Proving One-to-One Property of Linear Transformations with Dimension Equality

In summary, to prove that a linear transformation T is one-to-one, we need to show that the dimension of V is equal to the dimension of the range of T. This can be done by using the fact that T is one-to-one if and only if the kernel (or null space) of T is equal to {0}. This means that there are no non-zero vectors k_i such that T(k_i) = 0. From this, we can see that T(c k_i) = 0, where c is a scalar. Therefore, the dimension of the range of T is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors k_i, which can be related to the dimension of V.
baileyyc
I am having trouble with this problem:
Let T:V->W be a linear transformation. Prove that T is one-to-one if and only if dimension of V = dim(RangeT).

I know that in order to be a linear transformation:
1) T(vector u + vector v) = T(vector u) + T(vector v) and
2) T(c*vector u) = cT(vector u), where c is a scalar

and I know that one-to-one means that there is exactly one x for every y, and that there are no unmapped elements.

and that the dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis.

But I'm not sure what I'm actually proving..

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know a theorem that relates the dimensions of V, range(T), and kernel(T)?

Hint: T is one-to-one if and only if kernel(T) = {0}.

(kernel means the same thing as null space, in case you haven't seen the term)

What if there is are non-zero vectors k_i such that T(k_i)=0?. What can you say about T(c k_i) and dim(range(T))? Can you relate dim V to dim(range(T)) and the number of linearly independent such vectors k_i?

Related to Proving One-to-One Property of Linear Transformations with Dimension Equality

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the structure of the original space. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix or a set of equations. The matrix representation is more commonly used and involves multiplying the input vector by a transformation matrix to produce the output vector.

3. What are some examples of linear transformations?

Some examples of linear transformations include rotation, scaling, shearing, and reflection. These transformations can be performed on vectors in 2D or 3D space. Additionally, functions such as differentiation and integration can also be considered linear transformations.

4. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the basic geometric structure of a vector space, meaning that parallel lines remain parallel and the origin remains fixed. However, a non-linear transformation does not satisfy these properties and can result in curved or distorted shapes.

5. How are linear transformations useful in real-life applications?

Linear transformations have many real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. They are also used in physics to describe the motion of objects and in economics to model supply and demand curves. Additionally, linear transformations are the basis for many machine learning algorithms used in artificial intelligence.