Proving Spectrums: K6-$\lambda$I Matrix Trace

In summary, the author is working on a solution to a matrix equation and is having trouble understanding where to go from here. He suggests spectral information may be helpful and then provides a summary of his findings.
Lauren1234
Homework Statement
Consider the complete graph K6 (with 6 vertices).
a. Show that its spectrum is given by:
$σ(K6) = {[−1]^5, [5]}$
b. Use the spectrum given in [a.] to calculate the number of edges and triangles in K6
Relevant Equations
N/a
This is my solution so far however I’m not sure where to go from here I think it’s something to do with the trace of the matrix but. This is the full solution but I did row reduction on the matrix K6- $lambda$I

Attachments

• F1DF6B7B-7898-46F3-8DD7-28A3EFB448C1.png
    F1DF6B7B-7898-46F3-8DD7-28A3EFB448C1.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 134
Physics news on Phys.org
so the adjacency matrix for ##K_6 = \mathbf {11}^T - I_6 = J - I##. Can you compute the spectrum for ##J## (i.e. the all ones matrix)? Hint this is rank one, and the trace would be helpful here... after that you should know that for any matrix square matrix ##B## the new matrix ##B-I## has eigenvalues shifted down by one, why?

You can consider ##\text{trace}\big(K_6^m\big)## for well chosen $m$ for your part b.

I take it your problems are from a spectral graph theory course or perhaps general graph theory?

Hi thank you I think I managed to work it out I got 15 edges and 20 triangles using a formula I found!

StoneTemplePython said:
so the adjacency matrix for ##K_6 = \mathbf {11}^T - I_6 = J - I##. Can you compute the spectrum for ##J## (i.e. the all ones matrix)? Hint this is rank one, and the trace would be helpful here... after that you should know that for any matrix square matrix ##B## the new matrix ##B-I## has eigenvalues shifted down by one, why?

You can consider ##\text{trace}\big(K_6^m\big)## for well chosen $m$ for your part b.

I take it your problems are from a spectral graph theory course or perhaps general graph theory?
However the next part would you mind seeing if I’m on the correct lines it’s the same thing just for kn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 115
I guess I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here. I thought you were going to use spectral information to find number of edges and triangles. But you said you're using formulas you found somewhere one of which uses spectral information and one doesn't. You didn't answer what kind of class this is for...

1. What is a spectrum?

A spectrum is a range of electromagnetic radiation or energy that is arranged in order of increasing or decreasing wavelengths or frequencies.

2. How is a spectrum measured?

A spectrum is typically measured using a device called a spectrometer, which separates the different wavelengths or frequencies of light and measures their intensity.

3. What is the K6-$\lambda$I matrix trace?

The K6-$\lambda$I matrix trace is a mathematical formula used to calculate the wavelengths of light in a spectrum based on the intensity measurements taken by a spectrometer.

4. How is the K6-$\lambda$I matrix trace used in proving spectrums?

The K6-$\lambda$I matrix trace is used to accurately determine the wavelengths of light in a spectrum, which is essential for proving the validity of a spectrum or identifying specific elements or molecules present in the sample being analyzed.

5. Are there any limitations to the K6-$\lambda$I matrix trace?

While the K6-$\lambda$I matrix trace is a useful tool for analyzing and proving spectrums, it does have limitations. It assumes that the sample being analyzed is a perfect gas and that the absorption of light is due to electronic transitions only. These assumptions may not hold true for all samples and could result in inaccurate wavelength measurements.