Proving that the algebraic numbers are denumerable

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, algebraic numbers can be proven to be denumerable by considering the set of all roots of polynomials of various degrees. This set is based on the set of all n-tuples of integers, which is denumerable. And since a denumerable union of denumerable sets is still denumerable, it follows that the set of algebraic numbers is also denumerable.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that algebraic numbers are denumerable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a very standard exercise, but I haven't looked at its proof and want to see if I can prove it myself.

With each element ##(a_n, a_{n-1},...,a_1,a_0 ) \in \mathbb{N}^n## we can obtain at most ##n## roots of the polynomial ##a_nx^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1x + a_0##. We know that ##\mathbb{N}^n## is denumerable (since it is a countable product of denumerable sets). Let ##R_n = \text{the set of all roots of polynomials of degree n}##. We can think of ##R_n## as being based on ##\mathbb{N}^n##, where each n-tuple is "replaced" by a finite collection of at most ##n## roots. Since in each case we are replacing a single element by a finite number of other elements (roots), the set remains denumerable. So ##R_n## is denumerable. Let ##R = R_1 \cup \cdots \cup R_n##. ##R## is denumerable because it is a finite union of denumerable sets.

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

This is a very standard exercise, but I haven't looked at its proof and want to see if I can prove it myself.

With each element ##(a_n, a_{n-1},...,a_1,a_0 ) \in \mathbb{Z}^n## we can obtain at most ##n## roots of the polynomial ##a_nx^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1x + a_0##. We know that ##\mathbb{Z}^n## is denumerable (since it is a countable product of denumerable sets). Let ##R_n = \text{the set of all roots of polynomials of degree n}##. We can think of ##R_n## as being based on ##\mathbb{Z}^n##, where each n-tuple is "replaced" by a finite collection of at most ##n## roots. Since in each case we are replacing a single element by a finite number of other elements (roots), the set remains denumerable. So ##R_n## is denumerable. Let ##R = R_1 \cup \cdots \cup R_n##. ##R## is denumerable because it is a finite union of denumerable sets.

Edited with corrections

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

With each element ##(a_n, a_{n-1},...,a_1,a_0 ) \in \mathbb{Z}^n## we can obtain at most ##n## roots of the polynomial ##a_nx^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1x + a_0##. We know that ##\mathbb{Z}^n## is denumerable (since it is a countable product of denumerable sets). Let ##R_n = \text{the set of all roots of polynomials of degree n}##. We can think of ##R_n## as being based on ##\mathbb{Z}^n##, where each n-tuple is "replaced" by a finite collection of at most ##n## roots. Since in each case we are replacing a single element by a finite number of other elements (roots), the set remains denumerable. So ##R_n## is denumerable. Let ##R = R_1 \cup \cdots \cup R_n##. ##R## is denumerable because it is a finite union of denumerable sets.

Edited with corrections

There is no limit on the degree of a polynomial that defines an algebraic number, so the actual set of algbraic number is
$$ R = \bigcup_{n=1}^{\infty} R_n.$$
Is that set still denumerable?

Ray Vickson said:
There is no limit on the degree of a polynomial that defines an algebraic number, so the actual set of algbraic number is
$$ R = \bigcup_{n=1}^{\infty} R_n.$$
Is that set still denumerable?
You're right. But a denumerable union of denumerable sets is still a denumerable set, right?

1. What are algebraic numbers?

Algebraic numbers are numbers that can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients. In other words, they are solutions to equations like x2 - 2 = 0.

2. What does it mean for a set to be denumerable?

A set is denumerable if its elements can be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that every element in the set can be assigned a unique natural number.

3. Why is proving that algebraic numbers are denumerable important?

Proving that algebraic numbers are denumerable is important because it helps us understand the structure of different types of numbers. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and analysis.

4. How is the proof that algebraic numbers are denumerable done?

The proof involves constructing a one-to-one correspondence between the set of algebraic numbers and the set of natural numbers. This is typically done by using the fact that a polynomial equation has a finite number of roots and that the coefficients of the polynomial can be expressed as a finite sequence of integers.

5. Are all algebraic numbers denumerable?

Yes, all algebraic numbers are denumerable. This is because the set of algebraic numbers is a subset of the set of complex numbers, which is known to be denumerable. Therefore, the proof that algebraic numbers are denumerable applies to all algebraic numbers.