Proving rational surd inequalities

In summary, the conversation discusses using induction in a mathematical problem and rearranging an inequality. The original question is suggested to use induction for part c) but not part a). The conversation also mentions using contradiction and basic algebra techniques to solve the problem. The speakers also mention different approaches and solutions for the problem.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
show that ##\frac {1}{2\sqrt {n+1} }##< ##(n+1)^{0.5} -n^{0.5}##
Relevant Equations
maths induction
1599899474619.png

my attempt, i am not good in this kind of questions ...i need guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think using induction may be quite awkward in this case. Instead, why not rearrange the original inequality?

PeroK said:
I think using induction may be quite awkward in this case. Instead, why not rearrange the original inequality?

ok let me re arrange and upload...i have a problem with the latex for this problem...can you amend the original question for me?

1599900478273.png

sorry perok, this is how the original question looks like, a colleague suggested that i use maths induction...so what exactly am i supposed to do...thanks in advance

chwala said:
View attachment 269239

sorry perok, this is how the original question looks like, a colleague suggested that i use maths induction...so what exactly am i supposed to do...thanks in advance
That doesn't ask you to use induction for part a). Only part c).

ok let me type what i had done initially in a moment...hope you're safe during this trying times of corona virus...

1599902157388.png

is this right approach?

Showing that the inequality holds for ##n=0## is not sufficient to deduce it holds ##\forall n \geq 0##.

etotheipi said:
Showing that the inequality holds for ##n=0## is not sufficient to deduce it holds ##\forall n \geq 0##.

ok what approach should i take on this...see my proof above...is it correct?

You can try raising both sides of the inequality to the power of ##-1##

chwala said:
View attachment 269240

is this right approach?
I'm afraid I can't follow what you are trying to do here.

One approach is to assume that
$$\frac 1 {2\sqrt{n +1}} \ge \sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt n$$
And reach a contradiction, or a simple equation for ##n##. The first step must be to multiply through by ##\sqrt{n+1}##.

Last edited:
ok let me try and follow what you have indicated...

1599903656037.png

The last two steps are simply not correct.

There are basic techniques here that you don't seem to have picked up. If you have a surd in the denominator, you try multiplying though by it; if you have one surd, you isolate it on one side of the equation; then you square the equation.

This is basic algebra.

Likes chwala
1599905285838.png

that is my another approach...

chwala said:
that is my another approach...
You're nearly there. Just one step to go.

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
You're nearly there. Just one step to go.
bingo...

chwala said:
bingo...
But, look, you can cut out a lot of that unnecessary algebra. I'll do it without using contradiction:
$$\frac 1 {2\sqrt{n +1}} < \sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt n$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \ \ \frac 1 2 < n + 1 - \sqrt{n(n+1)}$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \ \ \sqrt{n(n+1)} < n + \frac 1 2$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \ \ n^2 + n < n^2 + n + \frac 1 4$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \ 0 < \frac 1 4$$
Therefore, the stated inequality is true for all ##n \ge 0##.

ok...how would it look like with contradiction, ...
can we say ##n^2+n+0.25≤n^2+ n## is a contradiction, therefore the converse is true?

chwala said:
ok...how would it look like with contradiction, ...
can we say ##n^2+n+0.25≤n^2+ n## is a contradiction, therefore the converse is true?
Yes, you cancel the ##n^2 + n## and leave a contradiction. If you don't use contradiction, then you need to take care that you have a two-way implication in each line.

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
Yes, you cancel the ##n^2 + n## and leave a contradiction. If you don't use contradiction, then you need to take care that you have a two-way implication in each line.

perok thanks for your time on this, i will endeavour to be more visible on this forum, cheers bingo:cool:

1599949984597.png

this is how my colleague handled part a of the question

1599950065412.png

this is how he did part (c) of the question, i would appreciate alternative ways...

1. What are rational surd inequalities?

Rational surd inequalities are mathematical expressions that involve rational numbers and square roots of positive integers. These types of inequalities are commonly used in algebra and are often solved to determine the range of possible values for a variable.

2. How do you prove rational surd inequalities?

To prove a rational surd inequality, you need to manipulate the given expression using algebraic techniques such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. You can also use properties of inequalities, such as multiplying or dividing by a positive number, to simplify the expression and prove the inequality.

3. What are some common strategies for solving rational surd inequalities?

Some common strategies for solving rational surd inequalities include isolating the rational surd term, using the properties of inequalities to manipulate the expression, and checking the solutions to ensure they satisfy the original inequality.

4. Are there any special cases when proving rational surd inequalities?

Yes, there are some special cases when proving rational surd inequalities. For example, if the inequality involves a square root of a negative number, the solutions will be imaginary. In this case, you will need to use the properties of inequalities to determine the range of possible values for the variable.

5. Why is it important to prove rational surd inequalities?

Proving rational surd inequalities is important because it allows us to determine the range of possible values for a variable in a given expression. This information is often used in real-world applications, such as in financial planning or engineering problems, to make informed decisions and solve complex problems.