Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid bounded by a cone and a sphere, using spherical coordinates. The conversation includes equations and steps for finding phi and theta, as well as a discussion on giving exact answers versus decimal approximations.
masterchiefo

Homework Statement

S is the sphere of equation x2 + y2 + z2 = 10z and C the cone of equation
z= sqrt(3*( x2 + y2)) . The axes are measured
centimeters.
R of sphere = 5
D = 10

Total height is 10 cm

Illustrate the solid E bounded by the C cone and the sphere S and calculate its volume using the details
Spherical.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To find phi:
x=0
z= sqrt(3*( x2 + y2))
z= sqrt(3*( 02 + y2))
z= y*sqrt(3)

y= 3 <== I picked 3, could of picked any number, its just to find the Z and then find the angle.
z= 3*sqrt(3)

tan(phi)=3/(3*sqrt(3))
phi = pi/6 ===30degree

Theta = 2*pi

$=integral
2*pi$0 pi/6$0 10*cos(phi)$0 p2*sin(phi) dp dphi dtheta

229.074cm3

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check the value of your integral but it looks like it is set up correctly. Why give a decimal instead of exact answer?

LCKurtz said:
I didn't check the value of your integral but it looks like it is set up correctly. Why give a decimal instead of exact answer?
I am used to give decimal as my teacher always ask for that.

LCKurtz said:

masterchiefo said:
I am used to give decimal as my teacher always ask for that.

Nevertheless, what you should routinely do is give the exact answer if it is practical, and at the very end put the decimal approximation. For example, if the exact answer is ##\frac {\sqrt 3} 5## you could write it like this:
$$\text{Your Variable }=\frac {\sqrt 3} 5 \approx .3464$$That would be correct, good form, and would satisfy your teacher.

1. What is the "Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord"?

The "Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of an ice-cream cone in spherical coordinates. This problem is commonly used in calculus and is often used to test students' understanding of volume calculations in different coordinate systems.

2. How is the volume of an ice-cream cone calculated in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the volume of an ice-cream cone is calculated using the formula V = (1/3)πh^2(3r-h), where h is the height of the cone and r is the radius of the base. This formula is derived from the formula for the volume of a cone in Cartesian coordinates, with the addition of a height factor to account for the slanted shape of the cone in spherical coordinates.

3. What are the applications of the "Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord" in science?

The "Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord" has applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the volume of objects with conical or spherical shapes, such as rockets, planets, and even DNA molecules.

4. How is the "Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord" related to real-life situations?

The "Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord" may seem like a purely theoretical problem, but it actually has many real-life applications. For example, engineers may use this problem to design storage tanks or silos with conical or spherical shapes. It can also be used to calculate the volume of ice cream in a cone, hence the name of the problem.

5. Are there any variations of the "Ice-Cream Cone problem - Volume in Spherical Coord"?

Yes, there are several variations of this problem that involve different shapes and coordinate systems. For example, there is a "Watermelon Slice problem" that involves finding the volume of a watermelon slice in cylindrical coordinates. There is also a "Chocolate Truffle problem" that involves finding the volume of a chocolate truffle in polar coordinates. These variations help students to further develop their understanding of volume calculations in different coordinate systems.