs when its semi-vertical angle , theta is given by tan theta=1/2(root 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the proven equation ,

9V2=r2(S2-2pir2S)

Differentiate this wrt to r ,

dV/dr=(2S2r-8pi Sr3)/(18V)

dV/dr=0 , S=4pi r2 , substitue S with the area of cone , then
tan theta=r/h=1/(2 root 2)

This is my question , how do i prove that its a maximum ?

Physics news on Phys.org

when you took the derivative of the Volume function and set it equal to zero you are finding a critical value.
There are a couple ways to test whether it is a local min or max. The second derivative test is one of them.

note: I have to check your derivation; not that I am doubting it or anything.

Related to Proving Maximum Volume of a Right Circular Cone: Optimization Problem Solution

What is the formula for the volume of a right circular cone?

The formula for the volume of a right circular cone is V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

What is the optimization problem in finding the maximum volume of a right circular cone?

The optimization problem is finding the maximum volume of a right circular cone with a given surface area by varying the dimensions of the cone.

How do you solve the optimization problem for maximum volume of a right circular cone?

The optimization problem can be solved by taking the derivative of the volume formula and setting it equal to zero. Then, solving for the variable (either r or h) will give the optimal value for that variable, which can be used to find the maximum volume.

What is the significance of finding the maximum volume of a right circular cone?

Finding the maximum volume of a right circular cone is important in real-life applications such as designing containers or packaging, as it allows for the most efficient use of materials.

What are some real-life applications of the optimization problem for maximum volume of a right circular cone?

Some real-life applications include designing ice cream cones, party hats, traffic cones, and funnel-shaped containers.