Proving Subspace Intersection and Finite Linear Combinations in Vector Spaces

In summary, the author attempted to solve a homework equation, but was stalled because he could not figure out how to prove that W was contained in span(S).
sakodo

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space over the field K.

a) Let {[tex]W_{k}:\ 1\leq k \leq m[/tex]} be m subspaces of V, and let W be the intersection of these m subspaces. Prove that W is a subspace of V.

b) Let S be any set of vectors in V, and let W be the intersection of all subspaces of V which contains S (that is, x E W if and only if x lies in every subspace which contains S). Prove that W is the set of finite linear combinations of vectors from S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got this part so I will skip this. Part b is where I am stuck at. Just assume W is a subspace of V.

b) From what I understand, the question wants me to prove that W=span of S. I seriously don't know what to do. I tried to prove that any vectors that are NOT the span of S cannot be in W, but I didn't know where to go from there.

From a book I read, b) is actually a theorem. It says "W is the smallest subspace of V that contains S" but unfortunately it doesn't show any proofs for it.

I feel like I have missed something. Any hints?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show W is contained in span(S), and span(S) is contained in W. Then W=span(S).

Thanks for your reply vela.

I get what you mean. You are saying if A is a subset of B and B is a subset of A, then A=B.

Here is what I got so far:

let S={[tex]\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2}...\lambda_{n}[/tex]}

then, [tex]A1\lambda_{1},A2\lambda_{2}...An\lambda_{n}[/tex] E W1,W2,...Wm. (Closure under multiplication by a scalar.)

and so [tex]A1\lambda_{1}+A2\lambda_{2}+...+An\lambda_{n}[/tex] E W1,W2,...Wm. (Closure under vector addition.)

And so, span(S) E W1,W2...Wm

Thus, span(S) is contained in W, as W is the intersection of W1,W2...Wm.

How do I prove that W is contained in span(S)?

Anyway thanks for your help.

Consider the fact that span(S) is a subspace of V that contains S.

EDIT: I changed the wording in this post to say what I meant to say. Ignore what I had written here earlier.

Last edited:
OMG I GOT IT.

Since the span of S is a subspace of V, and W is the intersection of the subspaces in V that contains S, then obviously W E span{S}.

Thus, span{S} E W and W E span{S} and so W=span{S}.

Therefore, W is the set of finite linear combinations of S. =)

Thanks so much man. You are awesome =D.

Related to Proving Subspace Intersection and Finite Linear Combinations in Vector Spaces

What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

How can you prove that two subspaces intersect?

To prove that two subspaces intersect, you can show that their intersection contains the zero vector and is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. This can be done by showing that any linear combination of vectors in the intersection is also in the intersection.

What is a finite linear combination?

A finite linear combination is a sum of a finite number of vectors, each multiplied by a scalar. For example, in a vector space V, a finite linear combination would be represented as c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn, where c1, c2, ..., cn are scalars and v1, v2, ..., vn are vectors in V.

How do you prove that a set of vectors forms a subspace?

To prove that a set of vectors forms a subspace, you can show that it satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This can be done by showing that any linear combination of the vectors is also in the set.

Can a subspace contain an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a subspace can contain an infinite number of vectors. As long as the three properties of a vector space are satisfied, the subset can be considered a subspace, regardless of the number of vectors it contains.