Proving T is Continuous in a Complex Banach Space

In summary: Thank you for replying to my question.I had considered using the Closed Graph theorem but could only manage to show that (T*f)(x)=f(y). I'm not sure if you can even proceed from here to show that Tx=y and therefore deduce that T is continuous. Is it even necessary to use the Closed Graph theorem?
Cairo
Let X be a complex Banach space and T in L(X,X) a linear operator. Assuming only that

(T*f)(x)=f(Tx), where x in X and f in X*

how can I prove that T is continuous?

Physics news on Phys.org
But (T*f)(x)=f(Tx) is the definition of T*. I don't see how this imposes any constraint on T.

Perhaps I should restate the final remark and say "how is this sufficient to show that T is continuous".

I don't think it suffices. Indeed, take any operator T and defined T* on L* by the equation (T*f)(x) = f(Tx). I don't see how defining T* tells us anything about T. Operator T does not even have to be linear to define T*.

dray said:
Let X be a complex Banach space and T in L(X,X) a linear operator. Assuming only that

(T*f)(x)=f(Tx), where x in X and f in X*

how can I prove that T is continuous?
As Evgeny.Makarov has pointed out, this question appears to be lacking some essential condition. My guess is that the question ought to be telling you that, for each f in X*, the map $x\mapsto f(Tx)$ is continuous. You could then use uniform boundedness to conclude that T is continuous.

Opalg said:
As Evgeny.Makarov has pointed out, this question appears to be lacking some essential condition. My guess is that the question ought to be telling you that, for each f in X*, the map $x\mapsto f(Tx)$ is continuous. You could then use uniform boundedness to conclude that T is continuous.

The question, stated in full is thus:

Let X be a complex Banach space and T in L(X,X), a linear operator not assumed continuous. You may take it without proof that

(T*f)(x)=f(Tx), where x in X and f in X* (1)

defines a linear operator T* in L(X*,X*). Note that, whilst the domain and codomain of T* is the space of linear continuous functionals on X, you should notassume that T* is continuous.

Now, show that if we assume only equation (1), then that is sufficient to prove that T is continuous.
Perhaps Hahn Banach and Closed Graph theorem?

dray said:
The question, stated in full is thus:

Let X be a complex Banach space and T in L(X,X), a linear operator not assumed continuous. You may take it without proof that

(T*f)(x)=f(Tx), where x in X and f in X* (1)

defines a linear operator T* in L(X*,X*). Note that, whilst the domain and codomain of T* is the space of linear continuous functionals on X, you should notassume that T* is continuous.

Now, show that if we assume only equation (1), then that is sufficient to prove that T is continuous.
That seems to agree with what I suggested. The missing information (which you have now supplied) is that T* belongs to L(X*,X*). In other words, for each f in X*, the map T*f is in X*, which means that it is a continuous linear functional on X.

With that information, you can start to think in terms of uniform boundedness.

I'm not that familiar with the Uniform Boundedness Principle, so wouldn't know where or how to apply this result to the question I'm afraid.

dray said:
I'm not that familiar with the Uniform Boundedness Principle, so wouldn't know where or how to apply this result to the question I'm afraid.
For each point $x$ in the unit ball $X_1$ of $X$, define a mapping $S_x:X^*\to\mathbb{C}$ (a linear functional on $X^*$) by $S_x(f) = T^*f(x)$. We are told that $T^*f$ is a continuous linear functional on $X$, and so $|T^*f(x)|\leqslant \|T^*f\|\|x\|$. Therefore $|S_x(f)| \leqslant \|T^*f\|\|x\|$, and $\displaystyle \sup_{x\in X_1}|S_x(f)| \leqslant \|T^*f\|.$

Thus $\displaystyle \sup_{x\in X_1}|S_x(f)|$ is bounded, with a bound $\|T^*f\|$ which on the face of it appears to depend on $f$. But the Uniform Boundedness theorem tells us that in fact this bound is uniform, in other words $\displaystyle \sup_{x\in X_1}\|S_x\| = K <\infty$. Hence $|f(Tx)| = |S_x(f)| \leqslant K\|f\|$ for all $f \in X^*$ and all $x\in X_1$. In particular, $\displaystyle \sup_{f\in X^*_1}|f(Tx)| \leqslant K$. It follows from the Hahn–Banach theorem that $\|Tx\|\leqslant K$ for all $x\in X_1$, in other words $T$ is bounded and therefore continuous.

