Showing normality by showing it holds for generators

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generators
In summary, the homework statement is that if ##H## is a normal subgroup of ##G## then ##H## is normal in ##G## if and only if ##tst^{-1} \in H## for all ##s \in S## and ##t \in T \cup T^{-1}##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##H = \langle S \rangle## be a subgroup of ##G = \langle T \rangle##. Prove that ##H## is normal in ##G## if and only if ##tst^{-1} \in H## for all ##s \in S## and ##t \in T \cup T^{-1}##. Here ##T^{-1}## denotes the set ##T^{-1}=\{t^{-1} \mid t\in T\}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first direction is easy. Since ##\forall g \in G## we have ##gHg^{-1} \subseteq H## and since ##S \subseteq H## and ##T \subseteq G## then clearly ##tst^{-1} \in H## for all ##s \in S## and ##t \in T \cup T^{-1}##.

The second direction is a bit more difficult. We first note that since ##H = \langle S \rangle## and ##G = \langle T \rangle##, we know that if ##h \in H## then ##h=s_1s_2\dots s_n##, where ##s_i## either represents an element in ##S## or the inverse of an element in ##S##. Likewise, ##g = t_1t_2\dots t_m##. Now, we want to show that ##\forall n,m \in \mathbb{N}##, ##ghg^{-1} = (t_1t_2\dots t_m)(s_1s_2\dots s_n)(t_m^{-1}\dots t_2^{-1}t_1^{-1}) \in H## given that ##tst^{-1} \in H## for all ##s \in S## and ##t \in T \cup T^{-1}##.

We first prove one lemma: ##\forall s \in S## and ##\forall t \in T \cup T^{-1}##, ##ts^{-1}t^{-1} \in H##. So, let ##s \in S## and let ##t \in T \cup T^{-1}## First, we know that ##tst^{-1} \in H##. Now, ##H## is a subgroup and so is closed under inverses. So ##(tst^{-1})^{-1} = t^{-1}s^{-1}t \in H##. But ##t \in T \cup T^{-1}##, which means we also have the result ##(t^{-1})^{-1}s^{-1}t^{-1} = ts^{-1}t^{-1} \in H##, which is what we wanted to show.

Now we want to proceed with the main result. Here is where I am sort of stuck. I can easily show that ##\forall s \in S## that ##gsg^{-1}## by induction on ##n## and that ##\forall t \in T \cup T^{-1}## that ##tht^{-1}## by induction on ##m##, but I am not sure if this is sufficient to show that ##\forall n,m \in \mathbb{N}##, ##ghg^{-1} = (t_1t_2\dots t_m)(s_1s_2\dots s_n)(t_m^{-1}\dots t_2^{-1}t_1^{-1}) \in H##.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you cannot assume all powers ##1## on the left and all powers ##-1## on the right. You actually have to show
$$
t_1^{\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{\varepsilon_m}\cdot s_1^{\eta_1}\ldots s_n^{\eta_n} \cdot t_1^{-\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{-\varepsilon_m} \in H \; , \; \varepsilon_i,\eta_j = \pm 1
$$
which can be done in one single but long line by inserting ##t_1^{\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{\varepsilon_m}t_1^{-\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{-\varepsilon_m}## between all ##s_j^{\eta_j}## which is an essential step missing in your proof. It is actually the only step which is needed.

fresh_42 said:
I think you cannot assume all powers ##1## on the left and all powers ##-1## on the right. You actually have to show
$$
t_1^{\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{\varepsilon_m}\cdot s_1^{\eta_1}\ldots s_n^{\eta_n} \cdot t_1^{-\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{-\varepsilon_m} \in H \; , \; \varepsilon_i,\eta_j = \pm 1
$$
which can be done in one single but long line by inserting ##t_1^{\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{\varepsilon_m}t_1^{-\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{-\varepsilon_m}## between all ##s_j^{\eta_j}## which is an essential step missing in your proof. It is actually the only step which is needed.
So this is the only step that is needed. How do I prove that it holds for all positive integers ##n## and ##m##? Do I use induction?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So this is the only step that is needed. How do I prove that it holds for all positive integers ##n## and ##m##? Do I use induction?
Let's see. We have ##tst^{-1}\in H## for elements of ##S^{\pm 1},T^{\pm 1}## resp. We need ##ghg^{-1} \in H##, but ##g=t_1^{\varepsilon_1}\ldots t_m^{\varepsilon_n}## and ##h=s_1^{\eta_1}\ldots s_m^{\eta_m}##. I have been way too optimistic in the previous post, since I hadn't considered, that ##tst^{-1} {\notin}_{i.g.} S^{\pm 1}##, which indeed complicates the case. The problem is that ##tst^{-1}={s'\,}_{1}^{\tau_{1}}\ldots {s'\,}_{n_1}^{\tau_{n_1}}## and every insertion of another ##t_it_i^{-1}## might blow up the ##s-##word and we possibly will never come to an end. To confine this situation, an induction might help. But I'm not sure and not whether parallel or serial inductions will be necessary. I hope first ##n## and then ##m## will do, for otherwise it will become confusing.

1. What does it mean to show normality by showing it holds for generators?

Showing normality by showing it holds for generators means demonstrating that a group is normal by proving that it is closed under the process of generating new elements. In other words, if all elements that can be created by combining existing elements in the group are also part of the group, then the group is considered normal.

2. Why is it important to show normality through generators?

Demonstrating normality through generators is important because it provides a more efficient way to prove normality in a group. Instead of checking every possible combination of elements, we only need to show that the group remains closed under the process of generating new elements.

3. What is the process of generating new elements in a group?

The process of generating new elements in a group involves using the group's operations (such as multiplication or addition) to combine existing elements and create new ones. This process can be repeated to generate even more elements.

4. How do we show that a group is closed under the process of generating new elements?

To show that a group is closed under the process of generating new elements, we must demonstrate that for any two elements in the group, their combination through the group's operations will result in another element that is also in the group. This can be shown through mathematical proofs or by providing specific examples.

5. Can a group be normal without being closed under the process of generating new elements?

No, a group cannot be normal if it is not closed under the process of generating new elements. This is because normality is defined by the group's ability to preserve its structure under operations, and if new elements cannot be generated, the group's structure cannot be maintained.