Proving Orthogonality of Legendre Polynomials

In summary, the problem discusses using orthogonality with the Legendre polynomials to prove an integral equation involving xPn(x) and Pm(x). The conversation suggests using the recursion relationships and the Rodriguez formula for the Legendre polynomials to solve the problem. The last equation has been previously demonstrated on PF. The problem was eventually solved using the recursion relationships.
Logarythmic
Problem:

Show that

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} x P_n(x) P_m(x) dx = \frac{2(n+1)}{(2n+1)(2n+3)}\delta_{m,n+1} + \frac{2n}{(2n+1)(2n-1)}\delta_{m,n-1}[/tex]

I guess I should use orthogonality with the Legendre polynomials, but if I integrate by parts to get rid of the x my integral equals zero.
Any tip on how to start working with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
First thought would be to use one of the recursion relationships on xPn(x).

For example -

[tex](l+1)P_{l+1}(x)\,-\,(2l+1)xP_l(x)\,+\,lP_{l-1}(x)\,=\,0[/tex]

BTW, has one shown -

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} P_n(x) P_m(x) dx = \frac{2}{2n+1}\delta_{m,n}[/tex]

That was demonstrated here on PF recently.

Last edited:
Yes, I've got the last equation and I'll try with the recursion, thank you. =)

Another thing I would recommend is to try using the Rodriguez formula for the Legendre polynomials, then play games with integration by parts.

And why is that? I solved the problem by the way. Pretty simple when you know about the recursion relationships.

Related to Proving Orthogonality of Legendre Polynomials

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are commonly used in mathematics and physics. They are named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first introduced them in 1782.

2. Why is it important to prove the orthogonality of Legendre polynomials?

Proving the orthogonality of Legendre polynomials is important because it allows us to use them in various mathematical and physical applications, such as solving differential equations, finding solutions to boundary value problems, and constructing orthogonal basis functions for approximating other functions.

3. How do you prove the orthogonality of Legendre polynomials?

The orthogonality of Legendre polynomials can be proved using the integral definition of orthogonality. This involves taking the inner product of two Legendre polynomials and showing that it equals zero when the polynomials are different and equals a non-zero constant when the polynomials are the same.

4. What is the significance of the orthogonality condition for Legendre polynomials?

The orthogonality condition for Legendre polynomials allows us to use them as basis functions for approximating other functions. This means that any function can be expressed as a linear combination of Legendre polynomials, making it easier to solve differential equations and other mathematical problems.

5. Are Legendre polynomials only orthogonal on a specific interval?

No, Legendre polynomials are orthogonal on the interval [-1, 1]. This makes them useful for solving problems that involve functions defined on this interval. However, they can also be rescaled to be orthogonal on any interval [a, b] by using a change of variables.