Opalg said:
For each point $x$ in the unit ball $X_1$ of $X$, define a mapping $S_x:X^*\to\mathbb{C}$ (a linear functional on $X^*$) by $S_x(f) = T^*f(x)$. We are told that $T^*f$ is a continuous linear functional on $X$, and so $|T^*f(x)|\leqslant \|T^*f\|\|x\|$. Therefore $|S_x(f)| \leqslant \|T^*f\|\|x\|$, and $\displaystyle \sup_{x\in X_1}|S_x(f)| \leqslant \|T^*f\|.$

Thus $\displaystyle \sup_{x\in X_1}|S_x(f)|$ is bounded, with a bound $\|T^*f\|$ which on the face of it appears to depend on $f$. But the Uniform Boundedness theorem tells us that in fact this bound is uniform, in other words $\displaystyle \sup_{x\in X_1}\|S_x\| = K <\infty$. Hence $|f(Tx)| = |S_x(f)| \leqslant K\|f\|$ for all $f \in X^*$ and all $x\in X_1$. In particular, $\displaystyle \sup_{f\in X^*_1}|f(Tx)| \leqslant K$. It follows from the Hahn–Banach theorem that $\|Tx\|\leqslant K$ for all $x\in X_1$, in other words $T$ is bounded and therefore continuous.

Thank you for replying to my question.

I had considered using the Closed Graph theorem but could only manage to show that (T*f)(x)=f(y). I'm not sure if you can even proceed from here to show that Tx=y and therefore deduce that T is continuous. Is it even possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
dray said:
I had considered using the Closed Graph theorem but could only manage to show that (T*f)(x)=f(y). I'm not sure if you can even proceed from here to show that Tx=y and therefore deduce that T is continuous. Is it even possible?
That is a very good idea. In fact, the closed graph theorem gives a simpler proof than the uniform boundedness method.

Suppose that $x_n\to x$ and $Tx_n\to y$. The continuity of T*f shows (as you have noticed) that (T*f)(x)=f(y), for every f in X*. Therefore f(Tx)=f(y), or f(Tx-y)=0. Since that holds for all f in X*, it follows from the Hahn–Banach theorem that Tx=y. Thus T is closed and therefore continuous.

Aha!

I never thought to use Hahn Banach.

Thanks

1. What is a complex Banach space?

A complex Banach space is a mathematical concept in functional analysis that refers to a complete vector space over the complex numbers. It is equipped with a norm, which is a measure of the length or size of a vector, that satisfies certain properties such as subadditivity and homogeneity. Examples of complex Banach spaces include the space of all complex-valued continuous functions on a compact interval, and the space of all complex-valued square summable sequences.

2. How is continuity defined in a complex Banach space?

In a complex Banach space, continuity refers to the property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. More formally, a function T is continuous at a point x if for any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that whenever the distance between x and another point y is less than δ, the distance between T(x) and T(y) is less than ε.

3. What does it mean to prove that T is continuous in a complex Banach space?

Proving that T is continuous in a complex Banach space means providing evidence or a logical argument that shows that the function T satisfies the definition of continuity. This often involves using mathematical techniques such as the ε-δ definition of continuity or the open mapping theorem, and making use of the properties of complex Banach spaces.

4. Why is proving T is continuous important in scientific research?

Proving that T is continuous in a complex Banach space is important in scientific research because it allows us to make precise and accurate predictions about the behavior of functions in these spaces. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where complex Banach spaces are commonly used to model real-world systems and phenomena.

5. Are there any common techniques for proving T is continuous in a complex Banach space?

Yes, there are several common techniques for proving T is continuous in a complex Banach space. These include using the ε-δ definition of continuity, the open mapping theorem, the boundedness principle, and the Hahn-Banach theorem. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate technique depending on the specific properties of the function T and the complex Banach space being studied.