Proving that a recurrence holds for all n

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Recurrence
In summary: Not quite sure. It looks a bit as if you only described what the formula says anyway. I would proceed more formally. First name ##G=:G_n \subseteq H_n =\{\,1,\ldots ,n\,\}##. Dependencies should always be noted, otherwise they are a source for confusion and in more complicated situations, a possibility to cheat.Now we have ##\{G_{n+1}\} = \{G_n\} \cup \left( \{G_n \cup \{n+1\} \}\right) \cup \{n+1\}##. So ##\sum_{G_{n+1}}=\sum_{G_n}+\sum_{G_n
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##H=\{2,3,4, \dots , n\}##. Find a recurrence relation that involves the following number: ##\displaystyle \sum_{G\subseteq H}\frac{1}{\prod_{x\in G}}##, where ##G\not = \{\}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##H=\{2\}##, let ##S_2## be the sum. If ##H=\{2,3\}## let ##S_3## be the sum, and so on.

Now, I'm trying to find a recurrence relation, and from looking at small cases it's pretty obviously ##S_n = S_{n-1} + \frac{1}{n}(1 + S_{n-1})##. But how exactly do I prove that this is a valid recurrence relation for all ##n##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the question. I would take ##G:=\{\,2\,\}## and ##S_n:=\sum_{G\subseteq H}\dfrac{1}{\prod_{x\in G}x} \equiv \dfrac{1}{2}## does the job. Without the ##x## in the product, the entire sum is identical ##1##. In either case ##S_n=S_{n-1}## is a valid recursion.

fresh_42 said:
I do not understand the question. I would take ##G:=\{\,2\,\}## and ##S_n:=\sum_{G\subseteq H}\dfrac{1}{\prod_{x\in G}x} \equiv \dfrac{1}{2}## does the job. Without the ##x## in the product, the entire sum is identical ##1##. In either case ##S_n=S_{n-1}## is a valid recursion.
I don't think you can choose what ##G## is. The notation is to indicate that you are iterating over subsets of ##H##

Mr Davis 97 said:
I don't think you can choose what ##G## is. The notation is to indicate that you are iterating over subsets of ##H##
Even then. Without an expression in the product, the product is empty, and thus the entire expression in equal to ##|G|##.

Here is what I see.

If ##H=\{2\}## then ##S_2 = \displaystyle \sum_{G\subseteq H}\frac{1}{\prod_{x\in G}x} = \frac{1}{2}##.

If ##H = \{2,3\}##, then ##S_3 = \displaystyle \sum_{G\subseteq H}\frac{1}{\prod_{x\in G}x} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{2\cdot 3} = 1##.

If ##H = \{2,3,4\}##, then ##S_4 = \displaystyle \sum_{G\subseteq H}\frac{1}{\prod_{x\in G}x} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{2\cdot 3} + \frac{1}{2\cdot 4} + \frac{1}{3\cdot 4} + \frac{1}{2\cdot 3 \cdot 4} = \frac{3}{2}##

Do you see? From here it's pretty clear that ##S_n = S_{n-1} + \frac{1}{n}(1 + S_{n-1})##, but I don't know how to prove that this relation holds for all ##n##, although it clearly does.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Even then. Without an expression in the product, the product is empty, and thus the entire expression in equal to ##|G|##.
I suspect a typo: he probably means ##\prod_{x \in G} x##, not ##\prod_{x \in G}## .

Likes Mr Davis 97
Ray Vickson said:
I suspect a typo: he probably means ##\prod_{x \in G} x##, not ##\prod_{x \in G}## .
Yes, I misread the problem. Sum over all ##G## and product over all ##x\in G##. I first thought it was a certain ##G## and sum and product over it's elements. But what's under the product (and missing) is quite essential. Maybe it's free to choose and one can find any recurrence depending on it.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Ray Vickson said:
Sorry! Yes, I made a typo and what you wrote is correct.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, I misread the problem. Sum over all ##G## and product over all ##x\in G##. I first thought it was a certain ##G## and sum and product over it's elements. But what's under the product (and missing) is quite essential. Maybe it's free to choose and one can find any recurrence depending on it.
So assuming that the recurrence relation is correct, how do I actually prove that it works for all ##n##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So assuming that the recurrence relation is correct, how do I actually prove that it works for all ##n##?
Recursion and induction are a natural pairing. Observe which additional sets ##G## and with them summands have to be added in the step ##n \to n+1##.

Edit: You will not need a formal induction unless you solve the recursion, but the process in the recursion is the same, from ##n \to n+1##. In this case you get the formula straight away.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Recursion and induction are a natural pairing. Observe which additional sets ##G## and with them summands have to be added in the step ##n \to n+1##.

Edit: You will not need a formal induction unless you solve the recursion, but the process in the recursion is the same, from ##n \to n+1##. In this case you get the formula straight away.
Is an argument such as this sufficient? Am I being rigorous enough?

We find a recurrence relation for ##S_n##. Observe that ##S_{n+1}## equals ##S_n##, but we must also take into account the additional element ##n+1##, meaning that after accounting for ##S_n## we then sum over the reciprocal products again but with a ##n+1## always in the denominator. So then we can factor out the ##\frac{1}{n+1}## to get the quantity ##\frac{1}{n+1}(1+S_{n})##. So we have that

$$S_{n+1} = S_n + \frac{1}{n+1}(1+S_{n}) = S_n(1 + \frac{1}{n+1}) + \frac{1}{n+1}.$$

Not quite sure. It looks a bit as if you only described what the formula says anyway. I would proceed more formally. First name ##G=:G_n \subseteq H_n =\{\,1,\ldots ,n\,\}##. Dependencies should always be noted, otherwise they are a source for confusion and in more complicated situations, a possibility to cheat.

Now we have ##\{G_{n+1}\} = \{G_n\} \cup \left( \{G_n \cup \{n+1\} \}\right) \cup \{n+1\}##. So ##\sum_{G_{n+1}}=\sum_{G_n}+\sum_{G_n\cup \{n+1\}} + \sum_{\{n+1\}}## where I omitted the products out of laziness. But it yields $$S_{n+1}= S_n + \sum_{G_n} \dfrac{1}{\left(\prod_{x\in G_n}x\right) \cdot (n+1)} + \dfrac{1}{n+1} = \ldots $$

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97

1. How do you prove a recurrence holds for all n?

The most common way to prove a recurrence holds for all n is by using mathematical induction. This involves proving that the recurrence holds for the base case (usually n = 1 or n = 0) and then assuming it holds for some arbitrary value of n, and using that assumption to prove that it also holds for n+1.

2. What is the importance of proving a recurrence holds for all n?

Proving a recurrence holds for all n is important because it ensures that the recurrence relation is valid and can be used to find the value of any term in the sequence. It also allows for the prediction of future terms in the sequence and helps in understanding the behavior of the sequence as n approaches infinity.

3. Can a recurrence hold for some values of n but not all?

Yes, a recurrence can hold for some values of n but not all. This is known as a partial recurrence and it means that the recurrence relation is only valid for a subset of the sequence. In this case, it is important to specify the range of n for which the recurrence holds.

4. Are there any alternative methods for proving a recurrence holds for all n?

Yes, besides mathematical induction, there are other methods for proving a recurrence holds for all n. These include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by strong induction. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of recurrences.

5. How can I verify that a recurrence holds for all n?

One way to verify that a recurrence holds for all n is by plugging in different values of n and checking if the recurrence relation holds true for each value. Another way is to use a computer program or mathematical software to generate the sequence and compare it to the recurrence relation. Additionally, you can consult with other mathematicians or experts in the field to confirm the validity of the recurrence.