Proving that the orthogonal subspace is invariant

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the orthogonal subspace of a unitary representation is also an invariant subspace. The participants suggest using the definition of an orthogonal matrix and writing out the explicit proof.
Dixanadu
Hi guys,

I couldn't fit it all into the title, so here's what I'm trying to do. Basically, I have a unitary representation [itex]V[/itex]. There is a subspace of this, [itex]W[/itex], which is invariant if I act on it with any map [itex]D(g)[/itex]. How do I prove that the orthogonal subspace [itex]W^{\bot}[/itex] is also an invariant subspace of [itex]V[/itex]?

I know that an orthogonal matrix is one where its transpose is its own inverse, but I don't know how to apply that here. Can you guys help me out?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's only one way that you can apply it really - you should start by writing out explicitly what it is you need to prove, and then use the fact that you have a unitary transformation.

Related to Proving that the orthogonal subspace is invariant

1. What is an orthogonal subspace?

An orthogonal subspace is a subspace that is perpendicular to a given subspace. This means that every vector in the orthogonal subspace is perpendicular to every vector in the given subspace.

2. How do you prove that the orthogonal subspace is invariant?

To prove that the orthogonal subspace is invariant, you must show that for any vector in the subspace, its orthogonal projection onto the subspace will also be in the subspace. This can be done by showing that the dot product between the vector and any vector in the subspace is equal to zero.

3. Why is it important to prove that the orthogonal subspace is invariant?

Proving that the orthogonal subspace is invariant is important because it allows us to better understand the properties of a given subspace. It also has practical applications in fields such as linear algebra and signal processing.

4. What are some techniques used to prove the invariance of an orthogonal subspace?

Some techniques that can be used to prove the invariance of an orthogonal subspace include using properties of dot products, orthogonal projections, and orthogonal complements.

5. Can the invariance of an orthogonal subspace be proven for any subspace?

Yes, the invariance of an orthogonal subspace can be proven for any subspace. However, it may require different techniques depending on the specific subspace and its properties.