Proving the following properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the operator T(t + ε,t), which describes the change in the wave function from t to t + ε. The condition for T to be a unitary matrix and H to be a Hermitian matrix is discussed, and the steps to prove this property are mentioned. The right hand side of the equation is a matrix with 1 as the identity matrix and the Hamiltonian matrix multiplied by some scalars.
Abhishek11235
Mentor note: Member warned that an attempt must be shown.
1. Homework Statement

This question is from book Afken Weber, Mathematics for Physicist.
An operator ##T(t + ε,t)## describes the change in the wave function from t to t + ##\epsilon## . For ##\epsilon## real and small enough so that ##\epsilon^{2}## may be neglected,

$$T(t+\epsilon, t)= 1 - \frac{i * \epsilon* \text H(t)}{h} $$

WHERE H(t) is hamiltonian, i is complex number ##i = \sqrt-1##, h is constant. Prove that if
  • T is unitary matrix, H is hermitian
  • H is hermitian, T is Unitary

How do I prove this Property. Also what is structure of right hand side of the equation i.e how do I visualise R.H.S of equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abhishek11235 said:
How do I prove this Property.
Start from the initial condition: "if T is a unitary matrix," start with the assumption that T is unitary, write the condition for unitarity of a matrix (applied to T), and continue the derivation until you reach a condition on H. For the second case, you need to do it the other way around.

Abhishek11235 said:
Also what is structure of right hand side of the equation i.e how do I visualise R.H.S of equation?
It is a matrix. 1 will be the identity matrix, and the second term on the RHS is the Hamiltonian matrix multiplied by some scalars.

What does it mean to "prove" a property?

Proving a property means to provide evidence or a logical argument that supports the validity of the property. This often involves using mathematical or scientific principles to demonstrate that the property holds true in all cases.

Why is it important to prove properties?

Proving properties allows us to have a deeper understanding of the natural world and to make accurate predictions and conclusions based on these properties. It also helps to establish a solid foundation for further scientific research and advancements.

What are some common methods used to prove properties?

Some common methods used to prove properties include deductive reasoning, mathematical equations and formulas, experimentation, and statistical analysis. These methods can be used individually or in combination to provide a strong argument for the validity of a property.

Can properties be disproved?

Yes, properties can be disproved if evidence or a logical argument is presented that contradicts the property. This can happen through experimentation or the discovery of new information that challenges the previously accepted property.

How does proving properties contribute to the advancement of science?

Proving properties is essential to the advancement of science as it allows us to build upon existing knowledge and theories. By proving properties, we can better understand the natural world and make new discoveries and innovations that can have a significant impact on society.